BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May be of interest to those who fish on the Chilliwack/Vedder RIver

I wanted to let you know that there is a proposal out (in progress) with the Ministry of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources to have a largish (25 hectares)- that's 50 football fields gravel mine in the location of Larson's Bench. I beleive that this proposal threatens the viability of the recreation fishery in the Chilliwack River.

The FVRD has opposed this, for many reasons (such as it is near Pierce Creek ponds - an important salmon spawning area). It is also in close (less than 1km) to Chipmunk Creek Caves, and the Chilliwack River. Other environmental impacts are likely (silt, run-off, 10 acres to be logged). Unfortunately, the FVRD opposition may not be enough to stop it. Residents, business's, clubs, and others who may be impacted could also have an effect on outcome.

As residents and business's , there will be siginificant impact with gravel trucks on the road if this proposal goes through - estimated 47 round trips per day Mon - Saturday.

There is a website for more info, and a link where you can sign an online petition:

www.stopthegravelpit.com

http://www.gopetition.com/online/35764.html

A petition is also at On The Way store, and Pointa Vista Cafe, both on the Chilliwack Lake Rd.

Please help raise awareness about this - especially with your friends and associates who enjoy this resource , and let how it will effect them now and in the future. The proposal is for forty years!
If you can help in anyway, it would be appreciated - let me know.

Sincerely,

Susan
www.stopthegravelpit.com

[email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts