BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might start a heated debate... but what the hel!

I was fishing the Vedder last week and found a fresh, but dead chum salmon in the shallows. On closer inspection, I could see a cut along the belly and I could tell it was a female.

Conclusion- someone killed it (it was one of the freshest chum i've seen!) took the eggs and threw it back.

How do you feel about this? I guess its better than killing the fish and throwing the carcas in the bin at home, because the nutrients go back into the system, but does it not seem like a waste of a fish?

Is this a common practice? Is it legal? What are your feelings on this topic?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Yes it is a common practice. :pissed:
No, it is illegal to waste the fish you catch!!!!
Those caught doing this should be fined, everything with them except their clothes (this includes their vehicle) should be seized and auctioned at a later date and they should be banned from fishing for life!!!
My :2cents: but then again we don't live in a perfect world so I guess its just a dream.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Happens all the time :pissed:
I have even seen people take LIVE female chum, cut them open, take the eggs and then release them. The bad part of this is the fish lives for a while after this as I have even caught a female spring once with its guts hanging out... :wallbash:

The other thing that pisses me off about the Vedder is the COMMON unethical practices for ALL fish, even wild coho. I have witnessed way too many times this year where people have hooked a fish and dragged it 10 feet onto the rocks to find it is a wild coho or a fish they dont desire keeping. If it a keeper another common thing is to literally "kick it back" into the water without reviving it. I have had to revive fish I have found on the fish 3 times already this year. Pisses me off and needs to stop :2cents:

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
The problam is there is no way of knowing if they included the discarded fish in their dally quota other then
the honer system . I really don't have a problam with this as the nutrients are returned to the river but
I am concerned if it is not part of ones aggregate limit.

:beerchug: Marko

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
IT IS UNLAWFUL TO....

Waste the fish you catch. If
your fish is not suitable for
eating or if possession is
illegal because of quotas,
size limits or closed seasons, return the
fish quickly and gently to the water.

Page 9 of the fishing regulations! Just cause people say "Happens all the time" does not make it acceptable!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just another reason that we need a much greater presence on the rivers by Fisheries and Conservation officers. The blatant disrespect of the land by throwing garbage everywhere to unethical fishing techniques and illegal gear makes me sick. We need a government with the balls to spend the money to enforce the rules and manage the west coast to make fishing more enjoyable for everyone.
:beerchug:

·
Registered
52 Posts
By the law, it is unlawful to waste your fish period whether you throw the dead fish in the river or in the bin, and you know what...the worse part is most who kill and waste fish just for roe are guys who also think of themselves ethical just because they catch biting fish using roe from the fish they have just wasted. Let's also not forget these fish could have spawned and generated more lifes for the future.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't think that there is much to debate here, this is wrong! THe problem is that the people who do things like this aren't reading and participating in discussions like this.

One of my regrets in my time salmon fishing is seeing guys snagging chums on Norrish Creek (where there is no chum retention) as I was walking downriver. I never said anything to them (I usually do) and when I returned upriver after fishing out of sight below I found chum carcasses in the same condition. We all have to be responsible to our fisheries and do everything that we can to deter people from these practices.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Seeing how many people have had similar experiences in this respect it makes me wonder if a bait ban should actually be put in place on our rivers. I remember first reading about this idea in a BC Outdoors article several years ago and being completely against it, but this sort of thing makes me support a bait ban.

·
Banned
935 Posts
ok i ahe a question guy my frezzer died on me when i was out of town and all my meat in it thawed out now the fish i havein there are probably bad to eat what should i do wiht it i was thinking of taken it and throwing it in the river to rot back to where it cam from any idea or shold i jsut throw it in the garbage next time it comes around

·
Registered
116 Posts
spring king said:
I think the majority of the people taking chum are more interested in the roe. I think they should ban the chum fishery for that reason

It's not just Chum. We've seen many Springs over the years on the Vedder slit open for the mighty berries. Imo this is just as bad as the snaggers.

Let's ban roe and flossing.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.