BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When did they stop allowing fishermen to drive into the campground to park and fish the Easter seal area?
We went up to check out the Chehalis today and seeing an excavator down below the bridge we wanted to check out the ES run. We drove into the campground and after waiting for someone on the road to be jump started, an older fellow( possibly the camp host) asked where we were going and then said that parking for fishing was not allowed in the campground. We didn't have time to hike down from the bridge and hate leaving the vehicle along the main road anyway, so we stopped in at the hatchery for a look and went home. We hadn't been at the hatchery for a year or 2. Wow, the only water below the hatchery is what comes out of the hatchery channel. There were pinks around but how will they get brood fish if very few fish reach the hatchery?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,168 Posts
Farmer said:
When did they stop allowing fishermen to drive into the campground to park and fish the Easter seal area?
We went up to check out the Chehalis today and seeing an excavator down below the bridge we wanted to check out the ES run. We drove into the campground and after waiting for someone on the road to be jump started, an older fellow( possibly the camp host) asked where we were going and then said that parking for fishing was not allowed in the campground. We didn't have time to hike down from the bridge and hate leaving the vehicle along the main road anyway, so we stopped in at the hatchery for a look and went home. We hadn't been at the hatchery for a year or 2. Wow, the only water below the hatchery is what comes out of the hatchery channel. There were pinks around but how will they get brood fish if very few fish reach the hatchery?
The hatchery will net that river just up from the mouth. The launch their boats at kilby and make their way up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Hey Farmer

It has been a couple of years since you were allowed to park in there. When they privatized the campground they stopped letting you in. You can go in but the guy charges $10.00 to park for the day. I have also seen him have vehicles towed as soon as people walked away from their cars.He likes to use the excuse that you are taking up a camp spot even though the place is totally empty this time of year.

Centerpin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Centerpin said:
Hey Farmer

It has been a couple of years since you were allowed to park in there. When they privatized the campground they stopped letting you in. You can go in but the guy charges $10.00 to park for the day. I have also seen him have vehicles towed as soon as people walked away from their cars.He likes to use the excuse that you are taking up a camp spot even though the place is totally empty this time of year.

Centerpin
my kids and i were up there to camp two summers ago and that guy was such a grumpy-ass dickweed, we just left.

Dinsdale
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,379 Posts
The grumpy old site hosts have moved on from chehalis I believe, there was a new nicer guy running the show last time I was there (January 07).

The Easter Seal run has shallowed and widened up alot and is far from it's past glory. The Chehalis is definetly an adventurers river now. Good for young guys with strong legs and big trucks. Tough acess for older folks or families.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
99 Posts
The campground is a BC Forest Recreation Site, therefore you pay the daily fee regardless if your camping or just parking. The guy is just doing his job. Modern Tire in Agassiz is going to have to hire a fleet of wreckers to tow out the people that don't pay to park. :thumbup: :happy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,379 Posts
Actually alot of BCFS rec sites have free day use parking :-\, I am not sure where you get your info from. When was the last time you launcehed your pontoon boat at a rec site up country and had to pay a day use fee? Never. This is just a cash grab.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
917 Posts
A couple of years ago, I placed some garbage (cookie wrappers) into one of the receptacles and the old guy yelled at me - asking if I paid for that! The campground was empty, and the receptacle was also empty. I basically ignored him - but I certainly wasn't impressed. :-\
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,812 Posts
fish guardian said:
The campground is a BC Forest Recreation Site, therefore you pay the daily fee regardless if your camping or just parking. The guy is just doing his job. Modern Tire in Agassiz is going to have to hire a fleet of wreckers to tow out the people that don't pay to park. :thumbup: :happy:
According to the Ministry of Tourism, Sport and the Arts document "Listing of Recreation Sites Sept. 4, 2007" (http://www.tsa.gov.bc.ca/sites_trails/finding/list_of_recreation_sites.htm) managed sites with fees are operated in agreement with the Ministry.
"Unless otherwise identified, the camping fee is $10 per night for a person, family, or party of six. (Italics mine). Nowhere in the document could I find a single site that charges for parking. The document also shows the Chehalis FRS site closed indefinitely due to flooding. I suggest that if someone is charging you for parking, you contact the police and the ministry as it would appear there may be a fraud perpetrated here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,379 Posts
Hey fish guardian,

I do not think people who want to park and fish for a day should be considered free loaders it would be nice if there was some safe parking in that area.

The Yukon was good, the job wasn't great (6 days a week 14hrs a day) but you owe it to yourself to go up there at least once: the grayling and norther pike on the fly were incredible so was the wilderness.

It is cool that you know me! Send me a PM and introduce yourself (my guess would be we went to BCIT together) and if you want to know more about my expiriences in the YK I would be glad to share.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top