BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
We are looking at getting a Chartplotter for the boat, looking at both the Garmin-546S or the Lowrance HDS7, wondering what others are running or pros and cons for either of them, any feedback would be much appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Haven't played around with the Garmin unit.....but have used the Lowrance extensively and really like it. If I recall there was a thread like this over on SFBC asking the same thing and Lowrance seemed to garner the most "yes" replies than anything.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi

I have had a Garmin chart plotter / GPS / Sounder as well as the Lowrance HDS8. I liked the Garmin for the plotter / GPS excpet that the screen was perhaps a little more reflective or not super bright on sunny days. The sounder was OK. The HDS has a unreal sounder! I can say for certain that we have caught more fish as we get a very clear idea of what is going on and we adjust our depths accordingly. We can see the cannonballs and the flashers on the screen and it is easy to match the depths with the fish. The GPS chart plotter is Ok. The screen is super bright and can be seen in any conditions. For fishing the HDS Lowrance is really pretty hard to beat with the Navionics Plat.plus card installed.

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have a HDS 5 and a HDS 7
Both great units IMO, great sounders and with the Navionics cards its more plotter than I can use.
I know a few people that are not real happy with the Garmin G-charts so I would recommend something that uses Navionics charts.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
One thing i found interesting is that my Lowrance with the Navionics card doesn't have any bottom contours after about 40 miles out while my cheap Standard Horizon with the C-Map card that i bought as a back up actually works way out there.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
One thing i found interesting is that my Lowrance with the Navionics card doesn't have any bottom contours after about 40 miles out while my cheap Standard Horizon with the C-Map card that i bought as a back up actually works way out there.
At that point shouldn't it basically just have the letters across the screen that say "DEEP" ??? :p ;) :peace:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.