BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a stupid question, but does your daily quota refer to the number of fish you can bring home? I mean, if I catch and release, can I fish as much as I want, or do I have to stop after, say, catching and releasing 5 trouts? Thanks. :)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Catch and release all day. Limits refer to the number of killed fish you may retain for that day. POssession limit is usually two times the daily limit and refers to the number of harvested fish you may transport to your normal place of residence.

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
This might be a stupid question, but does your daily quota refer to the number of fish you can bring home? I mean, if I catch and release, can I fish as much as I want, or do I have to stop after, say, catching and releasing 5 trouts? Thanks. :)
As much as you want to, but make sure you try different spots to avoid hooking the same fish over and over. Trout are stupid and greedy sometimes.

·
Registered
363 Posts
As much as you want to, but make sure you try different spots to avoid hooking the same fish over and over. Trout are stupid and greedy sometimes.
I've always wondered if trout were stupid enough to bite right after being caught. Or if they would be in shock and take off out of an area after being caught.

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
I've always wondered if trout were stupid enough to bite right after being caught. Or if they would be in shock and take off out of an area after being caught.
I think the older more 'educated' trout will definitely move or lay low after being released or even sore lipped but not landed.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think the older more 'educated' trout will definitely move or lay low after being released or even sore lipped but not landed.
Yeah, like the 2lb trout I caught last night in Whonnock Lake. It seems to be a smart fish considering it's been there for a while.

·
Registered
42 Posts
dont the rules state also once you have your daily limit its time to go. C/R or not. may harm and kill a fish and then your over. i think you need to leave at least 1 in water to still be legit to catch n release....not 100% but might be one t look into, if you foul one and have a limit and cant release it then your breaking laws. not intentionaly but i think they can ask you to leave

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Fish all day, release all fish and take lots of pictures........Most trout are not at their best in August. If you are planning on taking some home, you must not go over your possession limit and I strongly recommend your retained catch be killed/bled, and flash frozen as soon as possible after catching. Trout will soften quickly with the warm summer temps. Check with other fishers as to the quality before you start "bonking".You may be dissappointed with the flavour.........Ortho

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you foul hook one then you have to release it whether it lives or not.
if you know its not going to make it you are suposed to keep it and report yourself to dfo. they said take it to the closet dfo office and file the papers and they take the fish and donate to a charity food place for the needy instead of wasting it. they said you could be charged technicly, but not to likely would happen
if i find that read from dfo ill post it

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
if you know its not going to make it you are suposed to keep it and report yourself to dfo. they said take it to the closet dfo office and file the papers and they take the fish and donate to a charity food place for the needy instead of wasting it. they said you could be charged technicly, but not to likely would happen
if i find that read from dfo ill post it

From the freshwater regs: It is unlawful to: Snag (foul hook) fish (see definition, page
96). Any fish willfully or accidently snagged
must be released immediately.

It's not illegal to snag fish in tidal waters unless it is intentional...... therefore you could keep one if you accidentally snagged it in tidal waters but not otherwise.

·
Registered
42 Posts
well a belly up snagged fish shouldnt to be released to float in river. that when its suposed to be reported as an accident and dealt with as i posted. sometimes no matter how hard we try and do a quick release things dont go right and there is loss. that is basic rule and doesnt say what to do in the case if it KNOWINGLY wont live. were not allowed to thgrow dead or dying fish in the water and is where ithink this more relates to rather than law around snagging or fowling fish...ill look harder for the write up

·
Registered
308 Posts
well a belly up snagged fish shouldnt to be released to float in river.
While I agree, the current Synopsis states that: Any legal fish that is deeply hooked,

hooked around the gills or bleeding

should be retained as part of your quota.

If the fish cannot be retained legally, you

can improve its chances for survival by

cutting the leader and releasing it with

the hook left in.

(p. 11, "Handling Your Catch"). In other words, they are saying that a foul hooked fish should be released into the river, even if it ends up floating belly up. Please do try to locate those write ups you've referenced ss; they sound very interesting.

I have released fish in lakes in the past that ended up floating belly up. Sometimes I would cruise over and bump them lightly with the edge of a landing net and they would come back to life and swim off. Some would bob back up later and I generally scooped them up and kept them, if my quota allowed for it. When shore fishing this was usually impossible. Sometimes the fish would bob stomach up for a while, then swim off on their own. Other times they wouldn't. I don't lose any sleep over it as I figure that either: 1) another animal ate them 2) they fertilized the lake bottom and the nutrients are back in the ecosystem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
lol..i havent said keep anything. i said take it to dfo. they decide what happens to it, if i read the info right that im trying to find. either way i think id be in it if i left it to die right there at the shore to. kinda a no win, but the self reporting doesnt waste the food part of it. ive seen self reporting info but it was just some study and wasnt specific or what i originaly read
and i think it wouldnt be an diff than loosing a salmon to sit on the bank to die. if it was an accident then what the diff. i havent seen a law around sturg that id be charged. just not a good thing like is for salmon. there is nothing in the regs to say what to do in the case for sturg, so to e id treat it like the other regs listed for a fish that wont make it as youve posted and leave it to die in river....im not saying thats right but its what the regs tell me. the whole thing isnt very clear realy

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
lol..i havent said keep anything. i said take it to dfo. they decide what happens to it, if i read the info right that im trying to find. either way i think id be in it if i left it to die right there at the shore to. kinda a no win, but the self reporting doesnt waste the food part of it. ive seen self reporting info but it was just some study and wasnt specific or what i originaly read
and i think it wouldnt be an diff than loosing a salmon to sit on the bank to die. if it was an accident then what the diff. i havent seen a law around sturg that id be charged. just not a good thing like is for salmon. there is nothing in the regs to say what to do in the case for sturg, so to e id treat it like the other regs listed for a fish that wont make it as youve posted and leave it to die in river....im not saying thats right but its what the regs tell me. the whole thing isnt very clear realy
Well DFO has nothing to do with Sturgeon so I imagine if you brought a dead one in to their local office you would get a lot of curious looks. I have never heard of this regulation, tidal or freshwater. The regs are designed so that they can be enforced. It would be difficult to enforce a reg saying you can keep a foul hooked fish that is wounded, probably going to die, is dead, or might day in a day or two, maybe in a week. How would you know? What if the fish was healthy, and it was bonked for dinner. It would be easy to say you were on the way to the local DFO office to turn it in if you were caught with it. An easy out and difficult to enforce.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.