BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This quote is from Ribwart in a closed topic.

"Here's a tip for those interested in hooking Chum regularly using sporting and effective techniques, fishing ethically and catching more than all those anglers that are constantly snagging fish...and you can take this tip to the bank because it works extremely well and you'll never go back...

Try jigs in bubble gum pink, pink and white, etc, etc, with a little bit of raw shrimp on the tip of the hook. You can short float this through anything, ie: you do not have to be near the bottom, in fact you want to be above the fish. This is the closest thing to a guarantee in fishing for freshwater salmon that you can get. Make sure you dead drift your short float and tip with shrimp and it will work. Try it."
I thought I would add a pic of the two jigs I tie for chum. One is pink over purple and the other is purple over pink. These are dynamite in the Fraser, I short float just as they are without shrimp or scent and they WORK. My favourite setup starts with a float then a short piece of pencil lead about 4-6" below the float, next is a swivel, about a 16" leader with either jig tied on and you're set. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Those do look tastey! :thumbup:

If I go drifting for chum this year i'll have to pack a variation of these with me.

:cheers:

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Very nice FF! :cheers: For those anglers reading this that have slogged away at chum with wool ties, roe, spinners, etc, etc...and find they snag fish accidentally, try using the jigs, they definitely work and once you do, you'll never go back to anything else! It will be extremely rare for you to snag another chum again, and you'll cleanly hook more chum than you ever did before.

One important note, just to bang home the point FF makes above...you do not want to be ticking the bottom, not even a little bit. Your float should be sitting nicely straight up and down in the water. Don't hold back on the float, don't swing it into a big school of colored up fish hoping to increase your chances. Just fish the jig on the shortfloat, with a tension free drift. Concentrate on moving water, deeper sections are good, but just about anywhere there are fish will work.

Here's an example for you for depth to fish: let's say the pool your are fishing is 10 ft deep, you don't need to set your depth any deeper than 4 feet or so at the most, and even if you set your float right up against your weight, a leader length of 16" would be enough to catch fish regularly. Chum are aggressive biters, they will come way up to smash your jig on a regular basis.

TRY IT. IT WORKS.

Thanks for posting this Fisherforever...

·
Registered
157 Posts
I will be trying this on the Puntledge this year, on "YoungGuns" ties that I picked up last year(very nice work I might add)...thanks for the tip....

·
Registered
48 Posts
fishingforever did Bentrods slip you a $20 for those picks! lol

No joke I love the Jig Period! Chum aside I have floated them for stealhead and chinook as well. My first fish ever was a 17 lb Dog in the Stave short floated with great results. Ribwart this link ( %$%$#%) is the best I have seen to explain and Demo the great tactic of short floating properly.
Cheers to this method!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HAHA!:D No, he didn't slip me a $20, pic was taken right beside my keyboard. He is a friend and he sells a top quality product. I luv those RVRFSHR sickle hooks, use them exclusively for my jigs, spoons and spinners.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Do you guys know anywhere I can pick up jigs like this? I don't tie. It's been a while since I've been in a shop, and even then I was never looking for jigs, do most shops stock jigs?

·
Registered
58 Posts
No problem. Any 'real' fishing store (ie not Wal-mart) will carry these jigs. Probably be around $4 each though selection can get a bit sparse when the season is in full swing...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Do you guys know anywhere I can pick up jigs like this? I don't tie. It's been a while since I've been in a shop, and even then I was never looking for jigs, do most shops stock jigs?
no afiliation with him but makes a great product also is a list of the stores he sells stock to on his site here http://www.bentrods.ca/fishing-lures.htm
u have to be careful with some of the other jig makers out there the hooks will straiten if its not tied on a good quality hook

·
Registered
157 Posts
yes, try "young gun" he tied a bunch of assorted jigs up for me last year, nice/excellent work, he'll tie on BentRod hooks if you want ...

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
yes, try "young gun" he tied a bunch of assorted jigs up for me last year, nice/excellent work, he'll tie on BentRod hooks if you want ...
Reelangler, in addition to young gun's work, many of the shops will carry Bentrods jigs, as well as other brands. Just be carefull of hook strength and quality of tie...there are a lot of cheap jigs out there, Bentrod's are quality jigs though, you won't go wrong with them.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Reelangler, in addition to young gun's work, many of the shops will carry Bentrods jigs, as well as other brands. Just be carefull of hook strength and quality of tie...there are a lot of cheap jigs out there, Bentrod's are quality jigs though, you won't go wrong with them.
Will do. Thanks :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I noticed on Bent Rods website that all the jigs have just the stock metallic heads on them. I assume you painted these yourself. Do you find they work better that way?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Don't know where you're at; but Sea run and I think Pacific Angler have painted head jigs BUT, if you wait till the fishing gets good a lot of stores may be out or low on stock when YOU go look.
Although I do tie my own (with BentRod kits) Young Gun does tie a good jig (or fly for that matter).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts