BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

After reading many of the posts and opinions on this sight I can safley say bottom bouncing is not for me. Purhaps the reasoning behing the high numbers of bottom bouncers is the the simplicity of the method. Lets face it, anyone could learn first time out.

So this is the situation I'm in now. Have a 16' weld aluminum ready for the river, have rods & reels setup for bottom bouncing and I want to change my ways. Don't really like the idea of barfishing for the simple fact that I'd go squirrley being inactive. What are my options? I've heard of backtrolling and othe methods with the rod in the rodholder. I have no clue where or how this is done :confused: Any help from you guys on other methods I can attempt with the equipment I already have would be greatly appreciated. I live in Poco and usually fish off of grassy bar. Remember, your info is going to a good cause, there will be one less bottom bouncer out this year on the Fraser! Cheers!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hey livinlarge

Congrats on the conversion,I to converted about mid season last year just couldn't take it any more. As far as new methods are concerned there are many. I will give you the list of viable options that I have come up with so far although I have not tried all of them I am getting geared up so that I can.

1.Tossing spoons and spinners at the creek mouths can be very effective.
2. Drift fishing roe at the mouth of the Vedder and all the way up to the highway bridge can be good.
3. The ever popular bar fishing either from shore or anchored in your boat.
4. Fishing large plugs such as Kwik fish or storm mag warts.
5. Tossing large dark colored flies when the visability improves

Like you I am looking for a method a bit more interactive than watching my rod sitting in a holder. So I tend to lean to the tossing spoons or drifting roe at the many creeks and small rivers that flow into the Fraser.
I have been buying a large selection of big plugs and I am trying to gather as much info as possible on the correct way to fish them. I recently purchased a Fraser king bar rod to give that a go as well, I am going to see if I can persuade one of the more experienced bar fishers on this site to school me on the ins and outs of bar fishing as I have never tried it in the river past Mission although I have had great success bar fishing the lower river for Coho.

I am sure the many members on this site will be able to give you more info on some other methods that they find effective for them

Centerpin 8)

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
I have just recently heard of an intresting method of bachtrolling with a flatfish and cutplug...

anyone tried this one on the Fraser..??

Dare to care... :beerchug: Marko

·
Registered
298 Posts
I started looking through the archives for some info on trolling the fraser and figured this thread was worth resurrecting. Lots of questions here and very few answers. :confused: I will be out there trying some different methods (never had much success with the "tried and true" spin-n-glo) I know back trolling plugs is popular in the US. Maybe one of our southern members could shed some light on this method. The best info I have found on fishing plugs is on the Lurh Jensen site about the quick-fish. I think I'm gonna start with trolling a spoon at creek mouths. Any suggestions on colour? Blue seems popular these days :-X >:D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Centerpin said:
Hey livinlarge

Congrats on the conversion,I to converted about mid season last year just couldn't take it any more. As far as new methods are concerned there are many. I will give you the list of viable options that I have come up with so far although I have not tried all of them I am getting geared up so that I can.

1.Tossing spoons and spinners at the creek mouths can be very effective.
2. Drift fishing roe at the mouth of the Vedder and all the way up to the highway bridge can be good.
3. The ever popular bar fishing either from shore or anchored in your boat.
4. Fishing large plugs such as Kwik fish or storm mag warts.
5. Tossing large dark colored flies when the visability improves

Like you I am looking for a method a bit more interactive than watching my rod sitting in a holder. So I tend to lean to the tossing spoons or drifting roe at the many creeks and small rivers that flow into the Fraser.
I have been buying a large selection of big plugs and I am trying to gather as much info as possible on the correct way to fish them. I recently purchased a Fraser king bar rod to give that a go as well, I am going to see if I can persuade one of the more experienced bar fishers on this site to school me on the ins and outs of bar fishing as I have never tried it in the river past Mission although I have had great success bar fishing the lower river for Coho.

