BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody.
It's almost time for me to head out and fish chinook in a couple of Island rivers. I almost always fish with big densly tied clousers in pink, green and brown. I'd like to hear what flies other people rely on.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
try rolled muddlers in beige, also try flashy red flies as chinook really like red. there are also popsicle patterns tied in pink/purple/orange or red/white or green/white they work well also

i believe there is another topic on this exact same thing with tons of info, pretty sure its in the fly fishing section

HOOK

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've caught some pretty large chinook on the single-hand 8wt in smaller, slower rivers. But I've usually preffered the 10wt spey rod for bigger water and if I expect larger fish.
Thanks for the tip on the other thread, I will look for it right now.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I fish a lot of bunny flies in the winter. I like it because it sticks in their teeth --like lots of wool for the same reason. It sounds like those sort of flies will work for me too.
Do people find these fish fussy? I don't really think they are. It helps to change colous frequently, but I find they react to any colour for a while and then stop responding, it doesn't matter what the colour is. Size is what seems to count, and this goes for drift gear as well as flies.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
i find they arent finicky either however if you have alot of guys fishing around you sometimes you can outfish them easily by having a wool colour or fly they dont ;) as the fish will ignore theirs after awhile of seeing it to much and you will be left the only one getting constant hookups

G

·
I got one today on a oversized pink christmas tree, but make sure you use big enough tippet LOL or you will lose it like I did ::)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hook, do you find that certain places produce better then others?
We were on the T. last weekend and I gave up on trout as I was determined to see if I could hook a big boy on the spey...I threw everything I had and nothing worked..I know it's more hit then miss and also was told later that that far up it's near impossible...was still the most fun I had all trip but was sure frustrating seeing them splash all around you and not get anything..

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
well to be honest springs can be very tough to get fly fishing and this being my first year with my spey im hoping its easier with it to keep my fly down to them as with a single hander it can get difficult in those deep pools they like so very much

i do find when they start to stack up you want smaller patterns even trying GLOW BUGs which immitate eggs or you can buy or tie some of those rubber egg patterns which are really cool ;D

i havent tried the old "couple split shots" on my leader however i bet i could cast it that way with a spey no problem. tried it once on my 8wt and hit myself in the back a couple times and said forget this sh** that hurts

tight lines

HOOK

I would bet the egg pattern flies would work better for them in the T as i have been told that roe is most effective up there

·
Registered
578 Posts
I whites regularly. Here's the keys: Get your fly down to where they are holding. Be persistant, I have found they don't bite aggresively. Stick to dark patterns, black is best. I have found flash skooks them.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My personal favorite ,Hands down
Dark colored egg sucking leeches fished low and slow.anything in black, purple, maroon, and blue
with big bead heads. otherwise if the fish are active a chartruese and black clouser , about two and a half inches long fished with a good fast strip.

Oliver

·
Registered
151 Posts
I found out something awesome today while tying some big GPs for the Fraser...

instead of palmered hackle and seal for the body, wrap cross cut rabbit strip instead... follow all the remaining steps...

The thing swims in the water like a hot damn! No Springs for me, but I am sold on that method when you need them big and aggressive... This was done in a 1/0.

Get out there, record numbers of springs coming up right now... Best chance to get them on the fly... And get in some spey casting practice.

Cheers,
Nicole

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll say it again, I love bunny. I've tied up a bunch of 1/0 balck-and-reds, black-and-greens, and purple-and-pinks. Now I'm onto size 1 electric blue buggers. Hope I'm on the right track here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.