BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

So we all hear of beach pinks and beach coho, and maybe the odd beach spring...but has anyone seen beach chum? I've never heard of them being caught in the salt...what's the deal? I'd assume the beaches toward squamish would produce some...advice?

and the secondary question to that....does anyone know of good resources that chart the migratory routes of fraser-bound fish?

PM me if it's more appropriate! Thanks!

B

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
They are caught out in the chuck as you get into the fall, but I don't know about trying them from beaches or the mouths of various rivers??

Maybe dereke can comment as he fishes up towards Squamish quite a bit?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Yes they can be caught from certain beaches. I have not seen chum being caught around our local beaches but over on the island there are people who will target them and have seen them caught while targeting late season coho.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Have wondered the same as far as the Squamish is concerned and did a bunch of research. From what I understand they travel up the opposite side of the sea to sky highway For the most part which is the deeper side. Know guys of getting into them very rarely on the island from the beach but it does happen. Apparently they are extremely spooky once they school up close to thier home rivers and the beaches. You can get an idea of when the chum are starting to get close by the test set numbers in area 12 and area 13 in discovery passage. So far numbers are extremely low comparable to four years ago which is dissapointing after they seemed to rebound last year somewhat on the Squamish. Still pretty early though. Four years ago we got them really early on the squamish (3rdweek of sept.) Kind of silly but they are probably my favorite species of salmon to fly fish for really early in the run on the squamish. Can be extremely difficult to entice to bite early in the run before they show up in numbers and are bullet chrome. Also heard of guys finding schools finning further out in boats and fly casting to the this way. Would be my dream to fly fish for them ocean fresh from the beach like the pink fishery in Howe sound. The website to get test set numbers from is the British Columbia salmon commision website.

Here is the site address
http://www.psc.org/info_testfishing_summaries.htm

Derek

·
Registered
25 Posts
We normally get them with the Coho at Davis Bay beach on the Sunshine Coast but niether are in yet. Will try to drop you a PM when they arrive. May be worth the trip if the weather holds as there's also a small, localized opening for wild Coho this year from mid-September (FN0385-RECREATIONAL)

Portion of Subarea 29-1 (Chapman Creek)
-----------------------------------------
Effective 00:01 hours September 15, 2010 until 23:59 hours December 31, 2010 in that portion of Subarea 29-1 in front of Chapman Creek of Davis Bay and Trail Bay, inside a half mile ribbon boundary (1/2 mile offshore), commencing from one half mile true South of the Western boundary of Snickett Park (49° 27.625N 123° 45.903W to one half mile true South of the marker at the entrance to the Port Stalashin Marina (49° 25.875N 123° 42.824W), you may retain (2) Coho per day (hatchery marked or unmarked).

·
Registered
25 Posts
mattl can you fish the chummies from shore??
Absolutely. Last year they were taking Coho Buggers (California Neals). I guess you could target them more specifically but I've never tried despite it being a hell of a rush when you hook into one of the big ones!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts