BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
yeah that what most people do not think about. Just hammer popular holes where they see people "hook" coho and try to get some too but all end up with nothing because most coho are either lock jawed or just hanging at a different spot in the hole. i can never get coho on blade on a short float using my cp though. Was told to hold ur line back when your near the end of ur drift and retrieve....just does not work out, i need to see someone throw a float on their spinner and see how it is done lol.

·
Registered
354 Posts
................................................ i can never get coho on blade on a short float using my cp though. Was told to hold ur line back when your near the end of ur drift and retrieve....just does not work out, i need to see someone throw a float on their spinner and see how it is done lol.
Hold back a bit(float points at you and just starts to make ripples) while releasing line through the whole drift,concentrate on seams/rock lines.Try to be 12"-18" off bottom.Swing through bouldery pocket water holding back hard.Cast and retrieve dead slow in frog water/deep pools.

Reactions: fishtech

·
Registered
954 Posts
Good advice for the colorados, I only retrieve fast enough to get the blade to do a slow flip. Spoons - retrieve slow so the spoon flutters side to side not spinning.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hold back a bit(float points at you and just starts to make ripples) while releasing line through the whole drift,concentrate on seams/rock lines.Try to be 12"-18" off bottom.Swing through bouldery pocket water holding back hard.Cast and retrieve dead slow in frog water/deep pools.
Great comments on blade fishing...

·
Registered
290 Posts
thanks for the tip spoonman. is it even possible to float drift spoon? lol i just thought that up when ur name happened to be spoonman lol.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
is it even possible to float drift spoon?
Yes, Although I'm not as good with it as I'd like to be, It can be quite good.
Do like spoonman says, also fish it like a jig, drift and hold back if needed to get it turning according to the current/flow and size of spoon.
Someone else will pipe in with better particulars

·
Registered
354 Posts
thanks for the tip spoonman. is it even possible to float drift spoon? lol i just thought that up when ur name happened to be spoonman lol.
................think thin bladed trolling spoons in the appropriate size.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The important thing with any spinner, whether fished directly off a line or under a float, is to ensure the action continually changes. Go to youtube and you can find videos that show fish actually mesmerized by a spinner blade. Many fish will follow the lure for quite a distance, then get bored and swim off, if there is no change in action. Changing the action/speed of the blade induces a strike reaction..its just instinct taking over and no predator fish likes the idea of an escaping meal, even if they're not hungry.

A few things you can do to vary the action:
- the simplest of course is to just vary your retrieve speed..slow..speed up for a few turns..slow down again, etc. Fish will invariably bite as the lure speeds up. This technique is deadly for kitmats and crocs too.
- if fishing a colorado under a float or are anchored and plunking with any kind of spinner, you really want the kind of action where the blade slowly spins...stops or hangs briefly....then slowly spins again. Fish will usually grab as the blade speeds up. Success is generally determined as much by the current speed as anything else although using a different type of blade or heavier/lighter body will assist in slowing the action.
- if you make your own blades, consider soldering two blades together. To me, blade weight is far more important than body weight...not so much for casting ability or depth capability but the fact that a heavier blade will turn slower. Again, whether your anchored and plunking or casting, what you really want to see and feel is your rod tip slowly pulsing with every revolution of the blade. If its not, you are either using too light of a blade, the current is too fast or your retrieval speed is too fast.

You can catch fish with any retrieval speed and virtually any spinner type but to consistently catch fish, you need to go slooooooow.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Slow to me is as slow as the spinner will revolve. Like I said earlier, sometimes its advantagous to have the spinner actually stop and start up again but generally, just try and keep the rotation speed slow. You can often judge that by watching your rod tip. A slow steady thump is optimum. Sometimes you can't get that though if the current is too fast or you are using a light bladed spinner. It just takes some experimentation to see what works for you.

Having said all that, you will see people catch fish on a much faster retrieve. That happens all the time. I believe though that if given the choice of a retrieval speed, the majority of salmon prefer the slowest rotation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts