BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the time change I started out early and picked up a buddy from Abby and then Dan T caught up to us at Mission. I wasn't worried about first light as it was cloudy. The area I like to fish had lots of log's and debris which make it touch fishing. We fished the tail out of the pool as the main area was loaded with wood. I managed a 9-10lb Hatchery Chrome Coho. My buddy lost a big one after a couple of jumps and Dan got one around 6-7lb's hatchery. The water was high and starting to drop. It will be good canyon fishing tomorrow for who ever can make it up. There is fishing in the system now. Did anyone try down by the bridge and how did you make out?

Cheers, Rob

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Hey marsman...great report...got any pics? Nice to hear the water is finally up in the chehalis...I'm heading up there tomorrow. I'm just wondering, did you happen to fish down in and among all the debris below easter seal run where it blew through? If so, how far were you able to go in there before things became frustrating as far as accessibility? Also, did you happen to fish down through all the water below the hatchery? and again, if so, how was the volume of water through there? I know they did some work rerouting the river somewhat so that at least some water was getting down there, but I'm not sure how much water is making the turn...
any info would be great,
thx,
rib

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ribwart said:
Hey marsman...great report...got any pics? Nice to hear the water is finally up in the chehalis...I'm heading up there tomorrow. I'm just wondering, did you happen to fish down in and among all the debris below easter seal run where it blew through? If so, how far were you able to go in there before things became frustrating as far as accessibility? Also, did you happen to fish down through all the water below the hatchery? and again, if so, how was the volume of water through there? I know they did some work rerouting the river somewhat so that at least some water was getting down there, but I'm not sure how much water is making the turn...
any info would be great,
thx,
rib
I didn't get a pic of mine but Dan got one with his camera. I went to take a pic and it froze. I think because it was cold the batteries were weak. I gave half to my buddy for a fresh dinner so I could take a pic of the filet I'm having for dinner. hehehe Fished in the canyon and didn't make it down below. Water at the bridge was high and "tea" color so blades worked great. I would only try below for a bit then head into the canyon. The fish will have pushed up with the water dropping so the canyon is the best bet. I almmost only fish the canyon now as it is the most productive for me. Forgot to say but Gee did it get cold around 9am. We had sleet with rain on us. Chilly.

Cheers, Rob

PS: Found a pic from last year and this is how the water looked. http://marsman.ssni.ca/view_photo.php?set_albumName=ChehalisFishing&id=tn_robs_2_cohos

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here's a photo of said fish.:

Does not look long but was fat like a football.

To me, it looked like not a lot of fish holding, but lots moving around.
I think fresh fish were moving in and through, so they should be in a number of different spots by now.

I think things should be getting good and picking up for the next month.

I have caught Coho at the end of March in this system while Steelheading, but they were nasty (still alive, though). Fish are late for sure, but should come in for some time now.

Nice to see you and hook up again there, Rob.
We will chat and head out again soon.

Dano

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice pic Dan... I'm heading back up Friday and then I think the Cap on Saturday if we get big rain. Then the Chehalis Sunday. I hope the Chehalis blows out and more move in.

Cheers, Rob

PS: Happy Holloween.............................

·
Registered
555 Posts
I fished the chehalis monday and tuesday. Water was up but very clear. No fish on monday. Tuesday I went with a friend and we fished the canyon for a few hours. My friend got one small summer run, and had 2 other unknown fish on, likely coho. I had 2 fish come right up and grab the bait right in front of me, I had one on for a sec, looked like a jack coho. There weren't many fish in the canyon, not where we were anyways, maybe they went right through to the upper end in the higher water :?: We then fished below the hatchery for a few hours. Saw some really fresh chum and then right in broad daylight a big bright beautiful coho comes swimming up the rapids right beside me :shock: My friend followed him up for aways and said he just kept moving on up river. I guess some are moving through in the day time too. Here are some pics

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Yeah...there were a few of those bright chrome coho swimming through on monday when I was there....the pools I was at had a lot of coho coming through....but it wasn't exactly hot fishing....
rib

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I will definately be heading out sunday in the early am. Planning to hit the canyon at first light then head down below the hatchery for the afternoon!

G

·
Is anyone willing to chare some info on the chehalis and how to get there. i finally get a day off of school and work on the moday following remembrance day and i am trying to find a good spot to get out for coho.
thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
To get to the Chehalis follow Lougheed Hwy (#7) east past mission, past deroche untill you get to the sasquach inn. It is before the harrison river bridge. Drive straight through the 4 way stop and keep going until you get to the main flow of the chehalis. You can park right before the bridge and venture into the canyon (but don't go in there by yourself, lots of bears, cougars and very dangerous terrain) or you can walk downstream to what is know as Easter seal run.

When you start feeling adventerous you can try new spots in the canyon by taking a left at the 4-way stop and trying different roads on your right that will access the river.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just got back from the Chehalis... It is blown out.. It was up 2.5-3 feet and 1.5' Visibility in the canyon where I fish. Didn't touch a thing. With the forcast of all this rain it will be tough fishing for a few days. Might try Sunday but all depends on what I hear tomorrow night. I have some picks and will add later.

Cheers, Rob

·
Registered
555 Posts
Well I fished the chehalis in the canyon this morning. We passed 2 guys coming out that said don't bother it's blown. I knew a good spot to fish when the river is blowing, so we kept going 8) . Wow was the river ever high :!: I managed one wild one to shore, and I lost another, and my friend lost one after a short battle.

Here's mine caught on a big silver colorado

1 - 20 of 24 Posts