BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Como Lake Angling Regulation Change
Supplementary Information
One of the Freshwater Angling Regulation changes the Ministry of Environment is proposing for April 1, 2009, is to remove the current Age Restriction for recreational angling on Como Lake. This will open the lake to angling by anyone with a valid BC Freshwater Fishing Licence.
Reasons for the change:
♦ The Age Restriction concept was developed many years ago when youth, seniors and the disabled required some easily accessible fisheries in order to avoid competing with more knowledgeable and agile anglers.
♦ Times have changed. There are fewer anglers and many parents will not allow their children to fish alone.
♦ The transfer of angling knowledge from parent to child often requires the participation of the parent, which is awkward on Age Restricted waters.
♦ The Ministry and its partners, the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC and the City of Coquitlam, recognize the value of Como Lake as a family fishing lake.
♦ Como Lake is a stocked fishery. It is possible to adjust the number of rainbow trout released into the lake to meet angler participation demands.
Written input to the Ministry on the proposed change will be received up to Thursday, July 31, 2008, and can be provided in one of the following ways:
Email: [email protected]
Subject line: Lower Mainland Freshwater Angling Regulations
Fax: 604-930-7119
Subject line: Lower Mainland Freshwater Angling Regulations
Mail: Ministry of Environment
Lower Mainland Region
2nd Floor, 10470 – 152nd Street
Surrey BC V3R 0Y3
Attention: Fishing Regulations Change Coordinator

·
Registered
260 Posts
I realize there is a goal to simplify the regs province wide, not that the potential change above appears to be about simplification.

It would great to see the change be something along the lines of 'adults may fish if fishing directly with a person under 16 years old'.

This would solve the issue of wanting the opportunity of transfer of knowledge from adult to younger new fisher person/family participation without the lake being over fished.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i think if someone got fined for being in the wrong age bracket and pushed it thru court it might get the law thrown out as it is age discrimination and against the charter of rights???
i think it is a good idea to drop it but maybe the idea of "in the company of someone under 16 " wouldn't be a bad idea, the adults do have lafarge.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
wagonmaster said:
i think if someone got fined for being in the wrong age bracket and pushed it thru court it might get the law thrown out as it is age discrimination and against the charter of rights???
i think it is a good idea to drop it but maybe the idea of "in the company of someone under 16 " wouldn't be a bad idea, the adults do have lafarge.
Exactly what I was thinking.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
wagonmaster said:
Pretty tough to get the courts to bite on that one. We have plenty of age related regulations in our society: 18 to vote, 16 to get a drivers license, 14 to consent to sex, 65 to collect Canada pension, etc. The Canadian Bill of Rights and Freedoms actually addresses the issue behind this particular regulation.

" 15. (1) Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability

(2) Subsection (1) does not preclude any law, program or activity that has as its object the amelioration of conditions of disadvantaged individuals or groups including those that are disadvantaged because of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability. "

The rationale behind the regulation is/was that many seniors are not mobile enough (fo reasons of health or finances) to travel to the many fishing spots the province affords and therefore certain small urban locations were reserved for them. The same lack of mobility was recognized in those under the age of 16 (no drivers in this group). I am very much in favour of retaining the regulation. The way we treat the seniors in our society is a reflection of the standards and value of our society as a whole. These are people who have contributed their whole lives to the betterment of you and I, and granting them an occasional oasis for their enjoyment is a small thank you.

·
Registered
452 Posts
What would probably work best is have grandpa/ma take the grandkids out there to show them the ropes a la "I remember when"- no need to challenge the rule from my standpoint.

·
Registered
33 Posts
♦ Como Lake is a stocked fishery. It is possible to adjust the number of rainbow trout released into the lake to meet angler participation demands.

I think this is a great idea, there is allot of pros and allot of cons to this. I dont think we could stock this lake to meet the demands. each year this lake is overstocked for the Como Lake Fishing derby. Were not talking a couple of fish there are thousands relesed into this lake each year. these fish do not last as they are fished out within a few days. I would have to say the biggest use on the lake is the retired as they use it daily. Durring the fishing derby, parents participate with their children. I do not think that parents are not participating if they dont have thier own rod in hand. as long as the parent is with their child and child has a rod in hand. I would love this local lake to be open to all as this would be convient for all of us to have a nice little local fishery. but I think the overuseage and crowds would take away from this area.

just a thought

·
Registered
36 Posts
Opening up Como Lake to all ages is a good idea, and definately limits the confusion on over all restrictions.

I grew up pretty close to Como Lake & LOVED fishing off the dock, & then me & my brother in our little dingy.... great memories of catching trout...

Now I'm right around the corner from Lafarge & it's nice to be chilling @ home, grab the rod & saunter over with my spinner... & cast into the evening sun-set....

ON the topic of AGE: some people just don't get it. I was volunteering @ the Lafarge fishing weekend in June & there was a corner of the lake specifically netted off with extra fish, making it easy for the kids new to the sport to team up with one of the volunteer anglers (to get one on the line pretty quick)... BUT WOULD'nt you know it some people (full fishing gear<clearly not newbies> without kids even) had to be asked, no, blantantly told and pointed in another direction, a number of times to fish in the rest of the lake (fully, freshly stocked) & leave the hot zone for kids only... (i'm serious.)

MY POINT here, is that there is an innocence and finness in kids & the young @ heart that maybe some anglers need to be remind of...regardless of what the restrictions are. (maybe a good start would be to always take your garbage with you people!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.