BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for a new centerpin reel. Want to know what kind of brands I should lean towards and stay away from. My budget is wanting to stay low, if I can, but I still want good quailty.
Also, if anyone has a reel that they don't use, is still in good shape or new, send me a PM.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Islander or Milner and you can't go wrong! They are a good penny but well worth it. The casting and drift you get from these are second to none. If you are on a tight budget Trophy XL makes one called the "winter run" My uncle has one and I saw him land a spring on it a few years back.Mind you he lost a few before he got the one.I thought he was crazy usiing a CP for spring fishing.Knuckle burners

Okuma makes one too but don't know much about that one. Remember you get what you pay for!!!!
I have two Islanders and I love them and I'm pretty sure I'll be passing them to my kids one day. They are sweeeeeet!

Hotrod

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Islander for Sure!!! But trophy does make a more affordable one, it used to be the Winter run, it was an open face similar to the islanders. Now they have come out with one called the Wild River. It had more of an encapsulated case similar to that of a HArdy Silex. This new one is pretty sweet and should be checked out for sure!

·
Registered
77 Posts
This is my personal preference is that Silex centre-pin reels are quite durable and will last for years without failure. I know there are (maybe)no new Silex reel for sale but there some good used ones around. I have try and re-sold the Islander CP reel I own when it first came on the market. ( Bad ball bearings) I also own and re-sold IMW and Milner CP reels.

The best ball bearing CP reel I believed ever builded was Mcdonald CP made by I believed his name was Norm Mcdonald over Van. Island. I had chance to buy one back in 80's for around $600.00 in 4 1/2" size but with young family and mortages............. you know the story.

Silex-user.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hey reelangler. The Islander Steelheader is coming out in forest green and slate grey. I think the forest green would be pretty cool!
Here's what is said on the website.
The new colors will be "Forest Green" and "Slate Grey". Reels in the "Forest Green" color will be an exclusive color for Searun Fly and Tackle for a period of one year.

:thumbup:
hotrod said:
I have the black and silver one! I'm not too keen on the gold one myself. The silver one is sweeeet!
I agree with you on the silver Hotrod. I got it too. Definetly is SWEET!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.