BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone fish this river? i need some tips...have caught a few 8-12 inch rainbows on both wetflies and small golden lures, but in one of my secret "pockets" there lurks a trout at least 10 pounds :eek:

any tips anyone? he refuses to bite for anything!!! :mad:!!!

· Banned
2,854 Posts
ya i read a thing in my backroad book about this river. it says spotty fishing for small rainbows and for BIG bulls :cheers: that has got to be a big bull your seeing. ive never fished it personnaly but maybe :peace:

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
around thanksgiving last year, i saw a school of trout in one of the deeper pools, god, there must have been close to 400 fish!!! :happy: the largest three would easily have been above 8 pounds... :thumbup:

· Registered
28 Posts
I've fished that river many times over the years and I have found that in the fall when the water is low all the species tend to bunch together. I can remember seeing whitefish, coho, bull trout, suckers, and chinook all in the same pool.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
looks like i might have to take the fly rod up there and check it out. on that note anyone have an area to start at? maybe a place to camp along the river and then i can walk it from there? Thanks

· Registered
3,796 Posts
Pat AV said:
Looks like the gold rush is on to the Coldwater for trophy 5+ pound trout ::)

Just kidding guys good luck to all who decide to try it.
I have fished the Coldwater many times and it is a very tough bit of water. The fish tend to be small and very few at that. The 5 lb + trout in that river does not exist. Sorry to break the news. There may be a few found down near the mouth where it dumps into the Nicola, but over all the river is not a productive stream, hence the designation of the river as one of the most endangered in the province. There are much better, and prolific rivers in the lower part of the province. Skagit, Sumallo, Simillkameen, Thompson, Coquihalla, Nicola, etc. Leave this one alone, it needs the help.

· Registered
2,348 Posts
I too have fished and done work on the Coldwater several times. Your are right it is not a great trout river my last post was is jest thus the "roll eyes" smiley.

Good of you to spell it out in simple terms though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.