BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased my first centerpin and am now in the market for a rod to go with. Have searched through this forum and found some really good info on rods. Went and looked at some at A&N and was focusing on the Trophy, Shimano Convergence and a Fenwick, all under $100. Also looked at the Trophy Royal, at about $175,nice rod but getting up there in price. As this is my first CP rod, don't wanna spend too much cuz I don't really know what I want yet. Probably gonna end up buying one this weekend at the Outdoor Show in Abby, if the deals are good.

My question is this..(I know ur saying finally)...does anybody have any old CP rods kicking around they"re looking to sell? My budget is under $100. Also if anyone has any more info on these rods or suggestions I would welcome them all.

Cheers...and see ya at the show! :beerchug:

· Banned
2,854 Posts
hey Fire-Fish

this is a hell of alot closer to your budget. I myself bought a Temple Fork Outfitters 3113 cp rod at A&N for 189.99 plus taxes. its a great all around rod. i have taken 45lb springs on it right down to small coho and its wasnt overkill or undergunned at all. Even though that sage is a nice rod but 400 is a bit steep for a first rod when your switching techniques :confused: :confused:

PS im not trying to steer someone away from buying a rod just trying to help this guy out and he did say he had a budget :beerchug:

FF i see alot of guys fishing the trophy rods but i myself find them a little stiffer with less sensitivity but i have a Convergence for BBing the fraser (g/f's rod) and its nice and sensitive so i bet a CP rod made by them should be alright.

· Registered
1,461 Posts
HOOK said:
hey Fire-Fish

this is a hell of alot closer to your budget. I myself bought a Temple Fork Outfitters 3113 cp rod at A&N for 189.99 plus taxes. its a great all around rod. i have taken 45lb springs on it right down to small coho and its wasnt overkill or undergunned at all. Even though that sage is a nice rod but 400 is a bit steep for a first rod when your switching techniques :confused: :confused:
True HOOK but if he ever decided to sell the sage he wouldnt lose any money, if kept in good shape he might even be able to make $25 out of it. Ive seen KPs sage and its flawless, only signs of wear are on the handle from roe and even that its barely any sign. If I had the money Id scoop it as they do sell for like $500 in stores plus taxes. If a person drops like $200 on a rod plus taxes would equal $225. Then to find out they wanna get a good rod say a sage $500 plus taxes is $560 so in the end youll end up spending roughly $785 rather than $400

· Registered
1,160 Posts
Sage are the most overatted rods EVER, ask any rod builder what SAGE does different to their graphite that makes it sooo much better, nada, any of the top rod companies make products every bit as good and often they have a better graphite quality.
G Loomis, St Croix, Lamiglas, Talon,the list goes on.

It's like buying Nike shoes, ya gotta pay for the name.

Fire-Fish, a great rod to start with is a cheaper one like a Shimano or Trophy, you'll always need a back up once you move on to a more expensive model.

· Registered
58 Posts
Hey FIRE-FISH

I think Mike D might still have his 10' 6" Shimano Convergance center pin rod for sale. I believe he was asking 80.00 OBO for it last time I checked. Maybe check with him to see if it is still available. IMO , A good rod for the money

Musicman

243 Posts
10' trophy XL medium-light. Can handle any steelhead in the valley and coho very well. Under gunned for big springs and chum if you want to release fish. Very good value when you want to hold back on the big $$ gear. Great starter rod and at about $90 brand new off the shelf, right within budget.

· Registered
280 Posts
Just bought one of the Trophys myself and for the money they would be hard to beat.
I also had a Convergance and it was a great rod for the money also.
Cant diagree with buying the Sage 3113 at $400.00 either.
The best centrepin rod ever built in a lot of peoples eyes.
You can buy the Sage now or buy the Sage later but you will get one at some time if you want a good rod that is well built and holds it value better than most.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys this is my first post here on this forum been lurking around for awhile now. Enjoy all the great info...

Fire Fish You may want to consider the Streamside Heritage Coast CP Rod at A&N. It's a 11'3 2 power that
performs very well and is only $115. I use it with a Milner Snipe reel and I cant complain. I thought that the
lighter rod may be underpowered but it will haul in a hog. It has a low fixed reel seat and is finished quite
nicely.