I am sure the many members on this site will be able to give you more info on some other methods that they find effective for them

Centerpin 8)
If you were going to try tossing spoons then I would suggest doing it at the mouth of the Chehalis into the harrison I lost a monster spring there two years ago landed a 28 pound chum and had at least 5 cohos on in a day :p

I think why its so good is because the fish hold there waiting to go up the chehailis whenn the waters low

good luck and congrats on convertin livinlarge :peace:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Barfishing can be really fun. All you need is your rod, some friends (even non-fishing friends) a cooler full of pops and burgers, and a campfire. Cast bar rig, set rod in rod holder, put bell on end, toss frisbee and drink beer. Wait for bell. Easy and fun! Enjoy!

Matt

243 Posts
marko said:
I have just recently heard of an intresting method of bachtrolling with a flatfish and cutplug...

Dare to care... :beerchug: Marko
I hope no one has tried it on the Fraser, its illegal to use fin fish for bait in fresh water, except for the headless body or bodyless head, for sturgeon. I know, I sent DFO and MOE emails to clarify the topic. In a nutshell, off limits.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hello from south of the border( re:salmon slayer ). I have done some backtrolling from drift boats and from jet sleds mostly in the nooksack and skagit rivers. This year I have fished the Frasier river primarily at grassy bar, so I may be able to shed some light on this technique. It is not my favorite method, so I'm sure there is better info out there, but I'll put my 2 cents in.

The basic technique is to find fish holding water and anchor or very slowly drift and back row through the "hole" with either a hot shot, wiggle or mag wart,kwickfish, etc. with about 50' of line out. It is important to note that your boat must be running slower than the river flow to achieve proper lure presentation. If your tip is vibrating and you have tuned your lure to run in a straight line, it is operating properly. I personally don't like the anchor technique since you limit some of the water you are fishing. I favor a slow drift through the hole to maximize the water you can cover. This requires a strong back and arms to do this all day. It can be very productive. As far as the terminal rigging goes, I run 3' to 8' ' of 10 to 15# test depending on water conditions(don't even ask if this is flossing because it isn't). Do not use any swivel snaps or tie knots tight against the lure eye since this severely affects the lure action. Remember that this technique is for the above rivers (medium to medium large).

Now for the Frazier. From my limited experience on this river at grassy bar, I don't see how you use this method effectively without really pissing off a lot of people. I did use a drift fishing technique, but i gave it up since it was very tiring to do. You set up for drifting the bar for casting as the other boats in the line, use the above mentioned terminal gear set up, but add enough weight to get close to the bottom without hitting the bottom too often. Also, I would use the mag wart in green or blue, or a large kwikfish. Pulling the lure out of the water after every cast became too tiring for me, so I did not do it long enough to see how well it would work in the frasier.

I hope this sheds some light on the subject.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Somehow "bottom bouncing" has become the same as "flossing" :wallbash:

Put weight on an extremely long leader with any type of lure, hook, plug, bait, etc and you have an unethical situation.

Somehow if I tie up a yarn fly, use an 18 inch leader, and a pencil weight I am a person worthy of a religious conversion experience??? :pissed:

I hope that I don't run into any missionaries/zelots when I am fishing cuz I might have a word or two to add to the conversation.

Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC (www.gofishbc.com) produced a couple of videos that sell for about $12 on various techniques including 3 half-hour segments on backtrolling for salmon in rivers. Very worth the money.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thanks a bunch for the post moro :cheers: I was considering using this method in a known travel lane on the lower fraser. I liked the idea of using a larger lure with what would seem like more action than a spin n glo. Besides just putting something different in front of fish can be produtive. Being on the lower fraser (tidal) there is far less traffic and more water. The only people I generally have to look out for are a couple boats that are often drift netting. Is there any reason I shouldn't use the kicker to hold back the boat instead of rowing? Seems to me you use the motor when trolling normally so I don't know why I wouldn't when back trolling. Provided I can go slow enough. If that doesnt work than a parachute out the bow might provide enough drag to get the lure working... My goal really is to cover water which obviously doesn't happen when plunking or bar fishing. Now if only I could use a sardine wrap >:D :-X .... Guess I'll make due with some good ole stink in a bottle :beerchug:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.