BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tip's? bout to clean my versatip for the 1st time and am unsure of what to use, a google search provided a multitude of techniques but any tried and tested methods you guys use and will share with me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks - Jin.

· Registered
1,484 Posts
There's a topic about this on the sister site as well; Generally, what I do is take the line off and put it in a bucket of soapy water and let it sit for a couple of hours. Then, as I'm peeling the line out of the bucket, I run it through a wet face cloth to get the soap off it.

Once that's done, put the line back on the reel and get some Glide fly line dressing. Run the first 50 feet or so through the applicator and you're done.

· Registered
1,539 Posts
I think soapy water will strip the oils from the line and cause it to dry out. maybe im being a space cadet but that was my understanding (think i read it in a line care insert in a cortland box)
I just buy the little "fly line cleaner" at your local shop. put a bit on a rag and run it down the line a few times...makes a huge difference! it feels much slicker and runs thru the guides much better.

· Registered
1,660 Posts
Most modern flylines have lubricant formulated right into the flyline itself, and don't really need added fly dressing after cleaning. Flyline dressing might just attract dirt and grit afterwards, making it necessary to clean your lines more often. I just clean with mild soap and warm water, rinse, and pull through a soft cloth to clean my lines. I have a Versitip that's something like seven years old and still working well...so it must be getting the treatment it needs. (...or more likely not enough fishing time these days. :()

· Registered
106 Posts
I bought some fly line from a shop in campbell river, and the generous man threw in line cleaning fluid, and a line cleaning tool for free. The fluid is some white stuff, and the tool is a case type thing, about the size of a lighter that you run the line through a groove and it wipes everything off after you close the case around it. Sorry I cant really explain it.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0012376310822a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=0300703&cm_ite=0012376310822a
thats the dressing ^^^

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0012376311511a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=0300703&cm_ite=0012376311511a
thats the tool thinger ma bobber ^^^

im sure you could use just a cloth instead of buying the fancy box ;D

· Registered
59 Posts
I have used the "glide" product for years with great results. I just dab some on the applicator then pull the line (3 pulls forward, 2 pulls back & so on) 'til its all through. I then clean off any buildup in the applicator then rewind the line back onto the reel. this kind of buffs it as it goes back in. This works fine during the season. When winter comes, I wipe the whole line down with mild soapy water then reapply the glide before putting the reel away for the year. Of course, a little oil in the reel helps too. I've been fishing the same floating line for about 15 years now and it is just now starting to show signs of aging.

· Registered
14 Posts
Warm water and soap does it for me - Orvis make a really good line dressing if you need it BTW

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.