BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its time for another setup but I can't make up my mind on what to try out next. I presently have 3 decent baitcasters, two 6wt and one 3 wt fly rods. After taking up fly fishing this year going back to the baitcasters for salmon sounds rather boring, I haven't tried a CP yet but it looks like alot more fun. I rather enjoy chucking feathers but high and fast water can be limiting at times if you don't have the time to go exploring. Watching peeps on the Spey looks like a riot and is something I know I will get into one day but all I can see is me knocking the cigar out of my mouth every second cast.
I have about $1400 to spend so my options are not too limited, I'am curious as to which option you guys would take in this never ending pursuit of fish.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
jeesh with 1400 bucks you could get one hell of a sweet CP setup. if i had that i would be buying the Talisman reel by Milner it retails for $800 at Fred's (last i looked online) and I think someone has one up for sale here as well (FisherForever, i think) and then match it with a nice Sage pin rod. Flyrod seems to have a hole bunch for sale lately :peace: and you would still have money left over.

OR

you could go a little cheaper on each setup and get a spey and a CP setup :thumbup:

realistically your options are endless LOL happy shopping

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking about buying two lesser price setups for a CP and Spey, but I know I would upgrade again before the seasons over....I have a gear problem. The CP would likely get me into more fish but the spey sounds like it would be more fun to catch them on, so I guess its a quantity over quality thing that holds back on the decision making.

· Registered
8 Posts
you could easily get 2 decent set ups for that much, watch the spey rods though if you fish smaller rivers you might want to think about a good 8 or 9 weight rod with a Rio Outbound line that way you can practice your spey on larger sections or rivers or fish single hand on the smaller sections, it's a very adaptable. Centre pins are great anywhere, and if I'm not sure what water conditons are going to be like I bring both.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.