BC Fishing Reports banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
yeah AV just laughed things off. Although popular, I think torts will be good for vancouver media. They need to be told what's up.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Gillis made a big mistake, and should be fired for signing Loungo to that ridiculous contract. To trade a goalie of Schnieders calibre for a 9th over all pick is ludricous. Schnieder will win a cup in New jersey...

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Gillis made a big mistake, and should be fired for signing Loungo to that ridiculous contract. To trade a goalie of Schnieders calibre for a 9th over all pick is ludricous. Schnieder will win a cup in New jersey...
Bull. Gillis should be fired, I agree, but he should be sacked for his dismal lack of drafting, keeping and developing good prospects. "That ridiculous contract" is no more ridiculous than a couple dozen other contracts (e.g. Marion Hossa -12 years-$62.5 million, Henrik Zetterberg-12 years-$73 million, Duncan Keith - 12 years - $70.5 million, Johann Farnzen - 11 years-$43.5 million, Rick DiPietro - 15 years -$67.5 million, Mike Richards -12 years -$69 million, Alex Ovechkin-13 years-$124 million, Nik Backstrom-10 years- 67 million....oh yeah, Vincent Lacavalier-11 years-$85 million - had to buy him out.) all signed before the recent CBA gutted all teams salary caps and again showed that there is no possibility for long-term planning, let alone long-term contracts. And you would have been able to get what for Schnieder??? If I am an opposition GM, the first question I would ask you is "What the hell has Schnieder won as a starting goalie?". Yeah, it would have been good to get a bunch more for him (and we could have if Gillis had wanted to arm a division rival with the goods), but the market ain't good for a desperate seller. Schnieder winning a Cup with NJ...Not unless the Devils put up a much better team in front of him than they have now. By no means am I wanting to keep Gillis on, but if you want to argue he should go, at least come up with a good reason.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hossa, Zetterberg, Kieth, Franzen, have won cups. Luongo will not. Gillis has hung a albatross around our necks, to which we will never recover, untill the Acquilinis fire Gillis and buy out Luongo.

·
Registered
452 Posts
.... we will never recover, untill the Acquilinis fire Gillis and buy out Luongo.
They have until Thursday... or am I mistaken?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I believe Gillis should have been fired!End of story
Sneids should have been at least a 2 for 1 deal if not more!

Reactions: Davis

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I don't think they're going to buy him out now that this has been done...not until after next season at least.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
You have to feel for schnieder in all this too, he was promised the number 1 job here and now goes to a similar situation in jersey where brodeur is the starting goalie and cory will be the backup for the foreseeable future, i am sure he will get some decent time in net, but unless brodeur tanks it cory will be watching a lot of games from the bench

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I don't think they're going to buy him out now that this has been done...not until after next season at least.
I think the buy out option is one time thing ...this year only.

·
Registered
460 Posts
It would costs the Accquilinis 25 million to buy out Loungo. There not even willing to buy out that under achiever Ballard for 4.5 million. another one of Gillis blunders, so they put him on waivers. Doubt anyone will take him off the Canucks. They call Vancouver the "graveyard of goalies". I say bring back King Richard. Lol

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hey, hey, hey now Davis...The King was awesome! Let's not sully those memories by bringing them up here, LoL...;)

·
Registered
784 Posts
Davis, they placed ballard on waivers to position him for a buyout.
As far as Lou goes it was certainly not handled the best possible way. Lou has a lot of talent. We will be fine in net next year as he will get the majority of the starts and seems to flourish with a heavy workload. Given the choice I would have kept Cory, way more upside; however, that choice was not there. I am just glad this didn't play out any longer.

Now lets all just remember the situation could be MUCH worse...we could be Toronto fans.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I think the buy out option is one time thing ...this year only.
The compliance buyout option is available next year as well and then it is done. I agree with Ribby though, they will not buy him out and I agree they should not. Do the canucks have an opt out option eventually on Lou....?

I would have liked to see Corey go to Edmonton for a higher return, once Edmonton goes on track I think they will be out classing our boys who will be rebuilding anyways in a couple years. Corey or any other decent goalie will allow them to run over our group like so many slugs for a while unfortunately.

Only time will tell I guess.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I saw on the news yesterday. That big head of Gillis saying now he has to go down to talk to Loungo who hasn't said one word to the media about Schnieder getting traded. It sounds like Lou is choked he wasn't the one to get traded. On man wouldn't it look good on Gillis if Lou refuses to report to camp. Lol. I mean really do the smucks want a goalie that doesn't want to be here?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
It would free up lots of $$ if Lou refused to report. A player can't not play if he's under contract, just like a team cannot refuse to pay a player who is. As far as playing for the Canucks, Lous feeling are a moot point, he's obligated to report and to play. Contracts are a two-way street, his Canuck deal has set him up for life, his children's lives, and likely their children. He doesn't have the right to demand a contract and then piss and cry and refuse to work when his feelings are hurt. No wonder we can't win a cup, the whole team is an F'n soap opera from the top down. How is it that Fox hasn't filmed and aired it yet is beyond me.

Lou has shown he has the emotional maturity of a 16 year old, he is all but rendered useless unless he can grow a set of balls and realize he's a very lucky guy. And Gillis is no better, he's the conductor of a bunch of drama-queens. I'm sure that Tort's will either change the culture of entitlement or be shown the door rather quickly.

As much as I love the Canucks, I think it's a rather telling social commentary that teams made of real men are winning cups, and the teams made up of whiners and players who feel entitled are left cup-less (of course they have no use for cups as they have no balls). The diminished returns of guys like Luongo are quickly becoming evident. We may be a better team with Luongo, but I'm sure we're better off without him.

Of course Lou hasn't said one word about the situation, so who know where his head is... but saying nothing is just as bad as a break down in public... or maybe it's worse to say nothing... too much drama for me!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
You know I dont think its about how much money Lou makes, he still has pride and alot of it...Sure his contract was ridiculous along with many others.. but he and Cory have both been yo yo 'd back and forth... And now that Lou is left... which I do not think is a bad thing..He is still a very good goalie... (Mindu if he can get his head back into it here!).. both of these guys I think have handled it as well as anyone could ... I myself feel for both of them... And what I heard was Lou was looking at his options...Hes probably so sick of the BS... and can you blame him... he probably doesnt want to be here because the fans seem like they dont want him here along with how do you keeping changing your mindset your the guy - no your the guy! ... I just think the whole thing was handled very poorly..... At this rate.. I cant see us winning the cup for an awefully long time... maybe not in my life time... and this frusterates me...
And I dont know about the REAL Men winning the cups... I think the ref's decide that alot of the time too!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Luo hasn't said anything to the media because he is playing in the WSOP main event. Thats were his head is. The fox did an interview with him and they feel like his head is in florida, and they say he wouldn't answer if he was staying or not. We could have no goalie by the start of the season.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I heard that interview too, he is definitely thinking about poker, it sure didn't sound like he was too excited about the situation (can you blame him?) It would be funny if Gillis went to Florida and Lou is on a long run in Vegas. ;) All in!!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts