BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Banned
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lets see some of your chronie ties :thumbup: I will put up some of mine when i can figure out how to take pics so that you can see them good enough (harder than it looks) i have only just started tying these and am getting better with each one ;D ;D already caught fish locally on some of them :thumbup:

· Banned
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well Prof i wish i had a printer because that took me awhile but i finally figured out to take the pics

here are a few i tied up for my little local lake (green timbers) size 12 hook, black acetate floss, red micro wire rib, small lead beadhead.

I have tied other ones but they are in the fly box out in the truck LOL might take a quick snap of them tomorrow or sunday.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes they are an ice cream cone just a different colour combo. not my own pattern one i bought and it works so im copying :thumbup: normal ice cream cone is black with silver rib :peace: but there are tons of variations. i like tying these cause you have to be fairly detailed or fish wont bite them ;D my first one i did wasnt great and the fish wouldnt touch it so i ripped it apart and retied it :thumbup: i love the fact you can re-use hooks and beads :thumbup:

· Registered
1,484 Posts
I've also done something similar, that's why I asked. I've wrapped it all red but used silver wire and a black bead. First cast, first fish, LOL. Unfortunately that was the only fish I've caught on it :(

· Registered
3,378 Posts
I know who I will make sure is camping close by at Roche Lk. in June ;).....Those are really cool, guys....but, I have a stupid question. Does it matter whether the eye of the hook points "up" or "down", and do you tie on with a duncan loop or something similar, so it "floats" on the line??.....Havn't caught a trout on a chironomid. Well, truth is I havn't really targeted fish with this method.............YET ;)......Ortho 8)

· Registered
3,796 Posts
It doesn't really matter which way the eye points. When actually fishing the chironomid, the eye points almost straight up. I usually just tie a clinch knot and let 'er dangle under a split shot or a swivel.

· Registered
1,484 Posts
Like Prof said, the hook should be vertical when fishing a chironomid to simulate their rise from the bottom of the lake to the surface. I fish mine with a perfection loop, under a non-lead bb sized split shot. Don't forget your retrieve should be dead slow.

Did I just hijack? Hope not :(

· Registered
3,378 Posts
OK so now I gotta make room for Aaron as well??.......You goin' to Roche? Better put in the reservation now...Ah heck, bring the bride and your beautiful new baby....The weekend will be a blast!!.....Nice ties, buddy!!......Ortho 8)

· Registered
5 Posts
Nice Patterns Flyfishin Magician. I also prefer using chironomids. I noticed that you primarily use black Bead heads. Just wondering why??
Also I see you tie on 2499BL's. I have been told they are better than 2488 which have the same 3x wide gap. Would appreciate your opinion or how you have found them to work.
Tight Liines Fly4fish

· Banned
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nice ties you guys :thumbup: :thumbup: I will post more later today sometime. so far i have tied black ice cream cones, gunmetal chromies, and a different one i dont know the name of :confused: i might have tied a couple others but dont recall LOL would have to look in the fly box.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
looks like i had more time on my hands this morning so i took pics of my other ties :thumbup: here they are:
black ice cream cones

gun metal chromies

these are the pattern i dont know the name of, same pattern 3 variations ;D

my own creations

these are the only ones i have tied so far chronomid wise :thumbup: by far mine arent as good as these other guys :beerchug:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.