In Fact I just was mooching for winter springs this last week and loved the lighter slow action feel mooching live herring.

Good Luck

· Banned
2,854 Posts
I cant agree with you more Bent Rod :thumbup: I dont buy alot of brand name things just because of the name put on them. Echo is another rod that is high quality and half the or even less than half the cost of Sage rods :confused: Scott rods are excellent from the lower end rods all the way to their higher end, they are canons and can punch out your whole line easily :thumbup: not to mention they fish extremely well. I like how you used the Nike comparison :happy: :happy: because they are the highest price peices of crap out there :naughty: I dont own anything Nike and have only ever owned a couple things in my youth. (like air jordans everyone had to have a pair right :thumbup:)

Fire-Fish try shopping around and you could find a SWEET rod in or around your budget that is exactly what you want.

· Registered
218 Posts
Ditto hook and BR...Biggest fantasy in cp rods is the 3113 .. IMHO.. heavy, soft, a pain in the a$$ to fish with..cast poorly...Ohhhh but it's got the sage name and it's a brown blank... I got a deal on mine, it was mint and I couldn't give it away for close to what they were asking new...
Best bang for your buck and a good quality rod is Lamiglass and gloomis...build your own and there is a never ending amount of choices...Step down and echo and TFO are nothing to sneeze at...

· Registered
1,461 Posts
Wow all the sage haters geez. I fish a lami for low clear days and a shimano on the higher bigger water days. Bought the lami new, made an anchor for a buddy and he gave me the shimano. Before I went and bought the lami pin rod I looked at A LOT of rods. Lami, sage, tfo, g loomis, trophy to name a few. All the rods I played with were stupidly stiff compared to the sages and the lami that I bought(which was a custom tie). Heck even the new 11' 3" lami rod that recently came out is like a frigging 2x4. I wouldnt mind buying a sage 3113 LB(brown blank) so I can get a cheap pin for my daughter to use with the shimano rod.

· Registered
218 Posts
Not hating...just can't believe the hype the 3113 has gotten...I love my sage fly rods, I also think the 3106 2106 are decent sticks..3113 probably was to in it's day...but with what's been happening over the last few years in graphite and combinations of...there are less expensive and better sticks out there...I also just never liked that rod or fishing it!!!

· Registered
138 Posts
I too feel the Sage rods are over rated even though I own 4 of them. I build my own rods now and Lamiglass and Rainshadow make some excellent blanks for the $. My fav rod is a factory built G.Loomis GL3 1261C that's not available any more. As for centerpin rods a owned a 3113MB and it was actually a very good pin rod. I don't fish Centrepins anymore (too Lazy,although a single action in the chuck is the only way) but I would look for something similar to the action of the 3113 for an all around rod. Buy something in your price range and if you like fishing the Centerpin you will eventually gravitate to a more expensive rod. Good graphite is lighter,more sensitive but also thinner so breakage can occur more easily. If you fish a lot you will eventually break a rod and thats what you pay for in a higher end rod the Warranty. Sage drift rods are only made from standard graphite 33-38 million modulus graphite.They are not that sensitive but are durable. I have taken advantage of the warranty several times.

· Registered
273 Posts
Shane said:
Wow all the sage haters geez. I fish a lami for low clear days and a shimano on the higher bigger water days. Bought the lami new, made an anchor for a buddy and he gave me the shimano. Before I went and bought the lami pin rod I looked at A LOT of rods. Lami, sage, tfo, g loomis, trophy to name a few. All the rods I played with were stupidly stiff compared to the sages and the lami that I bought(which was a custom tie). Heck even the new 11' 3" lami rod that recently came out is like a frigging 2x4. I wouldnt mind buying a sage 3113 LB(brown blank) so I can get a cheap pin for my daughter to use with the shimano rod.

Hey Shane,what do you think of the lamiglas blank model GSH1322m,i know this blank action is close to sage 3113LB. ;) :beerchug:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.