BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI- DFO's note

Fraser chum escapement has been trending downward over the last 11 years. Both the 2007 & 2008 escapement was estimated at 1.0M; the escapement goal for

Fraser chum is 0.8 M. An estimate of the 2009 escapement is not yet available although early indications are that escapement to some of the largest contributors

(e.g. Harrison & Stave) are substantially below recent levels. Hatchery contribution to recent escapement is poorly understood. Production releases of fed fry have declined in the Fraser since the 1990’s (from a 20M annual average for 1991-1997 to a 5.5M average for 1998-2008; hatchery releases of fed fry of the 2006 brood totaled only 4.3M. Although parental escapement in 2006 was high, the recent downward trend in escapement, the early indications of lower than average escapement in 2009, and a decrease in hatchery production of fed-fry for this brood year, provides for an assessment of low to near target. (2009 Outlook status: 3)

Chilliwack Hatchery staff expressed concern about the 2010 return of chum salmon because of a major flood in the fall of 2006 that likely had a significant effect on this years return. In addition the three year old return in 2007 was the lowest on record also suggesting that the chum return in 2010 will be very low. Due to the above the hatchery staff requested non-retention of chum in 2010 for this year only.

The UFV SFAC, given the concern expressed by Chilliwack Hatchery staff of the anticipated low returns of chum salmon, moves that the chum fishery on the Chilliwack/Vedder River be non-retention for 2010 only.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope they put up alot of signage all up and down the river like they did with the Sockeye identification signs . I would imagine there will be alot of people still bonking them by not checking the regs every day .

·
Registered
2 Posts
In the fall of 2006 a major flood event occurred after the majority of chum had spawned in the watershed likely affecting the survival of the eggs in the gravel. This combined with the lowest three year old chum returns in 2007 has necessitated caution in managing fishing opportunities on the Chilliwack River.Therefore, the daily limit for chum on the Chilliwack River is reduced to zero (0) effective October 15 until December 31, 2010. The Chilliwack River remains open salmon fishing with the retention of up to four (4) salmon per day which may be a combination of either Chinook or hatchery marked coho. The daily limit for chinook remains at four (4) but only one over 62 cm and at four (4) for hatchery marked coho until to December 31. The Department has reviewed this action with the local Sport Fish Advisory Committee. Variation Order: 2010-428.Notes:The aggregate daily limit for all species of Pacific Salmon (other than kokanee) from tidal and non-tidal waters combined is four (4).Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal waters of British Columbia. This includes all species of fish in the Fraser River.Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the voluntary Salmon Sport Head Recovery program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped Chinook and coho salmon. Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical information for coast-wide stock assessment. Contact the Salmon Sport Head Recovery Program at (866) 483-9994 for further information.Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line at (800) 465-4336.For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at (866) 431-FISH. Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0912
Sent October 14, 2010 at 1101

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Nevermind all the Bullshite, Chum are in trouble simply because of recent years of a very poorly managed FN Chum/Roe fishery which witnesses natives slaughtering female Chum in untold numbers to supply eggs for the Japanese sushi markets. This fishery not only deciamted Chum stocks but put a major dent in Coho, Chinook and without doubt Thompson Steelhead stocks. I witnessed it from the start and amongst the people who also saw it happening new full well that this fishery would cause a collapse in salmon stocks at some point.
Be very interesting to see if and when it opens up.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is very disturbing and sad (same reports were here in relation to pinks last year) - the same old story by the people that claim supposedly close to nature life in conservation manners.

I'm wondering if what BentRod has observed could be classified as " for food or ceremonial reasons"?

What's wrong here?
Is the unleashed greed the main driving force on the river?

Where is the balanced life with harmony with the nature?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I am reading this as the hatchery staff have made a recommendation to DFO......There is no closure at present. I would be interested to know how many "sport caught chum" are actually retainned by fishers of this system....When is comes down to numbers, I would suggest they are relatively low.
If there are legitimate concerns, they SHOULD be addressed.........I think it unfair to start blaming the first nations immediately. We are all aware of how the fisheries data is so in accurate............Where the hell did 32 million sockeye come from, especially during the commissions hearings on low returns?..............Ortho

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nope, it's now officially a closure, as of yesterday.

FN0912-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Region 2 - Chilliwack River - Chum Update

·
Registered
415 Posts
I don't disagree with what Bent Rod posted because he's right but I think there are other factors at work here also...namely ocean survival. Except for this year (which can only be termed an anomaly), sockeye stocks have suffered greatly as well. Although Pink returns have been substantial in 09and 07, there is no telling how much larger they might have been though.

What I am getting to, is my belief, that both fry migrating to the ocean and maturing fish in the ocean, are dying because of lack of feed, namely plankton. Whether its the lingering effect of El Nino (which has been around since Moses was a pup so I question if its the culprit) or so called 'global warming', the warming of the oceans is causing decreased plankton and euphausid shrimp production.

