BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
What a joke!!!!
"We fish for food, fun, and, for some it's the only way we know how to provide income for our families."
Sportfishing=fishing for food and fun. The income part, go get a frigging job I'm tired of supporting you!!!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
roscoe- I was out Sunday in the Fraser testing out my new outboard. Right next to the Port Man Bridge there were some nets out.. I couldn't believe it, I wanted to say something but my buddy thought it be best if we kept quiet. Called it in none the less.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
There are official legal openings on the Fraser for First nations fishermen. Quite possible the boats everyone has noticed are legal fisheries. Regardless of what we might think of that, we need to keep that in mind before we jump to the conclusions that any boats we see out there are fishing illegally.

As for this persons point of view, it reminds of the point of view of many sportfisherman out there right now...narrow minded, bitter, and looking for any possible reason to hate.

Am I the only person that is tired of hearing all the rants...? I'd like to see something done about the problems we keep hearing about incessantly, but I fear that isn't going to happen.

I can't be the only member here that is getting tired of hearing the same old argument about the same old issues...? Has anyone here thought about doing something about it...?

How about some ideas on that...? Ideas on what people like us as a group can do about these issues.

Suggestions...?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hey Guys

It must have been a slow news day, I can't believe that they would print that load of crap!!! :naughty:

Centerpin 8)

·
Registered
612 Posts
That idiot is a grade "A" a$$***e...
And we wonder why there's a problem with arogant pricks like that out there beaking off ....
His river my ass!!!! Just as much mine river as his and everyone's ,if he dislikes my belief that all Canadians have equal shares in this country tough crap,get used to it buddy,you're no-one special and won't be treated as such..
Get used to being just another Canadian like the rest of us poor slobs!! ::)

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Front man...well, that's one idea...There's a lot involved in that. Maybe it would be best to start small and forget the hollywood option...

Perhaps we could pursue the idea of contacting the media regarding illegal fish sales...that might be a more realistic goal. It would be really good to speak with someone in the media who has already covered this issue to some extent. Perhaps we could go through some of the recent articles and interviews that have been in the media and put together a few names. Start small. Attack the issue itself.

The problem is most sportfishermen are more concerned with whether or not they will get their chance to fish for sockeye on the fraser rather than the issue itself. Most statements I see are more like a teenager crying to their mother or father about the fact that "so and so gets to do it why can't I...?"

If a small group of people are of like mind and don't suffer from their own personal agenda's then it is quite feasible to tackle this issue effectively. What I see now is many user groups whining about their rights. What I think about the issue is something else all together.

What are the reasons the sportfishery was closed in that section of the Fraser? The reason used to justify the closure anyways...What are the reasons sport and other fisheries are still open in various parts of the Fraser right now...? I don't think the sportfishing community is ready to give up its own personal agendas. I don't think most people would be willing to give up enough of themselves to put the time in to actually do something.

But if something were to be done, I would use the very same arguments the law uses to justify closures and such. I would start with some controversy. That always gets attention. Illegal sales is a good start, because they fly in the face of conservation...and that was the reason for the closures, officially.

Problem is, most of those who speak up on this issue here and throughout the province, whatever their race, interest group, or volume of the voice they raise, are more concerned with how it affects them than how this all affects the fish.

What a lot of people don't realize throughout their lives is that many people they meet can see right through their disguises. Those personal agendas can't just be hidden really well, they need to be given up. Unfortunately most of the interest groups are wrought with people that can't get past themselves.

That is why I don't see a solution to this problem happening anytime soon...

rib

·
Registered
455 Posts
I don't agree at all it's not you and I's fault but it's the way our goverment has protrayed us all. Do you remember the case where the mounted police had an issue whith the uniform and all of a sudden the debate and t-shirts came out with the saying who is the minority. Do you know that it's legal to wear a head dress as a helmet even though it does not have a DOT rating but because it is cerimonial it's legal. We are in the modern area and if it was legal to rape and pilliage the next villiage because we were stronger it's not now. We need to work together and not as individuals any more. Until this happens nothing is going to change, smarten up grow up while we let others set our rules for us we are going to take advantage of them. I'm sure we can set excamples for them and make them feel like idiots. Just because they say we can do it does't me we have to. ( just becasue it's our right.) let's take matters in our own hand and do it right.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I read the article and I saw someone (supposedly FN) using basically the same arguments that that sport fishers have been using:

"you guys have had a good run, but I think it's time to move on and move over." - Jason Thompson

“If some of the Native's arguments are because we have sold and traded fish our entire life we have the right to, that argument is simply outdated. It is time to change and stop living in the past.”-GrandA

“I kinda think that if it costs 500$$$ a year to fish,I better get 500 bucks worth a fish.”-flychucker

“…when you’re out on the Fraser, you’re not just on water; you’ve ‘raped, pillaged and looted.’ “ – Jason Thompson

I don’t know if he is serious, or if he is trying to be satirical. If it is the later, it is a valiant, if somewhat crude effort. If the former, he is truly an a$$^%&e, but we certainly are not without those on this side either (and I may be one of them).

Frankly, I am terribly fed-up with the rancor on both sides of the issue. I am tired of about fishing below the Port Mann…The river is closed from Mission to Hope not Hope to the sea. I am tired of people whining because they “can’t get theirs” but someone else can. You are all right…the system is not perfect, but for the most part, people are not willing or able to look critically at the issues and less likely to be able or willing to do the work tocome up with a credible solution, so the bitching and moaning continues. Everyone of you whiners should take it on yourself to do one positive act to change the problem you perceive. Write to your MLA or MP (better yet go to their constituency office and meet them face to face. In the next election ask each candidate how they represent your concerns, then get out and vote for the one most likely to satisfy you. Join your local fish and game club. Get involved in stream clean-ups, habitat restoration, hatchery programs, etc. Or continue to sit in front of your monitor and dredge up all the wrongs you have suffered and expect the rest of us to take you as something more than a petty, bitter soul.

·
Registered
21 Posts
[
As for this persons point of view, it reminds of the point of view of many sportfisherman out there right now...narrow minded, bitter, and looking for any possible reason to hate.

Am I the only person that is tired of hearing all the rants...? I'd like to see something done about the problems we keep hearing about incessantly, but I fear that isn't going to happen.

I can't be the only member here that is getting tired of hearing the same old argument about the same old issues...? Has anyone here thought about doing something about it...?

How about some ideas on that...? Ideas on what people like us as a group can do about these issues.

Suggestions...?

[/quote]

Frankly I thought this letter to the editor made some decent points. But it's a letter of opinion to the editor and the fellow is entitled to his opinion. this mild compared to some of the stuff I have been reading on "sport fishing boards"

I am tired of the rants. I am tired of the out and out bigotry, ignorance & racism, most of it coming from the commercial sport fishing community. Not that the FN fishers are all innocent.It seems to me all users groups are putting their interests before the need of the fish and the environment. Poor old DFO/FOC simply gets squashed in the middle.
I think we need the sport fishing and FN community to talk and work together. People need to sit down over a cup of coffee and talk about how can we make things better. How can we both have access to the fishing and establish some mutual respect.

·
Registered
612 Posts
How on earth do you all expect people to resond without being labelled whiners,ranters and bigots...Doesn't seem that anyone can voice an opinion strongly and not be labelled....No matter how much sensitivity they use..
The bottom line here folks is, continued harvest of salmon during extremely low returns when we don't know for sure if the fish are just late or not there at all is plain and simpley wrong,for any reason....
FN bands in the Fraser Valley are not going to live or die if they keep their nets out of the water and the sportsfishers can suffer what they have to as well......
Getting real tire of the stupid politically correctness pervading this issue. Everyone will get by if there is no harvest of salmon, in dire cases the government can step in and help...
If the government is really that concerned about the numbers of stock returning they would enforce no harvest for any reason period,plain and simple ..
To harvest for the reasons the bands in the Fraser Valley put forward and really risk devastation to the numbers reaching the spawning grounds to keep the generation going are indefensible ..
Ceremonies won't end because sockeye aren't laid out on the BBQ or in the smokehouse for one season...
Come on, have some respect for nature and the benefits Canadians(all) derive from it..
I hope we as a community can come together and work out a solution that will work for all and get firm enforcement commitments...I would suggest we use the off season starting in the late fall when people are not swept up with the passion of making nonsensical remarks and doing crazy things..
If we don't get this thing fixed it will continue on the downhill slide faster every year till we are all eating tofu..
Time to get organized and act together as a whole community not the "them vs us attitude". Thats old and doesn't work... :wallbash:

·
Registered
167 Posts
In principle I agree wholeheartedly with the previous post. However, part of the problem is how our so called Government bodies manage the Fraser River. I have looked at information from the latest meeting of the Fraser River panel that was held this week. They still give the same old song and dance about recreational fishing closures on the Fraser, and that there will be Aboriginal openings, etc. But what the heck, if you read more, you will see that U.S. commercial fisherman will be allowed to ply their trade on Canadian waters- which will have an impact on salmon trying to get up the Fraser. Yup .....the so called ever caring Government of ours really cares about our valuable resource during a low run salmon year. Not to be American bashing, but this decision makes no sense at all. If doesn't get your blood boiling I don't know what will. I for one, will be at a minimum firing off some letters to my MLA, and MP for my area questioning what is going on with the management of the Fraser River fishery. I don't know who is driving the bus right now in terms of fishery management, but it sure seems they could care less about the salmon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
abbyfireguy said:
How on earth do you all expect people to resond without being labelled whiners,ranters and bigots...Doesn't seem that anyone can voice an opinion strongly and not be labelled....
see your point there. The trouble is so few sport fishers see it that way when they call for the elimination of native fishing rights - I've living and fishing here since the early 60's and it throughout that period sport anglers regularly insisted that whatever rights FNs had they should be taken away - or describe it as "rape and pillage".

This has become a dirty business and it's a dirty business because so many people involved are... >insert nasty words here.>

cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.