BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
That fish and guide look suspiciously like this verified Good Hope 59 lber. Caught in July.

Maybe, maybe not, but I follow all RI reports, and nothing like that caught there this year.

Wonder if that 'news' story was...... perhaps.... ''amended'? "Enhanced"?

And I sure hope they DID release it, but there are lots of pics of this fish, so not sure.
Unless all the pics were snapped in a hurry....Maybe I'm wrong, but I found it curious.
59 er.jpg

So, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, to play the Devil's Advocate,
and for size comparison, below, I give you Exhibit A---a verified 80 lb Chinook.
YOU
decide:

80 lb King.jpg

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
The couple with the true 80 lb fish are unrelated to the others.
I just posted their pic for scale as to show just how big a real 80 lb salmon is.
The fish purported to be 80+ is not nearly that massive.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
You got way too much time on your hands Mikey... but there is no doubt in my mind it is the same salmon. I get that the weather is always like that, but the weather, the terrain in the background, the water conditions, even his clothes all look like they are taken the same day in the same location.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I DO have some time while my CAD (Computer-Aided Design, not Canadian Dollar)
programs load, and large files get processed, so yeah......

But I have a great love of the inlet, so I follow reports from lodges, and I know a bunch of guides there.

I know an Oweekeeno aboriginal gent that lives there that sends me info as well.
I get some scoop that keeps me on top of the catch up there.

And---- Sadly-- unlike the report, I believe that the 59 was NOT released, as I saw a photo of it on the dock.

But--- to their great credit, at least half of the slabs headed to spawn and caught by
Good Hope fisherman ARE measured and released.

(I believe the Queen Charlotte Lodge also hosts lots of responsible anglers,
and they too release a lot of monsters. Well done to all.)

I posted the below photo earlier somewhere. These are aboriginals and others involved in the hatchery program at the Wannock River, where these fish are headed.

Rivers Inlet seems to get great returns each year, as there are also 2 other large rivers there that support the fishery, the Chuckwalla and Kilbella, as well as a few other lesser ones.

I always limit there on large, healthy fish.
:cheers:
Harvest.jpg

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good Hope responded on the other board and verified this fish, and another 72, was caught last week.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Was it the 80+ that the article claimed?

I'm only confused, because the pic of the "80+" is the same fish they posted as 59.
Oh well....Maybe the tech guy on their site got mixed up. Who knows?
It matters little....They consistently land more huge fish than almost anywhere else.

Bottom line is that the head of the inlet, where they are located, is a veritable minefield of giant fish!
Cut plug ONLY---no downrigger or lure fishing allowed past McPhee Bay/Rutherford Pt.
This is a 70+ they boated, also a beauty.

70 # slab.jpg

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Really???? You guys think the guy looks the same?

That's like saying BMM is a spitting image of Brad Pitt. Same pants....big deal......same fish......I doubt it having read other reports about it.

Salmon don't have a lot of real defining characteristics.....sure some are slightly fatter, more blunt heads etc....but these are all fish from the same river system and their visual characteristics are going to be pretty darn similar. I am sure that if you had a couple 30lbers......and held them up side by side they are going to look pretty darn similar. A lot of those fish that are north of 50 are going to be very similar in shape/size....and the angle that they are held at, size of the fisherman/woman, lighting are going to vary the perception to a certain degree.

I have a shot of me holding a 33 up in Kyuquot that I bonked......I am 6'2" and when I look back at that fish I would put it at mid-20's but it definitely was bigger than that.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Bang on, Scotty.

I don't doubt for a second that someone DIDNT bag an 80+...They seem to each year there.
I just didn't think the pic they posted was the right one.

As for shape of the fish, on our trip, buds Andy and Jas each boated a 32 pounder.
Both right on the button, yet they are shaped very differently.
Look at the comparison:
A slab.jpg

Andy and Jas.jpg

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
As for shape of the fish, on our trip, buds Andy and Jas each boated a 32 pounder.
Both right on the button, yet they are shaped very differently.
Look at the comparison:
I can't see anything aside from dorky Tilley Hats. They look like they should be out birdwatching in pursuit of the elusive Hume's Leaf Warbler or the Black-throated Green Warbler.​

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Nope..Just eagles.

I also commented on their lids, but they just laughed and pointed to the Tyee board.

They had the touch, somehow, some way.

For the last 4 years I have brought rookie salties there, and all have joined the Tyee club.

Damn....

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't see anything aside from dorky Tilley Hats. They look like they should be out birdwatching in pursuit of the elusive Hume's Leaf Warbler or the Black-throated Green Warbler.​
Or fly fishing, lol.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
This coming from a 40 year old wearing a pink ball cap with the tag still on. Is that a gang thing? Or are you going to try to return it, next trip to Maui?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts