BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished the C/V river last October with some friends. We had a blast, caught numerous white springs and chums (all on fly gear) and a couple of silvers that apparently didn't pay attention the fact that few of their brethren were running. ;D

We were told that the river was at record lows. THe water was exceptionally clear, and we could easily see fish at the bottom of deeper pools.

Apparently, there was record flooding in either late October/early November. I guess I'm wondering how the system fared, and did the river change much?

KP

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
The river changes after every flood and new places often need to be found to fish following these events....The singlemost factor to consider is the amount of rain we get between September 'til the end of November. Last year we had virtually no rain for four months and the river was at record low levels...This year is the opposite....The river is just coming into shape(although still a bit high). It will continue to drop until September....If we get rain it comes up. If we gets lots of rain, it comes way up....If you are planning a trip, check out the river levels page on this site....The optimum fishing level is usually between 1.7-2 meters at the crossing. Currently, it is around 2.7 meters. Last year it was around 1 meter and that is a bit too low for most good fishing opportunities.....Ortho 8)

·
Registered
209 Posts
fishortho said:
The river changes after every flood and new places often need to be found to fish following these events....The singlemost factor to consider is the amount of rain we get between September 'til the end of November. Last year we had virtually no rain for four months and the river was at record low levels...This year is the opposite....The river is just coming into shape(although still a bit high). It will continue to drop until September....If we get rain it comes up. If we gets lots of rain, it comes way up....If you are planning a trip, check out the river levels page on this site....The optimum fishing level is usually between 1.7-2 meters at the crossing. Currently, it is around 2.7 meters. Last year it was around 1 meter and that is a bit too low for most good fishing opportunities.....Ortho 8)
All good info above. Also, the almost record amount of rain we had last year has damaged the river. Now when there's a decent amount of rain, the river clarity drops rather significantly due to claybank erosion and runoff into the river that happens as a result. So, also check the weather forecast and make sure it hasn't been raining a lot either or else water clarity will also be a factor.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
The Chilliwack system is an unfriendly river since the fall floods, she runs ugly most the time and both warm weather and any rain makes it puke clay.
Come prepared for limited vis, bright and large offerings are important.
I seriously believe that barfishing spin n glos is about a good method as any at this time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I guess I'm a little less critical of my old friend the Chilliwack! Spent 4 of the last 8 days pokin' about from the prison down to Wilson Rd. First couple days water was high and dirty, but Sun. and Mon. there was 18-24" of clarity. Saw a lot of Sockeye, Spring and Trout on Sun., most fish action I've seen in quite a while on the system! Tried everything under the sun to entice them on Sun., but they just jumped around the run I was fishing and laughed at me. Did the first light thing Mon. morning with lots of frothing again. This time I was rewarded and caught and released two springs, 14-18 pounds!! So cut the not-so-purdy Chilliwack some slack, she's always good for a few spring, coho, steelies, even some decent trout!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.