BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so as the salmon season is under way I'm thinking of getting some flies for the chum as to when they arrive...still being new to the flying thing any suggestions as to what patterns for them.

scruffy

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
I have found basically anything red or green seems to work great for Chum. wooly buggers especially, however im talking about a few of our more localized rivers. I think they like different kind of stuff in the Squamish but heard squamish poacher works great ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would not get too fancy. Some go as simple as a piece of chartreuse or green wool in the standard egg loop. One fly which really worked well last year were those Russian River flies that Crappy tire sells, in either chartreuse, or green and white.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I have some of the flies tied by the Ruddicks. I will take some pictures when I have a chance and post them. These are killer flies on the squamish as well as the stave. It is a pretty simple pattern tied with rabbit zonker.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
Flyguy- it doesnt happen to look like this but in green does it??

I tied some of these in green also and will be tossing one on sunday to springs ;D Im sure the Ruddick fly will be different but this is an extremely simple pattern.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
how do you get that marabou to flare like that? I usually just tie in clumps...that looks like it's almost wrapped?? I'm referring to the chartreuse one.

I tied up a chartreuse pattern for the stave last weekend. chartreuse marabou tail with chart crystal flash, chart chenille body and red lead eyes on a size 4 hook. I didn't get a single take until I put that on (tried egg sucking leech, pink/purple marabou and combos of each)... the next cast I landed that one in the photo posted under the stave!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
there're all sweet looking flys i'm hopeing to get a vise for xmas so i can tie some as well,in the mean time i'm gonna have to buy something close to what i see in the pics.

cheers
scruff

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
bronjuan said:
how do you get that marabou to flare like that? I usually just tie in clumps...that looks like it's almost wrapped??
I was doing the same thing when I started to tie popsicles, just using clumps and they turned out OK but not what I was looking for.

Then I went to a fly tying night and a great fly tier showed me how he tied his popsicles here is how he ties a purple/pink:

1) slide your bead up to the eye
2)Tie in a piece of hot pink UV polar chenille at the bend make 4 wraps with it up the hook and then tie it off.
3) Select a piece of purple speyabou, cut off the top half of the feather as this will work better for popsicle type flies
4) Tie the feather in by the tip right where the chenille ends and wrap it up about half way to the bead. Make sure that you pull back the marabou as you wrap it so the feathers do not get trapped as you wrap. Tie it off.
5)Select a piece of hot pink speyabou and repeat the process by tying it in just above where the purple speyabou ends.
6)Wrap the pink speyabou up the hook until you get just below the bead and then tie off whip[ finish etc.

A couple things about wrapping marabou, the "pulling back" seems to be very important to prevent clumping by trapping the feather and it takes some practice. Also each feather will want to wrap a certain way, due to the fibers natural contour. There is a way to tell if you are doing it right but it is lost on me and my poor tying skills. I just start wrapping and you can tell you are doing it wrong when the feather starts to stick out in strange directions and dosent lay down nicely.

As you can probably tell I am a newby tier, but this pattern always turns out good for me!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Here are a few of my examples of the fly I described in the last post:

purple/pink no bead

Peach/orange/pink no bead

Chartreuse/Pink silver bead head

Once you get a few colors of speyabou and UV polar chenille there are lots of color combos you can play with! Good times and great for Chum!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.