BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm planning an outing for a stag and he wants to do some camping. I was thinking either the Chilliwack Lake or Chehalis Lake. So here sre some questions to anyone who has been there before.

Chehalis vs Chilliwack: (never been to either)

1. Lake access. I have a 4x4 but want to bring a 22 ft camper trailer? also looking for a remote area.
2. Must fit a decent amount of people. 20 or so. Multiple sites next to each other?
3. Are the lakes open? I heard the chehalis is closed right now?? Is this true?

Any other ideas are welcome as well. We are looking to camp with our vehicles this time so no hike in spots! Descent fishing would be nice as well.

PS. dont worry about us leaving a messy site, I'm like the Gestapo when it comes to a clean forest! Bring it in, Bring it out!

Cheers

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Heh steelie, depending on when this stag is, had you considered the hot springs at skookumchuck/st. mary's well??? There's the lillooet river (steelies, springs, dollies,etc.) and built up hot springs from natural springs in a great area to camp with multiple vehicles....But of course it all depends when you're going...pm me for more info, if required.
rib

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wedding is in May so the stag will be in april. I think we might be looking for more of a lake area than a river. BUt I appreciate all suggestions.

Thanks Ribwart

Cheers

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Well I haven't camped up at chehalis, but I have driven up there you could easily get up there without a 4x4, but you might also consider sayers lake, nobody will hear you up there and there are some decent trout in that lake....
other suggestions I have are: weaver lake, and there are a few near weaver that also have good rec sites that are secluded.... but chilliwack lake is probably just as good, the only bonus to sayers is that despite be fairly secluded, you're still close enough to civilization to be able to run into town for a short trip for anything you might need....ie beer, party favors :lol: anyway I guess I must miss going camping, as I haven't gone in quite some time and so you've inspired me there steelie trav,
I've decided I'll be camping out at thurston meadows with my old man (recently retired) next week wed-sat! It'll be good to wake sounds other than car horns blaring.... and hopefully some chrome steelies, good luck planning the stag, I know Sayers lake goes by another name, but I can't quite remember it right now....you might look into it, we've pulled some footballs out o there in late apr, early may on damsels, although I haven't been there in a couple years....
good luck
rib

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hey Steelie Trav,
A word to the wise if your travelling up Chilliwack Lake road and theres a road block like the one usually at Tamahi Bridge, and you are not a resident you will leave a few wobbly pops short, even if you are going camping . You may want to consider the Harrison side, but I've heard they do the same for vehicles heading to Sasquatch Park so Chehalis might be a safe bet. I'm having brain farts on lake ideas but if i think of one i'll post it for ya. What about bar fishing on the fraser, we had a stag for a buddy a couple years ago out on the river, fished for coho,springs, sturgys' all in the same day all from the comfort of the lawn chair
CrazyD :wink:

Reactions: Rib

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ribwart, I've been to sayers before...never fished it though. I'm looking for a nicer place to camp. I don't like camping in the stave area. Too dirty and I camped there too much when I was younger. I want a nice clean area to camp on the beach preferably. I'ld be down with the fraser, but it is not really a fishing stag. My buddy is a camper/hiker who fishes every now and then. He wants to be on a lake. I figure it might as well be a nice fishing lake too :wink: . As for the road block at Tamahi...they take everyones beer there?? Why? It makes sense for underage partiers but our group will be 24 to 50 years old or so.
I was also thinking of Jones Lake. I know my truck could drag that camper there. Or possibly Hale creek on Harrison. What is the access like at Hale creek for any who has been there?

Cheers

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yeah it was a couple summers ago we were going up to see the outlaws, they were camping up at the lake prov camp ground. It was my self and wife in the truck both early 30's. I dont konw if he was having a bad day or what but it had something to do with alcohol in a provincial camp ground. The beer was even in the box, in the canopy.
The Jones lake might be a good idea for all your activities, it can get busy with day traffic if the weather is nice though
CrazyD

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know of a nice spot up at jones. We camped ther last summer..it was a blast. Didn't catch anything though, other than a hangover :lol:

Where is the provincial campground area? Is ther access to the west side? I've never been to chilliwack lake and I usaul;ly try and stay away from fellow camper as we can be quite loud for most of the night sometimes.

Sounds like the options might be jones or chehalis. I would like to head to the chilli one day.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I haven't been to Chilliwack Lake in years, so I can't give you too much info on it. But, I have been to Chehalis.
The Chehalis North site is apparently locked for most of the off-season. I think you can get the key from the caretaker with some notice (and deposit?). I think its run by the same fine folks who run the Weaver Lake site. It was locked last March when I tried to go (Ended up at the south site - NOT accessable with a big trailer). That said, I don't think the road to the north end is well-suited to bringing a trailer up. Very rough past the mid-lake campground, lots of cross-ditches, not well maintained, if at all. 4x4 + clearance is a definite advantage. But if you can get up there, it will hold 20+ people. Beautiful site though, one of my favorite camping areas.

Check here for more info: http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfp/rec/rec.htm
Click on the 'Listing of Recreational Sites' link and check for sure.

Hope this helps.

P.

·
Registered
730 Posts
20 mile bay- Harrison Lake, turn left at Saskquach Inn, besides on the way if no-one at wolf or small grace to the right you may have the whole place to yourself, grace the last time I was there only had two camp-sites side by side, get em both and the place is yours, if not keep going till you get to 20 mile bay.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've heard that Hale creek on the west side of Harrison is nice? Has anyone been there?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hale creek is a beautiful beach, I was there in the summer, but it's truck access only. I made it out in 2 wheel drive because I have mud terrains on my truck, but my buddy had to drop his truck into 4 in one cross ditch because he had crappy tires. I don't think you're going to get a trailer in there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts