BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am looking for any info on a group called the coquihalla river keepers or watchers.( I think)

I read about them on another forum and will be damned I cant find it again after a long time searching and googling.

From what I read they were a group of concerned Coq.anglers keeping an eye on things up their.
I am apalled at the lack of enforcement on our rivers and this past weekend was no different with
guys chucking gear and bait in the coq. :wallbash:

Time to do something.

Bluesteele.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah called Rapp which by the way after calling the #7277 the guy on the other end kept telling me I had the wrong number...
Govt crap.. Then called the 877 number and reported it. Have done numerous times in the past as well.

Which is why I am asking abouth the group because I've called the MOE and RAPP till I am blue in the face and nothing changes.
No one ever calls back and says yeah we did something.

Signage is virtually nonexsistent on the river as well as most rivers. The coq is the exception as it is a fragile fishery. With the amount
of people camping their you would think someone would pull their head out of their ass and step up enforcement.
Guys go campimg atv dirtbiking throw a spin rod and dew worms in the truck and party time. Go bonk a steelie thinking its a rainbow.

Driving up Mon am 4 people spinning. 3 ignorant I would say and one a sneak as he was floating a big pool and hanging back in the bush.
Went to approach him and he took off into the bush.

Spoke to the other 3 and got a oh well their is no signs response and other two stopped.
No license numbers as all campers from what I can tell. Yes I did take photos. In fact I will always take a peek through the binocs at other
flyfishers to see what they are up to.

No problems in speaking up.

So whats a guy to do...

Bluesteele

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have left notes on winshields in the past, saying I saw you POACHING and I'am reporting you with video and a licence # .I think some of em get the message. most of em are just ignorant.

I did notice one poacher in paticular get 2 flat tires one day ??? :-* I dunno how he got 2 flats in one day.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jetboatjim said:
I have left notes on winshields in the past, saying I saw you POACHING and I'am reporting you with video and a licence # .I think some of em get the message. most of em are just ignorant.

I did notice one poacher in paticular get 2 flat tires one day ??? :-* I dunno how he got 2 flats in one day.
:thumbup:

I hear ya...2 flats what a shame :happy:

243 Posts
bluesteele said:
Have been in contact with this group and will be giving them my support and help.
Well, your doing better than I did with that group. I showed up and met two other guys and we put up a bunch of signs, then I didnt hear anything about it again, ever, so I continued to go up and replace signs and keep an eye on things for over a year until I ran out of signs and ambition to go it alone. Let me assure you, the needless poaching of those summer runs does not stop late in the fall when there are no law abiding anglers around fishing the river. When heavy frost and snow start to fall, the only tracks on the river are from people fishing for those fish that are holed up until the spring spawn :( Worse off though is Silverhope with the hoards of campers that line the banks of the river all summer long when the Skagit park is full. Spinning rods and a can of dew worms in every makeshift roadside camping spot not to mention the "trout" slaughter in the lake. Its amazing that theres any fish left in there at all :-\

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kryptonite said:
bluesteele said:
Have been in contact with this group and will be giving them my support and help.
Well, your doing better than I did with that group. I showed up and met two other guys and we put up a bunch of signs, then I didnt hear anything about it again, ever, so I continued to go up and replace signs and keep an eye on things for over a year until I ran out of signs and ambition to go it alone. Let me assure you, the needless poaching of those summer runs does not stop late in the fall when there are no law abiding anglers around fishing the river. When heavy frost and snow start to fall, the only tracks on the river are from people fishing for those fish that are holed up until the spring spawn :( Worse off though is Silverhope with the hoards of campers that line the banks of the river all summer long when the Skagit park is full. Spinning rods and a can of dew worms in every makeshift roadside camping spot not to mention the "trout" slaughter in the lake. Its amazing that theres any fish left in there at all :-\
Hey there Kryptonite... Good on ya for helping out.My fishing partner and I hit the rivers hard these last few years and in hundreds of days fishing saw one CO and were later checked out by the same Co that same day on the birkenhead. The crap we have seen makes me cringe. I dont kmow what is wrong with the system but obviously lack of officers is a start.

So if I can put up a few signs hand out some regs to those willing to take them and report the poachers maybe it will help.

Like any endeavour alot of time and effort is required to make a go of it. We all have busy lives and the more of us that take the time to at the least speak up and let the anglers that are ignorant of the regs know what they are doing right or wrong the better. Their will always be the blatant rule breakers that dont give a crap but the more eyes that go on them and report them the better.

I would really love to see a wall of shame :happy:

My buddy and I fished the silverhope and coq last weekend and we decided to coin the silverhope "the terrorized river. What a shame...
Small run of summers but they are their and what a shame to see what they go through.

Anyhow I believe signage,even tho I am sure will be vandalized, even if only a few see it can help. Certainly cant hurt!

Bluesteele

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.