BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,165 Posts
evan said:
yup,hopefully it would slowly rebuild itself to be that majestic river once again! :'(
Only if they vote out the politicians that sit at municipal hall. They keep approving developments that drain into the river as well a gravel removal close to the river. This is the perfect example for other rivers on what not to do.

· Registered
20 Posts
I hope this link works:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?k=96803&id=08bb5fa9-abf6-4a8f-a95a-69ccb74bde09

It is an article earlier this year ran in the Vancouver Sun about sockeye returning to the river. The Coquitlam river used to have a large run of sockeye. There were only 2 females that returned so don't get your hopes up for a fishery of some sort in the near future. It sure would be nice though if a fish ladder were built so that salmon could pass through to the upper coquitlam river.

· Registered
124 Posts
Like Shane said, this river is very sensitive. It is the 7th most endangered river in B.C. this year and 5th last year. At one time this river was one of the best, but due mining, heavy sedimentation, and damming this river's fish stocks have significantly declined. If you are going to fish this river keep this in mind.

King Fisher

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Hey Barbless....I think you might be referring to the Allouette River with the sockeye return.....Not sure about sockeye in the Coq....Some fish were released from the Allouette reservoir and some adults returned last year..........Ortho 8)

· Registered
1,160 Posts
"Coquitlam" is native for "little red fish".
This river was once a hotbed for Sockeye and the residents were covinced that it would be a good idea to let runs of these fish die off( as opposed to working to allow them to survive)as they would pollute the drinkin water with their spawn.
It is apparent that they could be re introduced and some people would like to see it accomplished.
The Kokanee are still in the lake holding the genetic code as same as the lake rainbows would hold the DNA of the original Steelhead strain.
This river could be easily improved, it would only need a politician with some testicles to make some changes to the abuses now happening in regards to aggregate companies.
Imagine "paddle wheelers" and barges being brought up the Coquitlqm and you will get a glimpse of how big and important this river was and it was a very good Salmon and Steelhead stream.

· Registered
1,165 Posts
I know they do want to re-establish a sockeye run using the Pitt river strain but they want to wait and see how it works on the Allouette first. On the Allouette they will be checking the dam area on the river side every day and collecting any sockeye that are there. They will truck these fish around the dam and release them into the lake until the fish ladder has been completed.

· Registered
74 Posts
i could have sworn on my last dollar that i have found a few dead sockeye along the coquitlam last year :eek: then again it is possible a fish or two took a wrong turn ::)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.