BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the chehalis just to check out my sisters new place pretty close to the river and decided to show my girlfriend the hatchery. Well sure enough after we left to go check out the channel there were two guys there snagging ugly old coho and bonking them. I told them to both go and [email protected] themselves and we left. Pretty bunk to see that right now.

· Premium Member
3,684 Posts
.......Well with new hook regs set to be in place for next season this may verywell be a thing of the past.
The more I think about it the more I like the Idea of circle hooks. The possability of foul hooking
would be greatly diminished with next to no chance of hooking anything but a lip or fin...

:beerchug: Marko

· Banned
2,854 Posts
that could be true Marko however I would bet that alot of the blatant snaggers would just use the normal hooks to snag their fish anyway. Why should they fish by the book if they wont now?

· Registered
97 Posts
HOOK said:
that could be true Marko however I would bet that alot of the blatant snaggers would just use the normal hooks to snag their fish anyway. Why should they fish by the book if they wont now?
Its unfortunate but i have to agree, there will allways be individuals who feel they are above the law,DFO can put in place as many new regulations as they want but without proper enforcement they mean nothing to these types of people.

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
With the chnge in direction of the lower river, and the extended length of the hatchery outflow channel, I hope that new regs are put in place to discourage "anglers" from lining that channel and plucking fish out of what should be a "home free" zone...

Unfortunately, as searun17 stated, without enforcement, not many fishermen will be too worried about getting caught breaking the rules or fishing unethically. I remember back in the day, dfo used to have roadblocks set up on several rivers during prime time salmon season. I thought this was a great idea, and it seemed to work quite well.

For example, I distinctly remember a couple years there that there would be a roadblock just up from vedder crossing. Each vehicle coming down from the upper river would get checked, and every angler that drove up river saw what they would have to deal with when they were done for the day...They used to do one at the 4 way stop on the chehalis as well...

I wish the dfo would bring back such tactics. In my opinion, the roadblocks were great! Highly visible, and a great deterrent for those who would otherwise claim ignorance if confronted by one of us...

:2cents:

· Registered
1 Posts
:naughty:

Well it doesn't surprise me, I've been fishing for years and the quality of people who fish has detoriated dramaticaly.

These guys that call themselves anglers are a disgrace to the sport. There is not enough enforcement on our local rivers to enforce the law, which is a shame. If and when they do get caught they should have to forfeit their license for 5yrs and lose there gear which should be auctioned off and the proceeds could go in to salmon enhancement.

My son is 14yrs old and loves to fish. I've been grooming him to be a ethical fisherman. Not a greedy meat snagger.

Lets start spanking these people. Lets see more road blocks and more enforcement, its time our governments take a serious look at the whole picture with our salmon in this province.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
well Rib I know they still do this on the Vedder because we got stopped twice last year and once the year before by the "fish roadblock" /it was an awesome thing to see and every time was on a saturday ;D

· Registered
65 Posts
I remember getting checked all the time by game warden, , especially on the cap and seymour where i grew up fishing. He even used to hide in the bushes to see catch anyone doing illegal acts.
But in the last 20 years i can't remember getting checked once on still waters or rivers. And i fish alot.

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
Eric said:
I remember getting checked all the time by game warden, , especially on the cap and seymour where i grew up fishing. He even used to hide in the bushes to see catch anyone doing illegal acts.
But in the last 20 years i can't remember getting checked once on still waters or rivers. And i fish alot.
Same here Eric...I once watched an officer hiding behind a tree watching a couple guys fishing the pool just above the boundary on the cap. He watched before he busted them to see if they were snagging or not as well...Sure enough he went and busted them for both fishing in a closed area, and for snagging fish/barbed hooks as well...

Having an enforcement presence on our rivers is in my opinion one of the best deterrents of illegal and unethical angling techniques...

Like you, I haven't run into an officer now in a very, very long time...

· Registered
413 Posts
They were out there yesterday actually first time i've been checked in well over 5 yrs. And I wasn't even fishing. Just got out of the truck pulled out my rod and they pulled over and checked us. Glad to see it. Let's hope they are out in full force this upcoming season.

· Registered
7 Posts
It seems to me that certain flows are monitored significantly more than others. Does anyone know why this is? For example, over the past few years, I haven't been checked once on the Vedder or Chehalis. However, I was checked twice in two trips up the Squamish last year, and both times a fair ways up the logging road. One time while fishing Ashlu, the CO, who was in a helicopter counting grizzleys, actually landed on the bar we were fishing on just to check us. It was great to see!

· Registered
3,796 Posts
HOOK said:
I think what DFO needs to do is implement some volunteers. I would bet alot of us fisherman would be willing to volunteer to hand out tickets :thumbup:
I imagine that if volunteers were to be used, they would be a lot like the RCMP Auxillary. They don't work alone, but with a regular officer. There is no way I'd be handing out tickets to a bunch of snaggers on the Fraser. I can take care of myself, but there is a reason CO's carry sidearms. More beneficail action would be to write your MLA and/or MP and demand more funding for game patrols. Addresses are in the sticky in this forum.

· Registered
170 Posts
It`s been years since I have even seen a fisheries officer on the fraser or Veddar. I started fishing the Veddar and Squamish in the early 70s, back then I use to see the fisheries officer at least every other weekend.This was back well before the hatcheries and the crowds. Everybody knew the officer by name and the officer knew all the regulars.

It`s very rare that I can spend the day fishing now and not see someone breaking the law. I can imagine how many fish would be saved if we had more regular patrols.

· Registered
909 Posts
SK coulnd'nt agree with you more on the fact the old days when the COs were known by name. 1981 two young lads down at the river throwing rocks at the fish trying to konk on to take home, when out of the blue they are whisked up by the local CO, I think his name was Carl, and given a free ride home. After the discussion of why what they were doing was wrong they were taken in by there mothers, after a evening call on the phone and dad asking why would Carl call him, the half assed excuse and reasoning didn't lessen the spanking they would receive for that one. :'( Back in the Day CO's were feared , if you were caught doing something wrong and you were under age, it was usually a ride home and a talk to dad, if over age your gear would get confiscated and it was always rumored they would take your car, and every thing you owned. So there was always a fear factor to think about if you were thinking of doing something stupid, that seems to be gone these days
Cheers,
Crazy D

· Registered
65 Posts
fisherama said:
It seems to me that certain flows are monitored significantly more than others. Does anyone know why this is? For example, over the past few years, I haven't been checked once on the Vedder or Chehalis. However, I was checked twice in two trips up the Squamish last year, and both times a fair ways up the logging road. One time while fishing Ashlu, the CO, who was in a helicopter counting grizzleys, actually landed on the bar we were fishing on just to check us. It was great to see!
i don't know if i am wrong but places like squamish is more sensitive to poaching then a hatchery rivers like the vedder and the chehalis and are check up more closely. it seems to me they don't care as much on a put and take hatchery systems.

· Registered
917 Posts
marko said:
.......Well with new hook regs set to be in place for next season this may verywell be a thing of the past.
The more I think about it the more I like the Idea of circle hooks. The possability of foul hooking
would be greatly diminished with next to no chance of hooking anything but a lip or fin...

:beerchug: Marko
What are these new regs? Is there a website address for one to check them out? Thanks. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.