BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While e mailing possible guide,s for the Terrace area I keep getting different rate,s for different river,s. Can someone please explain the difference between classified and non classified river,s. While looking at different site,s , I imagine the :ticket,s: to fish particular river,s differ in amount,s the guide,s have to pay, otherwise why the big differences in fee,s. As I have said before, we are novice,s in British Columbia way,s and regulation,s so I hope this is not too dumb a question.

· Registered
3,378 Posts
PM me the names of the rivers you are planning to fish in the Terrace area and the exact time of the year....I can get you some additional info regarding the best ones to fish etc....Not all "classified waters" are teriffic for fishing all the time...Some are much better than others depending on the water conditions and the season.
Ortho 8)

· Registered
33 Posts
If a river is classified waters, you have to buy a tag to fish that river but normally the tag is only $10-$20, so I doubt this is the reason that guides charge more for some rivers than others. I would guess that the reason would be travel distance and ease of access.

Rogue0412

· Registered
1,160 Posts
The guides have to pay some serious money to have access to the limited rod days on those classified waters.

It is made expensive for non residents and limits how many days a non res can fish.

Fishing classified water is expensive, but is meant to limit anglers and provide a quality fishing experience.

It's all part of fishing those famous Steelhead rivers, there are some non classified areas up there that have superb fishing, but these are typically harder to reach and will still cost considerable $$$ to fish.

Check out the Nass river and tributaries as a option.

This is a big reason why many visiting anglers chose to river fish for salmon in Southern BC, when you do the final cost analysis, its really no comparison.

Best of luck with your trip.

· Registered
584 Posts
like rod said the classified waters are there to preserve the river and the fishing experiance...it is more expensive but if done at the right time, right place with the right guide it is an experience not to be missed. The best summer run squaretail I have ever seen is on the river by the ol' family farm once she goes classified after sept 1 every year!

· Registered
186 Posts
1) Buy freshwater license
2) Salmon Stamp
3) Steelhead Stamp...
4) Classified waters License
5) Take fly rod along as some rivers are only rated for fly fishing
6) Take along regulation book for reference.....as some rivers can be confusing having multiple names.

Its going to run you about $97 for the lot...(as long as you are a BC resident)....AND REMEMBER...Licenses expire at the end of March regardless of when you purchased them.

Generally speaking your steelhead stamp is mandatory in most classified waters (good rule of thumb) there are exceptions eg. the lake else river which only requires a mandatory steelhead stamp dec.1 to may31
Other than that you should be good to go!!!
Good Luck and Tight Lines :beerchug:

· Registered
3,796 Posts
Ulsterfisher-You can go to this url http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/ where you can download a copy of the BC Freshwater Fishing Regulations Synopsis in pdf form. Page 7 of the synopsis (page 11 of the pdf) has the regulations regarding, and rationale behind, classified waters. Hope this helps clarify some points for you. It will also give you the actual costs for each licence and surcharges that apply.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.