BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
209 Posts
Technically, you could land a chum on that. There's guys who go after +200lb tuna with 6lb test and land them. But...it depends on how good you are. It takes the tuna chasing guys in excess of 12 hours to land one. And it also depends on whether you're willing to bet your rod on your ego. :confused:

G

·
I wouldnt suggest you use your 6 WT on them its a little light, Not saying it cant be done cause it can, but your going to play that fish till its almost dead wich is fine if your going to keep them. I would go up to maybe a 7 but definatly a 8 or higher weight fly rod for them. If your going for the Squamish chums good luck with your 6 WT Those fish are fresh and fight much harder then a Chum in the vedder.

Up to you , if your flyrod has lifetime warranty then go ahead and try it... It will be a long fun battle thats for sure

Especially if you hook a Chum like the one on the cover of this months BC Outdoors Mag.... That Chum is BIG !!!!!

:peace:

· Banned
2,854 Posts
Wagonmaster used to use his 6wt for chum (fishing for Ho's) in both the Vedder and Chehalis even the Harrison. they are alot of fun but he could barely move his arm at the end of the day and usually taking rests after each one. and dont forget when you have tons of them around you always end up asshooking a few cause they are everywhere!!! very hard even on an 8wt

and for those Squamish chum i have heard one too many stories of people snapping 8wt's like they were 5wt's :eek: :eek: which is why i picked up a 9wt spey ;D and i myself broke an 8wt fishing in the Nicomen Slough :( :( but it was covered and it broke in my back cast !!! sure did kill my day as the coho were ONLY hitting flies that day

tight lines

HOOK

· Registered
3,796 Posts
If all you have is a 6 wt, then the answer is, yes you can play a chum on it. You have to play them quite a long time though and it really stresses them (not a good thing prior to spawning). If you have access to a 7 or 8 wt, you are better off using that. As HOOK has pointed out, the freshness of the fish is an important factor to consider. If you are hitting old boots in the Stave for example, they don't have the strength and stamina of the fresh fish of the Squamish, so are easier to handle on a lighter rod. You should be able to pick up something like a Dragonfly set (rod, reel and line) 8 wt for under $200. Might be a good investment if you really want to target chums.

· Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HOOK said:
also not to mention if you have a really nice 6wt setup you sure wont want a chum snapping it in 2 or even more pieces

HOOK
LoL youve got that right...

I saw a pretty good redington 8wt. combo when I was in Washington for under 200$, but i'm going to wait until I get my CP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.