BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone hope you all had a great weekend! I'm just wonderin if anyone could give some info on centerpins. Been curious about them the last couple seasons and want one for steelhead this year, but don't have a clue what to look for any help would be greatly appreciated. thanx B

·
Registered
12 Posts
hey bill,do you have a fishing shop you trust?i would ask there opinon,tell them how you would like to spend etc.i ,ve just got one myself,and caught a spring on it this weekend,what a hoot.i live in van,and pacific angler is close,so went talked to jason,
he helped set me up.hope this helps,cheers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just picked up a Center Pin set up....talked to Jason at Pacific Angler...very helpful...ended up getting it through Hatch Matcher in Maple Ridge. Was practicing my casts in the back yard today...really feels nice...taking it out this week. I will let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Disclaimer:No I don't work for and am in no way related to John Milner.This is jusy my personal buying experience.

If your serious about your fishing and are going to do it consistently over your lifetime then I would recommend spending some extra $ and get a good quality centerpin.

I decided to try it out as well and bought the Okuma Aventa CP.It was an ok reel but I found that screws would come loose and I stripped some of them tightening them up.The metal used was pretty soft.Little annoying things like the clicker not engaging sometimes,the handle screws coming loose,etc.

I then picked up a good condition used Milner Kingfisher and have had no problems with it.The quality of materials used and the design of the parts in the construction are vastly superior to the Okuma.It is well worth spending the extra money on a good quality centerpin reel.When I bought my reel I payed $300 tax included for the Okuma and the Milner was $400 tax not included.Save yourself the hassle and spend the extra $ and get a good quality reel.

If you keep an eye on the buy/sell section on this and other forums usually good CPs come up for sale quite often and for decent prices.I can only recommend the Milner because it's the only other CP Ive tried but I've heard the Islander is also a good quality reel.

The rod selection is not as critical as the reel selection,imo,as there are some fairly good rods out there for relatively cheap prices and rods are more of a personal preference for feel rather than function.

·
Registered
32 Posts
mojo7 said:
The rod selection is not as critical as the reel selection,imo,as there are some fairly good rods out there for relatively cheap prices and rods are more of a personal preference for feel rather than function.
That was the way that I looked at it. I figured that I would get a good reel (picked up the Islander), and spend a little less on the rod (damn budget). If I decide that I want to go up to a G Loomis or Sage at a later date, I can keep the same reel, and use the current rod for something else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.