BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Thinking about going to the tidal waters at Boundary Bay (Surrey) and I know the Coho runs can be pretty good down there but I was wondering when they come in? I heard mid-September was the best time to go... Would the first be in now?

Thanks. :cheers:

·
Registered
23 Posts
It really depends in what fish you are targeting. If you want to focus on the fish bound for the Columbia and other American rivers now is a good time. If you want to target the fish bound for local rivers flowing into the Bay the Springs will start to stack soon with coho starting closer to October. Although I know a lot of people oppose targetting those runs, with the exception of steelhead I support it. It's where I learned. But if you are going to fish those consider dropping by one of the local hatcheries that work so hard to maintain them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It really depends in what fish you are targeting. If you want to focus on the fish bound for the Columbia and other American rivers now is a good time. If you want to target the fish bound for local rivers flowing into the Bay the Springs will start to stack soon with coho starting closer to October. Although I know a lot of people oppose targetting those runs, with the exception of steelhead I support it. It's where I learned. But if you are going to fish those consider dropping by one of the local hatcheries that work so hard to maintain them.
Okay.
What about the Nickelmackel and Serpintine rivers? And the Bay itself?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Okay.
What about the Nickelmackel and Serpintine rivers? And the Bay itself?
no retention of coho till oct 1st
in non tidal..... as for fishing mud bay... i really don't know if u could even get a boat in there or if it is even open

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's tough fishing. Those fish are notoriously closed mouthed. The few times I've found them I could not get them to take.
Okay. I was told that you could see hundreds jumping in mid-september right at the marina there. Spinners and genarlly anything flashy is suppose to work. :hmmm:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Read it on the internet so it must true.
Seriously. Some of these sensitive streams require more effort than reward.
Anyone who told you'd do well with flashy flies and spinners had "a one of" day.
Its Worth fishing but don't expect someone else's glory day.
Good luck!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I live in White Rock and been trying down there for years (since I was a kid with my Dad) and other than one tired pink that my son caught on Thanksgiving day in 2011, nada. There are often fish rolling and jumping, you can see them from the flood gates at the Nic sometimes, but they are NOT easy. BTW - DFO tickets people from fishing there, something about being 50 meters from a fishway meaning the floodgates.
I have been also told that the hatchery on the nic does not mark their fish, making it virtually impossible to find "hatchery" fish to bonk.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I learned to fish on the 3 main rivers in the area. The LC, The Serp, and The Nic. Are these rivers easy fish, NO! But that being said I find if I do my part (tides and location mostly) I will catch salmon, but the hours/to fish ratio is pretty low. As to the comment about the Nicomekl Enhancement Society, the only ones not clipped are the Chinook and the Pinks. There is no opening for the Pinks and the Springs are only clipped by one hatchery in BC (the USA is different).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts