BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DFO Fisheries notice October 19,2006 Effective 00:01 October 19 until further notice, the Cowichan River will be
closed to angling for salmon from the weir downstream to the tidal water
boundary until further notice. This action is to protect returning chinook
stocks that are at low numbers and poor migration conditions resulting from the
very low water levels.

This shouldn't be surprising news. The river has been dangerously low. At the height of yesterdays rain, the run above the Silver Bridge was just a patch of wet gravel. The hatchery workers have been netting fish at the mouth to try to slavage returning spawners.

Hope for a week of consistant rain.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The fact that D.F.O has decided to close the river from the wier at Lake Cowichan to the tidal boundary, for conservation purposes is a noble act indeed. But if they really wanted to do something about the plight of the Cowichan salmon stocks, then maybe something should be done about the indiscriminate slaughter of fish by the Cowichan Tribes. Take a drive down to the mouths of the river, at the estuary bridges and witness first hand " The native RIGHT, to fish their traditional way with spear and wound hundreds of fish in the process. The fish will not move into the upper reaches of the river because of lack of water, and will move in and out of the estuary milling about, waiting for rain. Every new high tide produces another batch of sitting ducks. The " I WAS HERE FIRST NATIONS " are relentless in their pursuit and conservation is the last thing on their minds. It is a slap in the face to every sportfisher who purchases the required licenses and then gets shut down as if it is our fault that the situation exsists. D.F.O. knows what is going on but are powerless to do anything because of some bleeding heart politician in Ottawa, who is sympathetic to the native wants not needs, and as a result the fisheries suffer. First nations may one day look down only to realize that they have shot their feet off and that salmon no longer exsist. Chalupa

·
Registered
3 Posts
Narrow Minded

I couldn't agree with you more. It is a shame that they give total disregard to the situation. All their worried about is filling their pockets. GREEDY!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cowichan Closure

I couldn't agree with you any more as well. I don't understand this stupid"Native right" rule. I live up in Duncan, and fish the cowichan every season. This year in my opinion is ruined with the low water.

But what I don't get is why woudn't the first nations want to preserve the resource? The river is in trouble with stocks dwindling, and what to they do? They sit at the end of the river and spear fish which they know are at risk from being endangered.

When fisheries says no angling that means native spearing as well. I am a BC citizen, and I am forbidden to fish that tidal mark. The same should be applied to all Native/Non-Native period.

This is such a greedy practice . I suggest they do this say... one month spear fishing only for traditional purposes and that's it. No discussion or debates just fairness, and everyone get's what they want. DFO needs more control on that river or the stelhead and salmnon will be a thing of the past.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts