BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are headed to the Chehalis camping this weekend at the forestry site by the bridge. I've ever only fished close to the campground with my kids for little trouts but no kids this weekend... looking for info on what's running up there now and some tips on where I could head to?? PM's would be greatly appreciated and will be returned with a DETAILED report - a more general report will be posted publicly next week! Thanks!!

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Interesting Thread...just a note bro,some people on this forum get upset when this river is mentioned.Should be some coho starting to move in there now.::)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Dennis - don't mean to upset anyone! it's one of the places we camp a lot so figured since we're going anyway.....

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Dennis........what the heck are you talking about?........Chehalis River?.....This is a river that is just as pressured as the Chilli.and just as well known...maybe you are thinking of the Coq.?....The one thing that needs to be known is the campsites on the chehalis are prone to auto break-ins and the coho should arrive any day...............Ortho

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Could not agree with you more Fishortho.

Hey Scouter James, people might be more willing to share information if they see you explore the area a bit on your trip and then make a post. The Chehalis is no secret and there's lots of general info on this forum and the Internet but where the coho are pooling up right might be hard to get from someone. Water levels are key. Why not head up the trail on the North side of the river and Carefully hike down into some pools. Not sure what the river looks like downriver of the highway bridge these days. Heard there was a new trail put on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Dennis........what the heck are you talking about?........Chehalis River?.....This is a river that is just as pressured as the Chilli.and just as well known...maybe you are thinking of the Coq.?....The one thing that needs to be known is the campsites on the chehalis are prone to auto break-ins and the coho should arrive any day...............Ortho
Maybe things have changed but in the past when ive talked about the chey,ive recieved pms from certain members voicing thier displeasure.Of course its no secret,never implyed that it was.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
it was going a couple days ago...now it is down again. I saw some "neato" things on it ;)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
it was going a couple days ago...now it is down again. I saw some "neato" things on it ;)
You seen all those cutties too ehhhhhhhhh....

Ortho the river is known about widely however very few actually know the river well, and even fewer have put in the time and extravagant efforts to explore it into great details... I myself am one who gets a bit moody when it gets talked about openly to great extent on a forum where people who like to sit and home and get "free" info and then run out to a river. Theres VERY limited access to water and it doesnt take much to fill the river with anglers. One thing to keep in mind if in the canyon other than safety while hiking is "canyon etiquette". If you plan on fishing a spot however once you arrive there someone has beat you to the spot, be courteous and let that angler have that area without hiking in. Its a common practice that is exercised there and its a real kick in the pants when youre enjoying your day and have 1, 2, or 3 guys hike in and decide to join you for the day :mad:

Scouter how long are you camping for? Just this weekend?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
You seen all those cutties too ehhhhhhhhh....

Ortho the river is known about widely however very few actually know the river well, and even fewer have put in the time and extravagant efforts to explore it into great details... I myself am one who gets a bit moody when it gets talked about openly to great extent on a forum where people who like to sit and home and get "free" info and then run out to a river. Theres VERY limited access to water and it doesnt take much to fill the river with anglers. One thing to keep in mind if in the canyon other than safety while hiking is "canyon etiquette". If you plan on fishing a spot however once you arrive there someone has beat you to the spot, be courteous and let that angler have that area without hiking in. Its a common practice that is exercised there and its a real kick in the pants when youre enjoying your day and have 1, 2, or 3 guys hike in and decide to join you for the day :mad:

Scouter how long are you camping for? Just this weekend?

Shane i will be looking for your truck, and i will be sure to join you, if only i could find you after finding your truck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
.......One thing to keep in mind if in the canyon other than safety while hiking is "canyon etiquette". ......
Canyon Etiquette??? :) lol wow, you have too much faith in humanity my friend :) Of course I agree wholeheartedly but I no longer hold my breath for such things as common sense, let alone common courtesy on the flow. Still, I suppose it does not hurt to try and educate, you never know, someone might surprise you and take it to heart!

RR

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Shane i will be looking for your truck, and i will be sure to join you, if only i could find you after finding your truck.
lol Im never near my truck and sometimes its parked in the strangest places :hmmm:

I tried calling you but you didnt answer, Ill be out your way for the weekend Ill try calling you while Im on my way before I lose reception we should meet up for a couple hours.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
lol Im never near my truck and sometimes its parked in the strangest places :hmmm:

I tried calling you but you didnt answer, Ill be out your way for the weekend Ill try calling you while Im on my way before I lose reception we should meet up for a couple hours.
Ya give me a ring. I will have hockey and soccer on sat and sunday but should be able to sneak out for a couple hours.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ya, I wish no one knew about the Cap. That is my local river. It is almost as hard to hike into her as the Chehalias canyons. I get pretty grumpy with all the reports about the Cap. So lets take some pressure off of her-the Chahalis is a great place to fish...but to my knowledge it is usually good later...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hey Guy's, I fish the canyon a lot and have no problem some one hiking in. I like to meet people and chat. I use to have the bad attitude of this is my stretch of the river but that has changed. I do not care if some one walks in a catches a fish beside me. If I'm in the canyon (and could be by myself) I hope some one comes in just to check on me. I walk in just to make sure that the ever one is ok. Just think.... The day that a freak accident happens and you are laying in a hole..... Think of why you would say something so stupid that I'm hear first and you should not come in... Makes no sense. I've fell into a tree hole skiing and thank god people came through the trees that could help out.
Rob

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Marsman, you're a breath of fresh air! Excellent attitude! Good Karma will come your way my friend.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Hey Guy's, I fish the canyon a lot and have no problem some one hiking in. I like to meet people and chat. I use to have the bad attitude of this is my stretch of the river but that has changed. I do not care if some one walks in a catches a fish beside me. If I'm in the canyon (and could be by myself) I hope some one comes in just to check on me. I walk in just to make sure that the ever one is ok. Just think.... The day that a freak accident happens and you are laying in a hole..... Think of why you would say something so stupid that I'm hear first and you should not come in... Makes no sense. I've fell into a tree hole skiing and thank god people came through the trees that could help out.
Rob
Yes but most sensible people will bring a friend into the places that Shane is referring to, so the need to check up on everyone elses well being might not be needed as much as most people would think.I also know that when people that i know fish this system they let others know where they are goig in case something where to happen to them. Lets try to remember that most of these locations only allow for a couple of fisherman to comfortably fish them and it does no good to follow parked vehicles around as you will find yourself fishing less because there simply is not enough room for you when you get down to fish. I,m all for chatting with people aswell, but when you make the attempt to avoid people in such places it usually means I did not feel like chatting that day.;)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to all for the tips - was a beautiful weekend overall - great weather, bumped into a few nice fishermen (quite a few people out there!) and a couple hookups to top it off! Nothing trophy-like but even without seeing fish it would have been a great vacation from the city life!

On a safety note, that is one heck of a work out on a few streches of that river!! I witnessed one fellow fisherman that was way out of shape, judging by the red face and panting at least, whom decided to make what I would consider a risky crossing at best and one I wouldn't have tried by myself.... long story short, after a tough hike, he ended up with a swim to cool off - one that could have been avoided perhaps by pausing to catch his breath before attempting... I was too far upstream to help and to his luck there was one someone downstream on the right side of the river to fish him out just before he started rock bouncing! Really, at some point we have to keep our personal limits in mind - lots of the guys on this site would have made that crossing without a pause in the conversation - me personally, I would have chosen an easier spot.... this guy made the wrong choice for him. Thought I'd mention it as watching him gave me pause for thought!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts