BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the season is just about here so I thought I would share my latest fly of choice. Blue has worked great in the past so I am going to try this. Tied it up this morning after I hit a few places to get the supplies. It is tied on a number 8 streamer.

Lets see some of your favorites.

· Registered
517 Posts
Wow. Sometime a picture says much more than a long post. You guys really made me thinking seriously about creating my own flies. I know I will start doing it, just need some more time. Thanks for sharing these beauties.

Giuseppe

· Registered
517 Posts
Any other fly you may suggest to use for the vedder (for coho)? I can't make my own but I am trying to have a collection (buying it :wallbash:) of flies before going to the veddere in a couple of weeks. Any suggestion?

G

· Registered
3,796 Posts
Giuseppe-Try Christmas trees or flash flies (I have had really good luck on blue holoflash), woolly buggers (olive, brown and black), rolled muddlers (natural and olive both do well), Mickey Finns, KCKs or river dragons. I am sure other folks have their go to's as well. No need to go huge on these, most I fish in a size 8 or even 10.

· Registered
876 Posts
Christmas tree (beahead) is the best fly you could use out there. Coho love them and the chum will go for them too. Coho blues work well if you ONLY want coho. As said muddlers work well too and so do mickey finn, etc, etc. Christmas Tree is def my go to thouhg (make sure you cut off like half the flash that the tackle stores tie on, for some reason I have hooked way more coho doing this than fishing the whole fly ???)

· Registered
3,796 Posts
Commercially tied flies, be it salmon flies or trout flies, are almost always over dressed. Has something to do with catching fishermen rather than fish. Tying your own allows you to fine tune the dressing for your local waters and fish.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
that is so true :beerchug:

like most bucktail flies have just too much material. however i tie my muddlers with a little more than the stores do and they work great and this way if they want it sparser i can always clip some deer hair down further :peace:

Hey FF is that last fly of yours tied with Polar Bear or something else? im going to do up some bucktail-ish flies this year for coho. did lots for Pinks and they worked great on the Squish.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
I should have the pics up tomorrow. was going to do some tonight but just to tired from work, so i will do them in the morning before the girly gets up ;D best time for tying in my house ;D (me time)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.