BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit the flow yesterday being the 22nd and i managed to hit 2 fish in the upper, first one a wild 8lbs doe, then 5 cast later a 14lbs wild doe and that was the day @ 11:30 the water was well coloured.

So i hit the same water today and it wasn't until 8:45 when i hit a wild 5lbs buck, then in the same run 30min later the float was there and then it was gone resulting in this picture to follow. Thanks to Tuna man for snapping a picture before the release in to the wild.

P.S BMG get your roe bags tyed and get ready for a killer trip!!

Steelie

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Steelie 99....well done as usual. You certainly seem to have the gift in the bringing fish to hand
department. Just a suggestion in the future, and I'm sure others would love to hear,a little
about your tactics and neuances to which you're accredited for. There is a purpose for everthing
and with the voice of reason, maybe we could shead some light on this otherwise mythical
fishery.... just a thought. Once again kudos, you're doing somthing right... :D
Your newest # 1 fan...Cheers...Marko... ;D

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Most times what you are using is not always the answer. You have to remember steelhead are very stupid and will take almost anything if presented properly. The key is to find them, steelie 99 seems to have this all figured out as do many other anglers in this forum! :) When you are out on the water standing in lie all day is not going to get you into many fish. The key is to fish lots of different water; current seams, tailouts, pockets, behind boulders , stumps, trees, if you do this all the time you will find fish. Of course having good bait or the right fly :) will increase your odds.

One more thing, It is very important to not drag the bottom, short float! You should be off the bottom 10-20 inches and never use more than 10-16 inches of leader! If you use these techniques you will find more steelhead! Im sure steelie 99 can elaborate more on this ;D

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Please do Steelie 99. I certainly do alright but it is a little more interesting to hear the ins and outs
rather than the end resault. Don't get me wrong thou the end reault can be absolutly spectacular
but there is soooo much more leading up to the finnal act.... :D ;D...MARKO

·
Registered
47 Posts
That's a sweet looking fish.....as for me..still a steelie virgin!!!! my goal is at least 1 this year!!!Only been out once in the vedder last year.. and 1 time in the chehalis this year and the Stave twice!! so i guess 0-4!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bergler said:
Most times what you are using is not always the answer. You have to remember steelhead are very stupid and will take almost anything if presented properly. The key is to find them, steelie 99 seems to have this all figured out as do many other anglers in this forum! :) When you are out on the water standing in lie all day is not going to get you into many fish. The key is to fish lots of different water; current seams, tailouts, pockets, behind boulders , stumps, trees, if you do this all the time you will find fish. Of course having good bait or the right fly :) will increase your odds.

One more thing, It is very important to not drag the bottom, short float! You should be off the bottom 10-20 inches and never use more than 10-16 inches of leader! If you use these techniques you will find more steelhead! Im sure steelie 99 can elaborate more on this ;D
That's the words that would of came from my mouth. Well I must say and those who have fished with me in the past know, I somehow have been blessed with eye's of an eagle that can see right through the water :eek: . I have walked the entire new river since the blowout with my hand held GPS while the river was low and clear and i marked every hole, large boulder and undercut bank, tailouts and prime pea gravel bars. With the water changing colour all the time i have a variety of different colour roe bags and single eggs ect... I have some of what IMO are the best batch of red spring single eggs ever because of there size and the colour i was able to make them.
It's very important to keep your drift as much natural as possible. Keep you rod tip up and level to have you line out of the water all the way to the float, use enough lead and positioned on the line to have your presentation in birds eye view. The steelhead in the Chilliwack river system are instinctivly vicious feeders. If you give them something good to eat hold on to your rod tight!! And like bergler's said "SHORT FLOAT".
Short floating is the key because" Steelhead don't bottom feed" they feed looking up!!

Steelie

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Thanks for the feedback 99,sometimes the slightest detail can upset the whole chain of activity.
We must pay attention to details and be consistant so when we do pass by our target ,the odds
will be far more in our favour. ...Marko.... ;D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a Magellan sporttrak map. It costs @ $300 a little pricy but worth it!! i have almost every river in the lower mainland mapped out!! The best time to do the mapping is in the middle of summer when you can walk or swim the river you want to track.

Steelie

·
Registered
176 Posts
Dang Steelie99.... Don't you ever work??? ;D Just kidding. I'm just jealous!!!!
Nice job!!!! I Guess the 24" leader I typically run has been causing me to miss fish. I always "ASSumed" that they would see my weight bearing down on them with such short leaders. Thanks for the tip.
But alas... I'll just have to fish vicariously through you. ;D

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hog thinks he needs to bird dog Steelie99 with a pen and pad and take some notes. ;D
Not "where" he practices his skill, but more like "how" he presents his offering.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.