BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small pin reel, and am thinkin about giving it a whirl. The reel will probably only be good for small rivers and streams, so what would be a good rod for starting out. Meaning length and action. I have never pin fished before so I dont have much knowledge about it, so any infomation would be good. Not looking to spend tons of money(yet) just dont wanna buy something that I may find out isnt what i really wanted in the first place. One of the guys at berrys recommended a 9' trophy rod, it was around $100 if i recall correctly, but thought I would ask around first.

:beerchug: Thanks, Steve-O

· Banned
2,854 Posts
well knowing what kind of pin it is and the size of the spool will help greatly in what length and power to go with. I fish a 4 1/4" CP with a 3113 (11' 3"-3power) and it matches perfect and good for small rivers and even bigger ones (not the fraser though)

if your going to be using the reel for drift fishing i would go with a 2106(2power-10'6") or a 3113(3power-11'3") or if you want longer and a bit tougher you can use a 4120(4power-12') most people on the river use 3113 rods though.

i bought mine at A&N for 189.99 and its a TFO havent had any problems with it yet at all :thumbup: very pleased

· Banned
2,854 Posts
ya i bought one of those but a level wind one for BBing and a friend was using it and the tip broke off :pissed: :pissed: it had only been fished 3 times MAYBE :pissed: needless to say im choked about it

· Registered
1,461 Posts
HOOK said:
well knowing what kind of pin it is and the size of the spool will help greatly in what length and power to go with. I fish a 4 1/4" CP with a 3113 (11' 3"-3power) and it matches perfect and good for small rivers and even bigger ones (not the fraser though)

if your going to be using the reel for drift fishing i would go with a 2106(2power-10'6") or a 3113(3power-11'3") or if you want longer and a bit tougher you can use a 4120(4power-12') most people on the river use 3113 rods though.

i bought mine at A&N for 189.99 and its a TFO havent had any problems with it yet at all :thumbup: very pleased
HOOK the size of the pin doesn't matter as much as the rod does. If we're talking Sages here I'd have to say that a good all round rod is the 3113M or MB. A 2106 will be good for smaller flows with a tad smaller fish such as the cap. A 3106 is an awesome coho/steelhead rod as is the 3113M or MB. The steelhead rod of all steelhead rods is the 3113LB thats IF you can find one now a days. The 4120 is gonna be the meat stick which is best suited for big whites and chum. The reason why most people opt for the 3113 is because of the length to keep their line off the water yet it still has good action and bends for smaller fish yet has enough backbone left for the bigger ones as well. Right now I'm fishing a shimano convergence for steelhead, coho, and red springs because I dropped my money on a good rod for the lighter flows and got the shimano for free from a buddy because I built him an anchor for his boat ;D. The shimano is a good stick it has a good action for almost any fish. I'll be buying a 3113M when the "accountant" approves it :p.

Steve-O if you're only looking for a starting rod I'd look at the Temple Fork Outfitters, Shimano's, and even the G-Loomis or Lamiglas rods as they are relatively cheap. I myself think the Trophy's are like 2x4s and don't have much action to them.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reel I wanna use to start is pretty small, so definitly not a 4120, its an old hardy 3 1/2" by 1/2" so i dunno if I will even use it in vedder...I dunno though like I said I am new to this game. I dont have a set price limit, but obviously the cheaper the better starting out is better without buying junk. I did look at a couple G Loomis rods too, but wasnt sure what to look for. I am hoping to fish for smaller salmon and/or trout...what mailline would be best too, I was thinking 10 or 12 pd. This is the reel...

Thanks for the input so far, Steve-O

· Registered
691 Posts
Steve-O said:
Not looking to spend tons of money(yet) just don't wanna buy something that I may find out isn't what i really wanted in the first place. One of the guys at Berry's recommended a 9' trophy rod, it was around $100 if i recall correctly, but thought I would ask around first.
for a rod i would look for a used one in the classifieds as it will save you $ as to spending full price on a new one then see if that's for you and if it is...save or buy the higher end rod that best suites you,like you were saying about smaller flows a 2106 sage is an excellent choice for smaller fish, for myself i wouldn't put anything smaller than a 4" on a 3113 as i feel the reel would be to small for the rod.as for line to that reel i would go with 12lbs myself i think that would be fine for it.
:cheers:

scruff

· Registered
894 Posts
Steve-O said:
The reel I wanna use to start is pretty small, so definitly not a 4120, its an old hardy 3 1/2" by 1/2" so i dunno if I will even use it in vedder...I dunno though like I said I am new to this game. I dont have a set price limit, but obviously the cheaper the better starting out is better without buying junk. I did look at a couple G Loomis rods too, but wasnt sure what to look for. I am hoping to fish for smaller salmon and/or trout...what mailline would be best too, I was thinking 10 or 12 pd. This is the reel...

Thanks for the input so far, Steve-O

NICE reel, looks like a hardy Eureka to me :beerchug:

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
Nice looking little reel you have there Steve-O...

I'd steer away from the shorter rods, you'll find you'll have better line control and castability with a longer rod...I'd also recommend going a little lighter...

I wouldn't put it on a 3113, not the MB anyways, it might feel "funny", a little mismatched in my opinion. You might go with the LB as Shane hinted, or as Scruffy recommended, the 2106...I think that would be a much better fit.

If you can find a decent lighter rod between 10.5-11.5 feet in the classifieds or ebay or something, I think you could put together a beauty little setup for yourself...

Maybe a noodle rod if you can find one at a decent price...

Search around the classifieds or ebay, etc...get some options to choose from in your price range...then maybe we can give you some more precise advice...

:cheers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.