BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined this forum to learn about fishing for salmon...ask me almost anything about trout, but I need help with fishing the Fraser and it's tributaries for salmon.
I really appreciated the lesson we had a couple of days ago about using kwikfish lures for Springs, I hope to try that method soon.
But now that Coho season is a month away, could we have similar lessons on good coho techniques, both with fly, lures, drift, whatever that is acceptable.
I think a lot of us would appreciate that.
Thanks.

· Registered
61 Posts
Salmon Fishing

If I missed anything, can anyone please help me out? These are the basics; you will learn things very quickly.

LURES

Coho: Lures are used when you have found a deep-current lacking pools (Minimal current at least). Also very slow stretches of river and sloughs.
· Vibrex Spinners (Brass or hammered brass)
· Coho Killers
· Colorado’s (Brass)
· Sil-Vex

Springs: Are taken by large spoons in the lower Vedder (channel). Just find any deep pockets and giver.
· Koho (Brass)
· Iron Head’s (Brass)

Chum: Don’t bother using gear you will be broke.

Note: Besides the coho killers try to keep you hardware in brass colors for most rivers. See what other guy’s suggest too.

FLOAT FISHING:

This is the main technique on most rivers.

Coho: You will need the following:

· “Dink” Floats.
· Swivels
· Pencil lead
· Hook’s you will need a variety depending on the water. Typically you will need #1’s (Cloudier water), #4’s (Clear water).
· Leader line again a variety 10lb test (Cloudier water) and 6-8 lb test for clear water.
· Peach, white, bubble gum wool, see what other suggest too.
· This is optional but I always have a jar of Jensen eggs (Orange).

To put all this gear together:

1. First the float goes on the main line, put the line through the top, you will see it come out wrap it around the float once and slide the line into the bottom lead. This will allow you to change line depth without any problem.

2. Tie on a swivel if it’s a single (Not a three-way) leave a bit of a tail for the lead about 1-1.5”. They’re a few methods here to attach the led.

3. Then put the pencil lead on the tail, when breaking a chunk of lead off, use pliers, just choose the size and wiggle the lead back and forth, don’t cut it. You need a hole on either side. Slip the lead onto the tail and crimp with pliers.

4. You know need a “bait tie” leader this goes onto your swivel.

5. Than use roe size of a quarter, or wool trimmed into a ball the size of a pea. You can also use wool peas size and slip a Jensen egg behind it this is a good option.

Now here is the thing, the line between your float and swivel on the main line depend on the depth you fish. You want to lead to just hit the bottom, I mean just or just off the bottom and again I mean just. The leader length should be about 1.0-2ft. The pencil led is dependant on the water speed.

For a basic idea of what it should look like, lose the jig too!: (Size of gear will be different)

http://www.steelheadnotebook.net/images/float_jig2.jpg

The same goes for Springs and Chum, just increase the hook size to about 1/0 hook and increase the leader line to about 12lb test, everything else is the same.

WATER TO FISH: All system’s

Coho: The slack water I talked about earlier you can fish that float fishing, fish right on the edge of the fast water and the slack, Just on the fast side enough to carry your float. So cast slightly upstream to get a good float. This will take some practice. You can free spool to a bit to cover more area.

The best is pools and behind rocks. Find an area with large boulders that have decent size pools behind them, like deep about 3-5 ft of water. Go above them (A few meters if you can) and dance your float around them along the seam water, keep doing this. Coho move in and out quickly, but rest in these spots.

In the Chehalis I had luck fishing roe very close to log jams.

On the Vedder you don’t have to fish where everyone else does. I never did and I had tons of success. Park and hike, you’ll learn more this way too.

Springs: Same seam water, but they tend to like deep fast runs. So look for deeper pools or runs with deep, faster water.

Chum: Are everywhere, especially in the tail out of runs and pools.

Baits:

Roe: Try to find some good quality roe and keep it quarter sized, you can also use roe bags. Just ask a guy at a local shop to show you how.

Wool: Keep it small and keep it trimmed up, if you get a tail on it from casting and such, trim it.

How to tie an “egg loop”:

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/resourcecenter/bumperknot.htm

Good luck

· Registered
1,660 Posts
That's some great info so far guys. I'll share a little about flyfishing for coho...

-Mostly you are looking for slower paced water where salmon tend to school up and mill around.
-Generally, I carry two spools for my reel: 1) one loaded with a RIO Versitip line with a floating head and several sinking heads with different sink rates, and 2) a second spool loaded with a Cortland 444SL clear full sinking intermediate (slow) line.
-Rule of thumb is if you are fishing a pool of water with little or no current, then that situation is ideal for a intermediate sinking line or a full floater, depending on what type of presentation the fish prefer.
-Cast out and experiment how long you let your line or fly sink and how fast or slow you need to retrieve. Some years I've found a slowly retrieved fly 2' below the surface was the ticket, other years it was a dead drifted (on very slow current) fly on a floating line.
-Flies to try for coho are: 1)BH muddlers, 2)Woolly Buggers in olive or black, 3)Christmas Trees. But these are just suggestions, and don't be afraid to throw whatever is in your box if nothing is working.
-Sometimes in these pools, you will encounter "stale" fish that have been sitting there and have been pounded by anglers for days. These fish will tend to just sulk and not bite at all. Your best bet would be to find moving fish that have just entered the pool as they will be aggressive. Also, salmon will tend to move around more at dawn and dusk...so these are the best times to target them.

Springs on the fly:
-I generally don't target springs and large chums on my single hand flyrod anymore because I get too tired after just a couple of fish. I prefer to target them using my spey rod.
-Springs generally love the current more. Therefore the use of heavy sink tips or even lead core or tungsten line might be needed.
-I like to target them when they sit in a current seam between the fast main current and the mouth of a stagnant pool.
-I use a heavily weighted fly and a sink tip and cast to the main current letting it sweep my line and fly into the seam.
-As you let your fly and line sit on the seam for a few seconds, start to twitch it in towards you.
-They'll often hit and take off immediately for the main current...and if you have a single hander, good luck and have fun running. :wink:
-Flies of choice are: 1)different large BH Woolly Buggers and leeches in all types of colour combinations (ex. black/red, olive/black, etc.), 2) large Christmas Trees, 3) large weighted zonkers in different colour combinations.
-Don't be shy about your leader on these guys. I often use a straight section of 4-6' of 12 pound when I fish for springs. If you want a better turn over of heavy flies, then add a short (2') butt section of 25 lb leader to your 10-12 pound tippet. And use Maxima Ultra Green, not trout tippet.

Flyfishing for Chums:
-Well, chums in the Vedder will take just about anything presented any way you want. Good luck keeping them off your line if they're in there. :lol:

Hope that's helped you out a little. Watch for any fish ins this year, and come out and fish with us. Good luck.

· Registered
172 Posts
Wool. Green/blue variations or peach/pink. Its cheap and you can vary the size of your presentation to suit the water clarity. Silver colorado blades work very well too.

· Registered
351 Posts
Don't foget spoons for coho
kohos in silver/green scale and silver/blue scale and Crocs in brass and silver with/without fire stripe/wings.Or in very clear low water a brass Dick Nite.

· Registered
1,989 Posts
is there a website on the vedder to tell people what fish are in the river on any given time? maybe the hatchery has updates on the fish at the hatchery?

C.K.

· Registered
1,519 Posts
The3 cohos are in and around Ambleside right now. There are some good size cohos out there too,some pushing 12 lbs.

Hotrod

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.