BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - so there's a commercial opening scheduled for tomorrow. I believe the opening ends tomorrow evening. How long should one wait before hitting the upper Fraser for sockeye after a commercial opening?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
2 Days ....... 6 Hours .......... 12 minutes ....... 33.5 seconds ........ PRECISELY :wink:

And that's no joke. :lol:

GOFISH 8)

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
you have figured out the science of it all hey GOFISH

thanks for that maybe i will head out wednesday night try my luck

anyone know if the natives will be drifting during the week also ??

tight lines

HOOK

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Now, according to my calculations, these salmonoid species, based on statements given, are traveling at or near

approximately 1.84470km/hr or alittle more than half the average male walking speed at 3.5 km/h woman being around

3km/hr, give or take. Does that sound slow or is there rest stops and side trips accounted for .......? :D

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Actually ........ give or take a little .... I think you'll find my calculation quite accurate for the upper river (above Agassiz bridge). Of course there is always a little humour to hopefully put a smile on some peoples faces. :wink:

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
If all the female fish are shopping, they will be swimming a lot faster than the males!

·
Retired Administrator
4,448 Posts
Hi folks,

What about the "whack" of fish that are already above the gillnetters after the fishery closes, will they not provide opportunities tomorrow for recreational anglers?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The longer it is after the vacumns start sucking the river dry ..... the further you will probably have to go up the river.

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
i think it's great to have 2 openings so far this year for the commercial fleet.... so that makes 5 openings in the past 6 years for lastyear they never even got an opening did they? brings lots of money into the lowermainland economy and i think there will be one more opening for the commercial fleet befor the season is over!!! good for them!

C.K.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Just got off the phone with a buddy who works on the river (Boomman). He said as far as he can see from one side of the river to the other the nets are out. One of the boats he was watching pull in thier net and the crew seemed pretty happy about the results. Taking pictures ect. Sounds like there's alot of fish in the river right now.

-RC

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've been told that a comercially caught fish, while it does add to the economy, it's still 2/3's less than that same fish caught by a recreational fisherman. 100 commercials doesn't come close to 1000 sporties, by the time you factor in gear, boats, feul, food, etc.....
Anyone care to correct me on this? :?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I would love to see the actual stats on what I mentioned in my earlier post.
Even though I'm not an advocate for netting, I still don't mind the natives netting for subsistance, cerimonial, etc... But do have a small problem with a small sect of people, both native and commercial, being allowed to profit from a natural resource, especially if it's tax dollars going to support it. Obviously, if my livelyhood was based on commercial fishing, my outlook would be different.
I'm just a working stiff, and my time off work or weekends spent fishing are limited. I probly spend close to $100.00 a day fishing (Gas, food, gear, etc) and like to take my kids out and catch some fish. No I don't have to catch fish to make the day worth it, but when I go out, I like to at least have a decent chance, without haveing a big hole in a river system due to netting.
Just my $.02 worth. :lol:

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've seen F/N openly selling sockeye right from mission boat launch? And what's with F/N's unloading their sockeye onto a large troller just up-stream of mission bridge, I was told this was DFO trying to stop F/N from selling fish publicly, but this makes no sence to me basically the gov't is paying for them to fish then :?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
word on the street(and the province news paper!) is the first nations people can sell up too 225,00 sockeye this year only certian bands only thats a fair chunk of change if you ask me? whats going rate for natives to sell sockeye for?

C.K.

·
Registered
730 Posts
$10 bucks each but gonna be gettin cheaper, reports in the local rag has reports of sock's already being dumped in ditches beacause they haven't been sold.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
i beleave thats $2.250.000.00 damb skippy thats alot of dough!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts