BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
There is a small run. I've spent countless hours on that river wothout even a sniff. The only guys I know that have pulled anything out are the guys who fish it every day. The hatchery stopped producing steelies about 5 years ago and the stock has dropped dramatically (C&R only). Plus the help of all of the construction/gravel pitt filling in all the spawning beds...ever notice that the river always runs brown?
My suggestion is to head to a different flow and try your luck, speaking from experience. I haven't been back there in about a year. But if you want to try your luck, go do some exploring. Try the whole river top to bottom. With so little fish it gets pretty hard finding out where they are day to day!

·
Registered
233 Posts
This river does not need anymore pressure!!! this thread does not need to go on. :oops: :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Well, I don't think you have to worry about the Coquitlam River, Cody....The gravel operations have pretty much looked after the Non Success of most fishers that venture there.....With the hook up ratio being one fish per 100 hrs...I know why people fish other streams....It's a bit like the Stave, Allouette, Kanaka Creek and a whole bunch of other small streams in the lower mainland........they all have steelhead, but they are very rare, and hardly worth putting in the time.......Ortho

·
Registered
578 Posts
Something for you to think about Cody! If the anglers are not on the river sending licence plate numbers to fisheries, the poachers and polluters have a free forall. Check out the poaching on Hoy Creek. The gravel miners on the Coquit are loving the dropping numbers of anglers on what they thing is their personal washtub.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
it's replys like coho cody's whitch kinda ticks me off!(no offence cody) but all the question that was asked was is there any steelhead in the river? WHO CARES IF HE WANTS TO FISH IT! big or small run if it was that bad don't you think the river would be closed indefinatly? enough of the remarks on don't fish these rivers, if ppl want to try there luck on these small rivers let em! if there was a problem with these rivers the regs would state it i'm sure!!!!!! i like to here reports on little systems so everyone should post there outings no matter where! if you catch a trout or bullhead in a ditch on your street for that matter tell us about it thats what this site is for right? i'm sure your a great kid cody but remarks like don't talk about rivers like the Coquitlam theres no fish there is a little unnessary don't ya think? my 2 cents........

Coho_Killer

·
Registered
233 Posts
well it seems you promote the small fragile systems a lot which I do not think is very good. im just saying that the more talk about it, the more people. its not my river so whoever wants to fish it may fish it. the problem is that there are many people one forums who would love to go out for a good old time and snag some steelhead. im just saying :roll:

S

·
0 Posts
Why does it always seem to be anglers who aren't even of age to have a beer that are telling people to keep off of these small flows, the flows they probably just started fishing themselves in the past couple years? Anyways, this is no promotion of the Coquitlam, but there are a few steelhead in there, as well as a few bull trout too. Put in the time on the river, and you may be rewarded with a nice one. Any run-off at all will turn it a pukey brown, in which case you're better off heading elsewhere. If you live in the area, as I did for a couple years, it's worth spending some time on it getting to know it.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Sorry SummerRun. I've met Cody on the water. He's a good fisherman and that has nothing to do with age. If anyone wishes to protect the environment, I can think of no-one better than someone who has 30 or 40 years more potential fishing than I do. It's their resource that I am only borrowing for the time being. I don't want to get into the whole promote/don't promote discussion except to say that everyone on this board has a right to their own opinion and should have the right to express that opinion, even if it means disagreeing with each other occasionally.

·
Registered
27 Posts
SummerRun said:
Why does it always seem to be anglers who aren't even of age to have a beer that are telling people to keep off of these small flows, the flows they probably just started fishing themselves in the past couple years?

we have the power because we are the ones that are going to keep the fishing good and the environment clean in the future while you are lieing on your death bed :D :D :D :D

S

·
0 Posts
Heh heh, I'm not that much older than you guys, but it is entirely possible that I may be on my deathbed soon. :wink: In the past ten years or so that I've been watching these sites, I've just noticed that a trend has developed, in particular with the Coquitlam River. I can even remember some of the handles the boys used to have on AnglingBC in the late 90's who would give the same speech every time river X (usually the Coquitlam) was mentioned. I'm not making any judgments about people's angling ability or personal intentions, I just get a kick out of seeing this repeat itself over the years. I grew up on the Alouette and have fished it for 20 years now (I'm 27), and while I see the same types of posts regarding internet promotion of that river, I have personally seen very little that would support the claims that people who may see these reports or comments on a river then go out and abuse the system. I like my home river, and I have no problem if others discover it and become its friend as well.

·
Registered
209 Posts
so there are a few fish in the Coquit, ah ok, i think i'll just fish the Cap instead.
Thanks!

D

·
0 Posts
ive fished the coquitlam river a few times this past winter but got no bits .and ive never seen anyone pull out a steal head ..ive asked a few old timers that ive seen fishing it ,they said it used to be unreal for steelhead ontill CEWE started the gravel mines up river .i know in late september early october its flooded with pinks and chummers .ive herd it has a small coho run . ive never caught one out of it thou.. oh yah dont forget its catch and release only :p

·
Registered
131 Posts
oh man! can we mention the cap in here? :roll: :lol: :roll:

·
Banned
33 Posts
there is no fish in this river, yet i c&r every year :D :D those fish are like surrey girls of old...(easy) :)

·
Banned
33 Posts
Why would someone have a great place to fish and then post it on a web site????BETTER TO KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT AND LOOK A FOOL,THAN OPEN IT AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts