BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
1,030 Posts
Ya there are a lot of blackies in there.....I've come across 20 so far this year in there....hiking around in the bush by yourself is dangerous! if you don't have a partner, and very little experience on the CHEHALIS DO NOT ATTEMPT LONG HIKES! Stick to well crowded areas! Fishing is spotty first light seems to be the ticket as the Snag Pros show up at 8:00 and spook all the fish in every productive hole :'(

· Registered
40 Posts
Anything to spook an angler away.

Think about how many reports you hear on the various rivers, fishing or whatever.

Think about how many people would post a report about a guy being "attacked" by a bear on such a system. It would be mega.

I have encountered a couple in my time, most of them looking for an easy meal. Trust me, we are not it!!!

Be Bear aware and make a lot of noise. You will be fine. If really worried, show up a bit later than the early birds and they will have spooked them all away,

Dano

· Banned
2,854 Posts
well i know i have gotten clean coho in this river in February before but that might have just been a couple great run years back to back :eek: it was awesome limiting out every outing. was hitting so many some days it was retarded like every second cast :eek: :happy: since the river blew through the trees the fishing has been alot crappier, I have been told the fish just rip all the way to the canyon areas now instead of trying to get to the hatchery.

· Premium Member
3,684 Posts
That could be true. the blowdown and logjams provide excellent cover for safe passage but this
certainly doesn't help the hatchery much which raises the question once again,what was the
outcome of the diversion project or was this simply out of reach funding wise...?

:beerchug: Marko

· Registered
883 Posts
marko said:
That could be true. the blowdown and logjams provide excellent cover for safe passage but this
certainly doesn't help the hatchery much which raises the question once again,what was the
outcome of the diversion project or was this simply out of reach funding wise...?

The hatchery does not seem to mind. Getting the brood stock is not a problem. If there is a problem they will net the brood in the Harrison. The only problem is the money from the Gov to feed the smolts. Less and less each year. We talked about this last year. Like an old broken record....

Personally I like how the river is now down below...FISH HABBITAT... :cheers: Sage

· Registered
1,030 Posts
marko said:

They don't neccessarily need to get water to the hatchery, if I recall correctly I made a big thread about it at the beginning of the year, I have now learned that they do not need water to go by the hatchery to get broodstock in! they have several jet boats with big nets that they use to collect broodstock, they just simply go the the mouth of the halis and throw their nets out and collect broodstock fish! easy as that, and cost efficient as they would need 10,000+ easy to divert the river properly! The river actually is nice the way it is now...hate to say it...but it its....sure fishing isn't as good, or is it? the fish simply hold in areas in low water and shoot through in high water up into the canyon...sure its not a river for everyone to fish now...but if you find the spots you'll hook fish, believe me you will :happy:

Mike <"))))><

· Registered
781 Posts
Several weeks back I was lucky enough to get a tour of the hatchery and talk to one of the senior workers. They don't have a problem getting enough coho and the flow they have going is sufficient enough to get the numbers they need. It was interesting to talk to them about funding and how the funding gets utilized. Really nice people there and they are doing a great job.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
was there today water low and super clear. Lots of coho around but getting them to bite seems to be the trick LOL managed to hook one really ugly little one though and some chum did more walking than fishing though walked all the way ffrom hatchery to mouth. fricking long walk will never do it again :-\ go to main river and walk down you will find lots of coho coloured and clean but like i said have fun trying to get bites we tried everything but only got the little one. Chum like roe alot i found out today, went to very small peice of woll they didnt touch it after that ;D

· Banned
67 Posts
was on the the chehalis on saturday the 24th fished all through the jungle hooked three, landed one on large gold blades. saw lots in various slack pocket water. fresh bear tracks everywhere. the pool where the hatchery channel meets the main stem had tons of coho at the back end but some guy was teaching his son how to snag them bbing with roe there and spooking everything. I felt sorry for the guy on the other side trying to finesse fish with a bubble float. At least, in his head the chum where hitting his roe and he thought was doing it legit, not blatant snagging.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.