BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tune in to Global news tonite to get a look at Chehalis Lake. Huge mountain slide and massive destruction in the area!!!

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
Saw that...! :eek: Still trying to get a feel for which side of the lake and how bad the damage was though...Appearently a tsunami like wave resulted from the mountainside hitting the lake...This must have had an effect on the lower river...anyone have any input from the weekend at the chehalis...? Let us know....

thx,

rib

· Registered
883 Posts
I was wondering what was with all the helicopter traffic I saw yesterday over the mountain range there... All I can say is WOW... When I saw the news I was in shock. I frequent that area quite often. Massive amount of damage. Looks like south west side of the lake. I think.

· Registered
185 Posts
i had heard that it had washed out a couple of bridges, anybody have any idea which ones? i assume that they are the ones just below the lake on the way to the campground but im not sure what the new really said.

-fishey

· Registered
1,199 Posts
What a mess! Going to take a while to clean up all those logs - sure hope no one was around when that happened! Thank god it didnt happen in Summer as Im sure there would have been fatalities.

· Registered
909 Posts
Did'nt get a chance top catch the news tonight, was there a wave down the river, if so was there any missing persons reports yet
CD

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
I suspect the wave was buffered to a high extent by the geography of the river. I Hope nobody was hurt as a result of the slide. Regardless, a good deal of damage may still have occurred.

· Registered
54 Posts
On the news the said they weren't sure when the slide occurred. It is amazing no one reported a quick rise in the river around the road by the hatchery. It seems like someone is always fishing and would have noticed. Maybe it occurred during the monsoon time when the river was already blown and nobody was in the area. That might have been a good thing.

· Registered
56 Posts
Just watched the recording of the news report on Global's website. Can't even imagine a wave obliterating trees as big as they show laying around on the beach. They figure a wall of water 30 - 40 feet high went across the lake, up the hillside, then bounced back all the way to the other side again.

RR

· Registered
883 Posts
This is some information that I have dug up last night from some good friends.. The logs in the lake have drifted down to the outflow area of the lake... The logs have bottle neck this area, as a result of this the logs are starting to pile up on each other there. There are reports of logs down the river already from the helicopter surveillance patrolling the river. There is a worry in the canyon area of the water starting to back up in the next heavy rain fall. There is no road access at this time to the lake from the logging camp, but I am sure this will change shortly.

There is rumblings in the logging community of a possible log salvage for the logs in the lake. This will take time but maybe are only hope....

This slide did not happen due to poor logging practices. This is a freak in nature that happens from time to time "Hope Slide". The people in the community of Harrison Hot springs have this scenario etched in the back of there mind, worring about the possibility of this happening to them. There is a mountain there that is unstable that can fall into the lake at any time.

:cheers: sage

G

·
i didnt want to believe it but wow. i seen the damage from last year but this is messed up all we can hope for is that the river doesnt end up in the red hopefully our government will figure out how to clear the logs in a caustly manner

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Something similer happened in alaska but it was a huge chunk of ice that fell into the water causing a huge wave in some inlet and did way more damage! I think the wave was over 60 ft high and ripped out thousands upon thousands of trees! Not sure when it happened but it was a while back! Hope this slide doesn't effect the fish habitat on the chehalis river Theres a piece of steel in there with my name on it!:)

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF1/109.html

Thanks Murray

CK

· Registered
691 Posts
seen the news this morning and :eek: what a disaster didn't realize how much came down until seeing the shots of the mess,its gonna take them awhile til they have all this cleaned up.

scruffy

· Premium Member
3,684 Posts
Unless this happened in the middle of the night, I can't believe no one was on the river at the time... :confused:

The amount of energy released was enough to grab hold of anyone near the river at the time

yet no reports of injeries....?

Marko

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.