BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what do you do? Cover them or leave them open to the elements....???

People that I know own trailers or campers are 50/50 on whether to cover or not. Some same it holds moisture in if covers, others diagree........::)

Tell me what you do and why.... just picked up a great camper and in the past I have done both, covered and left uncovered but the capers I use to have, well, it didn't matter....::)

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
111 Posts
I used to have an 18ft trailer and never covered it. I used a small fan to keep air moving as well as one of those moisture traps and never had a problem. It's a good idea to keep all the cupboards open too.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Chaulk chaulk and more chaulk, Mom and dad had to learn the hard way that maitenance on trailers is actually quite high if you want them to last. They had their Wanderer for for five years when they started to notice a ripple in the side and one in the front. They had the front corner rebuilt as there was water damage in there. Last year we pulled it in the shop to investigate the ripple. After taking off the side we found that pretty much the whole middle section was so rotted the wood was crumbling. The insulation, even though it was under a tarp outside and then in the shop for about a month was saturated with water. Floor joists were even rotting out on the bathroom floor. Being this far into it we pulled the other side off and same results. It was amazing to see the door literally hanging their by a tiny chunk of the header. So we are now going to be doing a complete frame up on it due to the fact that there was no maitenance. My buddy has on that is 3 years older and he is anal and I mean anal about re chaulking the joints, vents and any other potential leaks at least once a year. He also picked up a cover from I believe ABCO industries. Grey breathable mesh, protects against uv damage and also keeps the water off it. I think it cost him a couple hundred bucks, but it's better that spending thousands on the rebuild.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Hmmmmmmm.....

Still 50/50 on the cover or not........???
When we purchased out tent trailer this year we took it into Arbutus RV here on the Island for a once-over and some advice. Here's what they told us:

• NEVER cover your trailer with a blue tarp!!! It keeps the moisture in (along with the dirt, etc)
  • Open all the inside doors (fridge, cupboards) and prop them open. You can buy little "plugs" that keep the doors open.
  • Dri-Z!! (check it every 2-4 weeks depending how wet your area is)
  • Open up the trailer every few weeks and leave the windows open to air it out
  • remove all the foam (ie seat cushions, etc) and store it in a warm/dry place. Mold will grow in here faster than anywhere else
We purchased a proper trailer cover from the US for approx $165 incl shipping. It's a goretex-like material and the company we got it from has rave reviews. PM me for details (I don't have the name with me right now).

As for caulking the living be-jesus out of your trailer....completely unecessary if it was built properly and you care for it. I know people that have 20 year old trailers and have zero water ingress after only "normal" maintenance (cleaning the exterior, etc). UV damage to exposed caulk will cause it to crack so getting a cover or storing your trailer inside is the best way to prevent that. A cover will also prevent any kind of dirt from afixing itself to the outside of your trailer. Tiny dirt particles get into the smallest areas and, over time, will really play havoc with the "important parts".

There's no way I would store my trailer outside without a proper cover.

·
Registered
670 Posts
my camper is fairly new and don’t have any issues with leaks.
in the instruction booklet it specifically says NOT to cover.
also check your roof once a year for any damage or peeling sealant.
also I added extra rubber sealant in some questionable areas for peace of mind.
I agree with leaving everything open, and I use a few dry air white crystal things.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Another nice thing about my little Boler clamshell trailer is that it is under 7 feet tall and rolls into my garage. If I had a camper I think I'd crank it down onto skateboard wheels and roll it in too. Very dry and good for security too.

DSD.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts