BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

· Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow anglers,

A problem has come to us on the Chehalis river. We have been seeing poor broodstock returns of coho, summer red springs, and both summer and winter run steelhead, over recent years. One problem is the fact that the hatchery has seen very little water flowing by it, this has occured due to the fact that the river has blown its way straight through the forest below the easter seal run. This has resulted in the hatchery having difficulties receiving broodstock fish. As when the fish enter the river they are normally found in the canyon a few days later. So this is leaving our beloved chehalis hatchery with little to deal with broodstock wise, resulting in low returns of hatchery fish. Alowing huge deaths of fish stocks being killed off due to the hathcery being pretty much out of the water for around 8 years now.

They cannot do any channel work until a window provided by FOC in the late summer. The work cannot be given the thumbs up. The hathcery has an estimated $10 000 to use to the get the channel going past the hatchery, and as many of you know a lot more than 10 grand is needed! This will cost way more $$$ as there is going to be a ton of gravel needed to switch the channel over. Plans have not exactly been agreed or even considered upon.

Fisherpeoples are now noticing that the river is becoming very inaccessable, the diversion is not only needed for the fish, but to also relieve fishing pressure off of the spots available.

So now to the purpose of signing this petition:

If you leave/send your name with me or post it here, this is saying that you are letting DFO know that you won't stand for standing around this year and that you want the work to be done correctly this time so we can have continuous brood stock requirments met and awesome angling oppourtunities for the FUTURE!!

Once I get enough people to sign I will send an e-mail or mail in the names to the Local and Federal DFO departments (depends who is in charge). And this has also been developed to save you some grace of calling in and complaining to DFO yourself. Maybe if they see that a strong majority of recreational fisherman want to see a change, and if they get pressured enough by not only us, but by other organizations they will realize that this diversion needs to be done properly this time! lets not make it 3 disasters in a row!

I know I will try to get myself involved more (could be hard only being 16) and I'm also renewing my FVSS membership (all anglers should join this!) so if I can attend a meeting of some sort I can try to see what they have to say on the matter! or I'll make a call this week to one of the Presidents.

Please leave your name here or PM/e-mail them to me [email protected]

Thanks, Tight Lines & Loops
Mike
<")))))><

· Registered
504 Posts
Re: Chehalis Diversion Project Petition (sign it here!)

Email on its way Mike

Thanks

Centerpin 8)

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts

My name is good for it too Mikey D! Just let me know when you need the email for the petition and I will put one together. Also, If you want any help writing or editing the petition, I'd be happy to help if you like.

good idea!

rib

· Registered
1,386 Posts

While Ironhead had made some really good points (on the other site), I would have to say that the hatchery should have some flow from the main river. Without it how effective can the hatchery actually be? My one concern would have to be what happens to the fish in the lower when they do divert it? Too bad so sad?

The river has definitely made its course permanently through the forest, this would be a huge undertaking to say the least to divert the entire flow to the hatchery. However, do we need to divert the entire flow? I would have to say no. The Hatchery does need the whole river but an access point to it. If they were to trench out the flow to the hatchery, install a splitter of sorts that takes a portion of the main flow and diverts it to the hatchery. This would keep the new flow the way it is but also create a side flow on a smaller scale that connects the river to the hatchery.

Another thing to keep in mind is if it is completely diverted how do you prevent the same from happening again, it is near impossible.

· Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Well I can't say I wasn't warned by BERGLER! but: I guess one has to realize that societies were made for reasons....regard the FISHBC poll.....and to let everyone know all info recieved has been deleted....

Cammer and to all....my sincere appology :( i should have made at least 3 phone calls and got some input before I went with this....I did not mean to improperly do anything so...I am completely embarrassed and humilitated not only for myself but for all the anglers to which I have ruined (maybe) chances for....I was just trying to do a good deed to my fellow fisherman....and to cammer......I am sorry for taking what you said and posting it in my own words in my 3 posts (FWR, BCFR, FISHBC) hope you take none of this personal as the last thing I want is to have pi$$ed off fisherman at me....and I do have pretty good experience on the chehalis...maybe not as much as you do...but I know a few things...except for summer reds/steel...I've been filled in time to time on how there was only 4 inches of water etc...and heard that spring fishing used to be killer in there back in the day...

Now, the only reason I did this is that I thought it could help...I'm just a caring teenager that is trying to help a river that he has loved to fish for the past 8 years...and hopes to fish it for at least the next 25 years...now I am known to take things way to far...and have a rep for it...but I thought if you (we the anglers) had proof by name as to how many anglers really did want this change...I thought I'd give you the names and you'd be like thanks this could be great BACKUP if the letters don't suceed we can show them that the fisherman reely want change! I'm having a huge brainfart now due to my face being very red and the pain in my gut....and just so you know in the 1st 18 hours of this being posted I got 20 names.....not too good....but I dunno....just to get the fact straight...just tried to help..sorry to all.

Cammer: I'd appreciate it if you'd send me an e-mail on something I can do to help besides keeping my trap shut!

MODS: PLZ delete this thread ASAP

Mike <"))))))><

· Registered
909 Posts

Well Mike, Good to see some passion in your beliefs and the willing ness to put your neck on the line. All to often as a society we have become passive and reluctant to do anything about a potential problem till it is to late. It will be intresting to see how MOE and DFO colaberate to solve the in flow problem. Maybe the construction of a side channel or a feed line will solve the problems they are facing.
Cheers,
CrazyD

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts

I would like to weigh in on this, but if I do so now, I'll be late for work. Chin up Mike, don't let anyone make you feel small for your efforts, your heart was in the right place. I've read the part about deleting the thread, but I think we'll hold off on this action for now as there are some very interesting points being brought up here, and I think everyone should consider this issue with all the facts. I'll post tonight.

rib

· Registered
1,437 Posts

Mike,

As Crazy Drifter stated, Don't lose your passion regarding fishing and your willingness to help. Guess we all can learn from this ....... and that's what life's about. We all at times jump before we look and check out the water. ;D ;D

Hope you don't ever lose your eagerness to help ......... at your age the door is open ...... and the ways you can contribute towards this great sport endless. I for one enjoy your input and comments ....... you are a valuable member of this site.

We all make mistakes ......... Let it go. ;)

GOFISH 8)

· Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

GOFISH said:
Mike,

As Crazy Drifter stated, Don't lose your passion regarding fishing and your willingness to help. Guess we all can learn from this ....... and that's what life's about. We all at times jump before we look and check out the water. ;D ;D

Hope you don't ever lose your eagerness to help ......... at your age the door is open ...... and the ways you can contribute towards this great sport endless. I for one enjoy your input and comments ....... you are a valuable member of this site.

We all make mistakes ......... Let it go. ;)

GOFISH 8)
Thanks Guys, I got a lot of e-mails and pm's saying thankyou and that I did the right thing! I also am now getting involved with a few societies now so I guess my learning lesson opened a few doors ;D

Mike <"))))))><

· Registered
3,378 Posts

Let me ask you one question, Mike....Do you think for a minute that those that slammed your post thought about YOUR reasons for posting the info?...LIkely not....They would have some personal views on the matter and merely wanted you to have a few additional facts....You have nothing to delete, nothing to apologize for, and certainly, those that know you realize you have conservation, concern for the BC Fishery and a good heart.....Tell 'em to take a walk!.........If every 16 year old out there had half the concern you have for our fisheries we would be further ahead...........Just my 2 cents..........Ortho

· Registered
3,796 Posts

Mike - I checked the thread on the rival site, as well as the one that started you off. The one guy who slagged you the hardest may have had a point, but in his thread that got you going, he suggested that everyone write the DFO to let them know we want action. Can't fault you for taking the guy's advice. Let it slide, in your life you are going to make many more mistakes and if this is the worst you will be a blessed man.

· Registered
1,437 Posts

Okay ....... I've been doing some searching and here is a letter I found ...

Rodney A Clapton

To: [email protected]
07/09/2006 12:14 PM
Subject: Chehalis River

Mr. Sprout: In your capacity as Director General of Pacific Region we are
seeking your assistance in resolving the on going water diverson issue on
the Chehalis River. Recent years have seen significant reduction of water
flows to the hatchery resulting in loss of brood stock capture for chinnok
and steelhead stocks. This problem has been identified in the past and
proposals have been developed to divert the river back to the original
channel which accomodates hatchery operations. We were under the
impression the required diversion would take place. Unfortunately this has
not transpired and the window of opportunity for this season is fast
closing.

We appreciate your consideration of our concerns and I know our concerns
are shared by many other organizations.

Rod Clapton, President
B.C. Federation of Drift Fishers

It is from the BCFDF Site dated July 2006. They have stated in some of their letters they have 900 members province wide. Damn that must mean that every fisherman is on the Chilliwack/Vedder on a good day steelheading. Must be lots of visitors on the Fraser during Sockeye season too. ::) ::)

In all honesty ..... to say you have 900 members ..... and state that ...
"The B.C. Federation of Drift Fishers with over 900 members province wide is recognized as the voice of river anglers"
to me seems like someone's blowing their horn. Don't get me wrong they (like other member groups) have and will continue to contribute to saving our resource. But I don't believe that I signed off on giving them or any of their members the right to be my voice regarding issues.

