BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
pretty hard to get a decent trade when the opposition knows you are desperate to unload salary. Gillis looked pretty good as a GM when the league decoided to bring skill back into the game and to cut down on obstruction in all its forms. Suddenly the league shifts its direction and Gillis and any other team that bought into the "skills" mind-set (see Pittsburgh) is looking lost. Can't blame a GM who took Bettman at his word (or maybe you can). My feelings are the NHL is a Mickey Mouse league and is run by a Sesame Street character. At least the NBA fans had the good sense to boo their commish every time he came on stage at the draft. And he is the guy Bettman has modelled himself on and wants to become!!!

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Gillis made a big mistake, and should be fired for signing Loungo to that ridiculous contract. To trade a goalie of Schnieders calibre for a 9th over all pick is ludricous. Schnieder will win a cup in New jersey...
Bull. Gillis should be fired, I agree, but he should be sacked for his dismal lack of drafting, keeping and developing good prospects. "That ridiculous contract" is no more ridiculous than a couple dozen other contracts (e.g. Marion Hossa -12 years-$62.5 million, Henrik Zetterberg-12 years-$73 million, Duncan Keith - 12 years - $70.5 million, Johann Farnzen - 11 years-$43.5 million, Rick DiPietro - 15 years -$67.5 million, Mike Richards -12 years -$69 million, Alex Ovechkin-13 years-$124 million, Nik Backstrom-10 years- 67 million....oh yeah, Vincent Lacavalier-11 years-$85 million - had to buy him out.) all signed before the recent CBA gutted all teams salary caps and again showed that there is no possibility for long-term planning, let alone long-term contracts. And you would have been able to get what for Schnieder??? If I am an opposition GM, the first question I would ask you is "What the hell has Schnieder won as a starting goalie?". Yeah, it would have been good to get a bunch more for him (and we could have if Gillis had wanted to arm a division rival with the goods), but the market ain't good for a desperate seller. Schnieder winning a Cup with NJ...Not unless the Devils put up a much better team in front of him than they have now. By no means am I wanting to keep Gillis on, but if you want to argue he should go, at least come up with a good reason.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.