BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The gasoline price gonna kill all my fishing plans this year, should find another fun instead.

There are tons of peamouth chub and northern pike minnow in fraser nearby, i just wonder if anybody fly fished for them before? Are those coarse fish fly fishable? If yes, any recommend about patterns?

Thanks.

· Registered
1,660 Posts
I've caught large pike minnows on the Harrison while flyfishing for cohos. They've taken small olive woolly buggers fairly willingly. On the Fraser, I would imagine I could easily catch them drifting a small glo bug under an indicator along the shore when the salmon are running.

If you're really interested in coarse fishing, Darryl at Reaction just loves fishing for these guys for some reason. You should go there and chat with him. ;)

· Registered
234 Posts
Yep I'd imagine Darryl and Ferdie would be able to give you some great info. I love catching pike minnow but usually don't target them so I can't really help you out with any spots. I've got a few on black egg-sucking wooly buggers and minnow patterns at various locations while fishing for other species..

· Registered
691 Posts
You can definately flyfish for the NPM, like Stone said any egg pattern when the salmon are running will work. I also use wolly buggers and minnow patterns when lake fishing for them. My little 3wt makes them a blast, they tend to give a few head shakes then run-out of steam. There are a few spots on the Fraser where they get some real size to them.

· Registered
898 Posts
We should have a coarse fish fish-in!
I think you might be starting something there Stone
could make for a fun day :thumbup:
Anything for a Fly fishout is good with me :beerchug:

· Registered
876 Posts
The Cultus Lake Derby went really well yesterday, I landed 15 minnows and hooked many more. They actually put up a way better fight then I thought they would, being my 1st time fishing for them I was pleasantly surprised. They would be a blast on a fly rod, should make another derby, Im sure the people trying to remove them would be happy :thumbup: and the sockeye might like you enough to bite your hook out on the Fraser 4 years from now ;)

· Registered
146 Posts
The Cultus Lake Derby went really well yesterday
It was excellent. Took my dad fishing and had many hook ups. The pike minnow at Cultus can be reasonably decent on a fly. I used a brown rolled muddler there with success.
Cheers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.