This phenomenon appears to be most dramatic south of the Gulf of Alaska, down the western seaboard of the states. If you look at Sockeye production for instance in Bristol Bay, Alaska the runs are still very strong, although they have had years of poorer than expected returns (particularly in the mid 90's). Whether its true or not, this suggests to me that overall, plankton production in the more northerly reaches of the North Pacific is much better and more consistent than in the mid to southern reaches. If in fact the sockeye that returned to the Fraser this year were feeding more northerly than normal, this might be a reason for the huge return but who knows for sure.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
10-4.........If it is official, I stand corrected.......So, I can hardley wait to see how many people hit the Stave River this year.....OMG....I think I will open a fishing store nearby.....LOL.........Ortho

·
Registered
415 Posts
Its not exactly clear what DFO has in mind for the chum closure because the present notice only refers to the "Chilliwack River". All you piscatorial experts can correct me if I'm wrong but downstream of Vedder Crossing to the Hwy1 bridge is the Vedder River. The present closure certainly doesn't include the Sumas River...or at least the most important section from the Fraser to the Hwy 1 bridge. I suspect someone at DFO will wake up soon and amend the notice to include all 3 systems. But as it stands now (to me at least) you can't retain chum upstream of Vedder Crossing.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Its not exactly clear what DFO has in mind for the chum closure because the present notice only refers to the "Chilliwack River". All you piscatorial experts can correct me if I'm wrong but downstream of Vedder Crossing to the Hwy1 bridge is the Vedder River. The present closure certainly doesn't include the Sumas River...or at least the most important section from the Fraser to the Hwy 1 bridge. I suspect someone at DFO will wake up soon and amend the notice to include all 3 systems. But as it stands now (to me at least) you can't retain chum upstream of Vedder Crossing.
Incorrect. Check the regs: Sumas River and Vedder River follow the same regulations as Chilliwack River.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Incorrect. Check the regs: Sumas River and Vedder River follow the same regulations as Chilliwack River.
In the freshwater synopsis, there is reference to specific regulations for the Chilliwack/Vedder rivers with the note 'does include the Sumas River'.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Actually I give typhoon credit. I found this: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.htm

Chilliwack/Vedder River (including Sumas River)
from a line between two triangular boundary signs on either side of the Chilliwack River 100 metres from the confluence of the Chilliwack River and Slesse Creek downstream including that portion of the Sumas River from the Barrow Town Pump Station downstream to boundary signs near the confluence with the Fraser River
Oct 15 -Dec 31 No fishing for chum

Having pasted all that, I still stand by the argument that the current fisheries notice is wrong by only saying the Chilliwack River is closed. It should paraphrase the entire waterway description as written above, if all 3 rivers are to be closed. The Chilliwack River ends at Vedder Crossing. It then becomes the Vedder to just below the Hwy 1 bridge, then flows into the Sumas to the Fraser. The Chilliwack River is not the Vedder and is certainly not the Sumas. DFO acknowledges that fact as well (as seen above). DFO could have easily drafted a new definition of the 'Chilliwack River' if they wanted to by merely saying that any reference to the Chilliwack River shall be deemed to include the Chilliwack River, Vedder River and that portion of the Sumas River etc etc.

Anyways, thats what lawyers are for if someone gets pinched in the Sumas (or even Vedder), retaining dogs. Its the wording of the Variation Order though that is used to legally define the affected area, not a freshwater salmon synopsis (see link above) that is updated online. If anyone gets charged, DFO has to prove the fish were illegally caught in the area stated in the Order. Unless there is a year round regulation (such as gear restrictions, closed areas, etc.) any in season management adjustments such as bag limit changes or open/closed seasons, must be made by Variation Order.

Which opens up this can of worms. When was the last time anyone actually saw a Variation Order? I don't even believe they post them anymore because people used to tear them down as soon as they were posted. Actually at one time it used to be a requirement that the Variation Order had to be posted in the area affected but the law has probably been changed now. Afterall, I remember when I was a Fishery Officer way back when, we could spend half the morning deciding on what tree to post the notice.

I'd be interested to read what the Variation Order says because it is the legal document. The Fisheries Notice which is what we've all been reading is not a legal document. Its purpose is to advise the public of management changes, without all the 'legalise' normally associated with Variation Orders. The question is.... whether the Fisheries Notice wrongly paraphrased the wording of the Variation Order with respect to the area affected or, if the Variation Order only refers to the Chilliwack River as well.

At any rate, I put my chum jigs back in the box. Last thing I need is to get pinched by some wet behind the ears Fish Cop.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Yes I can imagine it typhoon but you know as well as me that KWB will still have those idiots flossing anything that moves. But you're right..there would just be double or triple the amount of people. Now that would be a gong show.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For every person with average intelligence and average conscience the meaning of the DFO's note must be strait forward end easy to comprehend:

- Chum fish stocks are endangered due to low return ->
Do not fish/retain chum!

It is unfortunate but it is the reality!

There are always doors in any law – the fact that Canada has the highest numbers of lawyers per capita must mean something!

Arguing about technicalities is meaningless for me – the spirit of the note must be clear to anybody – if people would decide not to obey – it is up to the authorities to enforce the regulations and nail the stone heads for poaching (of any kind).

How many times anyone has explained to the traffic cop that the inability to read the traffic sings is the reason for speeding?

I visualize the picture of poor creatures being kicked back to the water with utmost anger...

You might know that in Japan there are day- licenses only -$40. The regulations are enforced with utmost precision. The violators receive no compassion by the fellow anglers.

The video equipment used by DFO is of this sophistication that 2km distance is nothing..

The enforcement’s will matter only...

And the civility of the society.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts