BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how people like fishing with a center pin. I currently fish with a drift rod/bait caster set up, and on fly, but I like the way a center pin seems to work, and am considering get myself set up for that style. ??? you can never have to many rod set ups.

· Registered
504 Posts
Hey ditto

Since I bought my first Centerpin I have hardly ever used the level wind for drift fishing. There is just no comparison between the two in my opinion. Once you fight your first fish on a centerpin you will be sold for good.

There is a bit of a learning curve to the art of casting one but well worth it. When I first got mine I was more than a little frustrated with learning the proper casting techniques and found that I would switch back to the level wind after a couple of hours. I finally decided to commit to it and started leaving the level wind at home and once I did that it came very quickly. I will never forget my first cast with the pin my float,weight and gob of roe ended up about 40 feet into the trees directly behind me ::).

Make the switch, you will be very happy you did.

Centerpin 8)

· Registered
177 Posts
Ditto, get that pin going, you'll love it. Much sweeter drifts with the big, slow spool, easier to control & great fun to cast. Very comfy too with your rod hand above the reel hooksets are far more positive & reeling in fish is much less tiring than with a baitcasting setup. One to one drag with no slip like a baitcaster meaning when you have to crank em in...you can. They sound great too, like a sweet 'Dead tune'...a sound I associate with the happiest moments of my life. :2cents:Good luck

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
Some great points, I'll add...I have always enjoyed fighting a fish more on the centerpin as well. I find you are more in tune with the fish. You'll likely find because your hand controls the spool, that you can adjust the amount of drag at a moments notice allowing a fish more or less tension depending on how you want to fight it. Makes things much more intense and rewarding...

Another thing that made me decide to go that route was the added allure of giving the fish a little more of a chance. A 6:1 ratio is a distinct advantage over the fish. By switching to a 1:1 ratio, you need to pay attention...it's much more sporting and challenging. For me, at the end of the day, the pleasure of fishing a centerpin well, far outweighs that of fishing a levelwind.

There are more advantages, but suffice it to say I have never gone back to my levelwind since the very first day I bought my centerpin....

CP made a great point in that if you use the reel exclusively then you will become more proficient with it sooner.

rib

· Banned
2,854 Posts
i bought my pin setup lest september and havent touched the level wind since. way nicer drifts and it takes that added skill to bring in your fish not to mention the action on a 2 or 3 weight pin rod is like an 8 pr 9 wt fly rod its awesome ;D i will never go back

there is even a good setup for sale in the classifieds ;)

HOOK

· Registered
691 Posts
Have to agree that once you've fished the pin it's really hard to go back to the bait caster,i too was very fustrated at first, casting was a chore but once you get the hang of things its :thumbup:

scruffy

· Registered
209 Posts
Fishing the pin is tons of fun. Someone once described it as being the closest thing to flyfishing that a gear guy can get. Kind of true for some of the action. Nice thing about pin is the drift control. With a decent pin that has low start up you can pretty much drift all sorts of froggy water that you can't with a baitcaster. And, it's way more fun fighting a fish as people have said. You are more directly attached to the fish with a pin with one to one ratio. Of course once you start pinning, you find that you have to re-educate yourself on your baitcaster. ;)

· Registered
413 Posts
my baitcaster has 2 inches of dust on it ;D Seriously now, I haven't used my baitcaster to fish the tribs since I got my CP. Loads of fun. You will never go back unless you are a bb'er. :happy:

· Registered
1,386 Posts
Agreed, CP! My baitcaster hasn't seen any action since I got my CP. The fights are better, the drifts better and there is somethingabout when the fish makes a run you get that clicking sounds the CPs make, unmatchable!

· Registered
209 Posts
Mine's also quiet too. Mind you, the other two I have make the same ratchety noise you come to expect.

· Registered
504 Posts
Hey Guys

You have to have the clicker I think that is the best part. After growing up ocean fishing with the old Daiwa 275 and that incredibly load clicker I find that I equate that clicker sound to fishing and I generally purchase all my reels based on how load they are. Just love a screaming reel :happy: :happy:

Centerpin 8)

· Banned
2,854 Posts
i thought fishing with the clicker on was bad and it was there just for stopping the spool from spinning when your walking or storing it?

im pretty sure when you get your pin Ditto someone from here can show you how to cast it.

· Registered
209 Posts
I dont' think it's bad to use it although I suppose it would lead to slightly faster wear and tear on the clicker part itself. It's mainly used to keep the spool from turning when you're not using it. But, it's soooo cool to hear that noise when a fish starts running on you! I love my Mykiss reel but the only thing I don't like about it is that the clicker is almost silent.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.