BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

So I'm new to the whole salmon/river scene and I keep seeing/hearing about guys and their "CENTERPINS" or "PINS." haha
I know what they look like and have watched the video youtube...

Just want to know what the fuss is all about and why everyone has a bone-diddly for them?!

thanks

b

· Registered
131 Posts
The thing is that it's a more "pure" form of fishing, like flyfishing. Baitcasting and spincasting reels have gear ratios that allow you to bring in more line for every turn of the handle, while pins and flyreels only bring in one turn of line for each turn of the handle.

For me, the lure is more in the zen of it, the purity, and the easy feel of it. Baitcasting reels are efficient, pins are special.

:D
Tex

· Banned
121 Posts
Fashion statement.

Go out, buy a $600 Sage 3113 and a $500 bearing(lame)kingfisher, with your $750 G4 sim waders and still cannot catch fish.

Centrepin reels have their place, but they're not the best reel to be using in some circumstances. Choose your weapons wisely, don't take a pea shooter when you need a .45 auto!

· Registered
29 Posts
I prefer drifting with a single action a bit more than a level wind but for me I prefer the fight among all other reasons. Level winds are better when there are lots of people around or no room behind you to cast of course(havent mastered the wallis yet :p). Casting far isn't really a problem for the most part.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
yup just a personal preference and I find most "pin" fisherman enjoy their fishing days just that little bit more :cheers: I know i do. I havent fished a level wind in over 2 yrs now but i i sold my old setup and had to fish a LW for a day and i hated every minute of it :pissed: especially the bringing in fish part...it just wasnt personal enough like the 1to1 ratio a pin gives you with the fish ;D

most people start with a LW and then make the transition........or dont

· Registered
131 Posts
kingpin said:
pure sounds a little snobbish.... its a preferance thats all.
Sorry kp - not meant to sound snobbish. I certainly am not snobbish - I use a levelwind when fishing rivers for salmon 75% of the time anyhow. ;)

When I say pure, I mean simply that there is no added gear ratio to give you an advantage. It's also a more traditional way to fish for salmon, hence my term. Sorry if it implied elitism. :)

Cheers,
:D
Tex

· Registered
1,515 Posts
HOOK said:
yup just a personal preference and I find most "pin" fisherman enjoy their fishing days just that little bit more :cheers: I know i do. I havent fished a level wind in over 2 yrs now but i i sold my old setup and had to fish a LW for a day and i hated every minute of it :pissed: especially the bringing in fish part...it just wasnt personal enough like the 1to1 ratio a pin gives you with the fish ;D

most people start with a LW and then make the transition........or dont
It's totally snobbish to say that most pin fisherman enjoy their fishing more than people using other equipment. Just like the fly fisherman that turn up their noses at gear fisherman. Who cares how people fish as long as they get out there.

· Registered
1,061 Posts
RI4B07 said:
Fashion statement.

Go out, buy a $600 Sage 3113 and a $500 bearing(lame)kingfisher, with your $750 G4 sim waders and still cannot catch fish.
So true.....I feel like I'm in Paris at a modelling runway some days. It seems all of a sudden that "you are the man" or you have to be seen if you use a single action reel. Heres one for ya, recently on a fishing expedition I came across some newbies that apparently had alot of coin. They made sure I saw all their flashy centerpins as I talked to them, funny part was when they started to cast, comedy of errors. Backlashes, errant casts into the bush beside them etc...they looked fashionable though. They all had a good laugh at me cause I was wearing a pair of beat up hip boots with a gallon of goop on them, a vest that is covered in roe slop that I'm not even allowed to bring into the house anymore, and an old beat up silex with halfmoons all over the reel face.

Btw, I only paid $280 for my 3113mb new, 15 years ago.

· Registered
940 Posts
For myself personally, being new to the pin, as I have mainly fished level wind my entire life, using the pin seems to lend itself to more of a personal challenge to me. That is just me personally.

I like knowing that on the other end of the line, it is just the fish and to get that fish in, will require a 1:1 ratio on each crank of the pin. There are no gears to assist me when the fish decides to take a run, it is all me and the pin.

I don't think that those who use their pins are necessarily enjoying their days out on the flows more than those that choose alternate methods. It is merely a personal preference on your perspective of an enjoying day out on the flow. No matter how you slice it, a day out on the flow be it with a spey, single hander, pin or a level wind, beats any day sitting at work or on the couch.

So far, the pin has been a great experience for me, away from the level wind. Looking forward to many more outings, as I see it as a new challenge each time out with it.

:cheers:

Thrasher

· Registered
3,796 Posts
I fly fish. I only fly fish. I think it boils down to some thing my father-in-law once told me, when I asked him why he never ordered anything but a clubhouse sandwich when we had lunch out. "I like them, so why would I try anything else." All the talk about going from one form to another (LW to CP), the challenge, the 1 -on-1 battle, etc. boils down to one thing only. We all fish the gear we fish because "we like them". If you think using one type of gear makes you superior to those who haven't "evolved" to your lofty heights, your are very deluded. Just admit, you fish the gear you do (whatever it is) because you like it. Don't assume anyone who doesn't use the same gear isn't enjoying the experience as much as you do. That's just elitism and should have no place in our sport.

· Registered
883 Posts
professori said:
I fly fish. I only fly fish. I think it boils down to some thing my father-in-law once told me, when I asked him why he never ordered anything but a clubhouse sandwich when we had lunch out. "I like them, so why would I try anything else." All the talk about going from one form to another (LW to CP), the challenge, the 1 -on-1 battle, etc. boils down to one thing only. We all fish the gear we fish because "we like them". If you think using one type of gear makes you superior to those who haven't "evolved" to your lofty heights, your are very deluded. Just admit, you fish the gear you do (whatever it is) because you like it. Don't assume anyone who doesn't use the same gear isn't enjoying the experience as much as you do. That's just elitism and should have no place in our sport.
Very well said professori :cheers:

· Registered
138 Posts
[/quote]
It's totally snobbish to say that most pin fisherman enjoy their fishing more than people using other equipment. Just like the fly fisherman that turn up their noses at gear fisherman. Who cares how people fish as long as they get out there.
[/quote]

Nuff Said :beerchug:

· Banned
2,854 Posts
i wasnt trying to be snobbish. I just find my fishing alot more peaceful and enjoyable when im fishing my pin as opposed to my level wind.

Nice_One, start with a pin then :p I just said "most" people these days transition for LW to a pin. the "old timers" i would bet started out with pins ;) Wish i had

· Registered
1,113 Posts
professori said:
That is the most refreshing and honest piece of literature I have seen in a long time Professori. Thank you for that. :beerchug: :cheers:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.