Obviously nothing has been done yet to resolve the issue at the Chehalis ...... what's missing is any iniformation stating that something is going to BE DONE AND WHEN!!! And now someone's worried that if Mike starts a petition it will piss someone in government off. ???

I've had many dealing with governments ........ most at a city or regional level ...... but also a few at a provincial level. Trust me ...... sometimes you gotta shake the tree to get some of the nuts to move from their hiding places. Sometimes it takes a good kick in the arse to get government to stand up and get something done.

Mike ...... I commend you on your idea for a petition ..... in my opinion you have nothing to be ashamed of. You have every right to speak out on this issue as does anyone else. Sometimes a person has to take the bull by the horns to get the job done. I fail to see how a petition signed by fishermen ......... BCFDF members or not could do any harm.

Seems ironic to me that the BDFDF states that they are the "voice of river anglers" yet are telling not only Mike but those that would support signing a petition to SHUT UP!!!

GOFISH 8)

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts

Wow, long day...Just got in but have read all the posts and everyone makes some valid points. I never expected we wouldn't be able to read Mike's letter before he sent it...I know he would have put it up here so that we could all see what we were putting our names to. I hope you kept your chin up Mike, because I really don't think you did anything wrong. Ortho wrote what I was thinking when I read his post. Prof, gofish everyone...made great points.

Whatever nonsense it was that distracted us from the original task, taking care of one of our great rivers, is behind us now. What was the intent of the idea...? Obviously Mike's intent, and the one many of us rallied to, including me, was to do something good for the resource we enjoy so much.

I don't want to go into a long post here, I have some pm's coming back to me, and will add some more to this later, but I think it's important we don't just leave it at this!!!!!

I think a letter should still be written, maybe two...lending our support for one and lobbying to another, without cynicism or bitterness, but something more convincing, and kill em with a smile... ;)

But kill isn't the right word, or the issue, that's the delivery. We need to talk about what needs to be delivered. Let's get the perspectives of all the parties involved, get all the facts. Then we can write a letter or two and see if our determination can really achieve something.

I propose we get a quote if possible, and/or documented fisheries objectives with regards to this issue and the river as a whole. We also talk to the hatchery and find out what the real concerns are. Talk to First Nations and see what they have to contribute, and so on and so forth....whoever else might raise a voice.

We should start there. If we have half the passion and motivation you all have shown in this thread, we can still put it to good use. But let's just do the research before we write any letters. We don't know what to write yet!

We might just find we'd write one letter of support to the hatchery and then a bunch to fisheries, expressing how much we feel this resource means to us and to others who will come after us...

Maybe if we kill em with kindness, we can get somewhere that's good for everyone. I'm sure everyone here has at one time or another, come to the realization that, people don't respond well to anger, or aggression. They're more likely to respond to reason, not some loud mouthed, over bearing or inflexible wall.

Let's work it out here, we'll all learn something...and then we'll do something.

(ps I really liked the way BCFR responded to this thread, everyone here kept their heads, and that's part of what makes this sight great...)

rib

· Registered
1,437 Posts

Sorry ..... I just fail to see how anything worded like this would hurt ??? ???

To: [email protected]
<Date>

Dear Mr Sprout,

Being a sports river drift fisherman and a tax paying resident of the Province of BC I urge and request that:

The on going water diverson problem on the Chehalis River be resolved to divert the river back to the original channel that accomodates hatchery operations. Your immediate attention is required to save this valuable resource.

Yours Sincerely,

Joe Fishermen
1234 Any Steet
<City>, BC <Postal Code>

GOFISH 8)

· Registered
1,386 Posts

Well put Rib.

What I have found with the government in my job is that you need to show them the way. If you just tell them that it should be done and end it there, not likely anything will happen. But, if you were to tell them what needs to be done, show them how, tell them how much (most important) and also show them the consiquences if they don't ie. loss of fish stocks means less people fishing means less money back in license fees and taxes on fishing gear.

A well written letter followed up by a sound proposal including everything that I mentioned above as well as when so there will be minimum interrupt of any major runs of steelhead or salmon and the government will bite, though I hear they have the take of a sturgeon ;)

I will still stand by my original post, that I am in. If I can help in any way, perhaps get some quotes or write up the proposal for them, it's what I do!

1 - 20 of 146 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.