BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happened to here hook mention on anouther thread that you get a better drift with a CP! I always get great drifts with my levelwind always! Any thoughts on this? CK

· Banned
2,854 Posts
try a CP and see what you think CK :p its not that you dont get good drifts with a levelind however you have more control over drift speed with a CP which in turn will give you a better more fine tuned drift :cheers:

· Registered
517 Posts
few days ago I was fishing with my levelwind and hook was fishing with his CP. in order to keep the line going at a certain speed I needed to play quite a bit, whereas hook was able to let the line going very smoothly without so much effort. so I would say that a CP makes a better job, but probably this is not the only reason why he got two nice springs and I didn't catch anything that day :wallbash: :wallbash:

G

· Registered
19 Posts
A lot of people seem to "graduate" from level winds to CP reels. It does take some time to get used to the CP. In general you seem to need a bit more room beside you to cast, and repeated casting long distances with a CP can be more effort. I only use a CP now, havent touched a level wind for years mainly because I prefer to fight fish on the CP. I was always able to get good drifts with either reel however and caught fish with both.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
the main trick with most CP's are to let the reel start spinning before starting your casting stroke. some reels have a really fast pickup and this is not needed then however most bearing reels will need this.

I also got good drifts with my LW and caught tons of fish on it. now that i have switched to a CP the LW is getting lots of dust action :happy:

· Registered
85 Posts
What exactly is a cp reel? I apologize for my ignorance but I am rather new at this. I am still catching most fish on a regular spinning reel - too many birds nests with the level wind - just haven't got the iq for it I guess :(

· Registered
209 Posts
Enniberg said:
What exactly is a cp reel? I apologize for my ignorance but I am rather new at this. I am still catching most fish on a regular spinning reel - too many birds nests with the level wind - just haven't got the iq for it I guess :(
Check out this link on a different forum for different models of CP's. Basically, it's one large spool on a spindle and free spinning. Usually a latching system to hold the spool when you're walking from point A to point B and can be used as a quasi-drag (some come with actual drags).

The biggest difference I've ever found between the two for drifting is when you're drifting real froggy water. With a CP, you can do it, with a LW, it's harder to get a proper drift.

· Registered
290 Posts
centerpin is awesome, my levelwind is now sitting in the dust or whenever i go out with my friend with no salmon gears. seriously it takes a bit of a learning curve to handle a cp, i still haven't gotten it down yet. sometimes you let it drift with a bit of slack line but its sooooo realistic in the drift. sometimes i get the kind of feeling where you threw an object that can float in the river with no line attached to it and you just watch it go. vice versa with a level wind you can't really let the line peel out at different speed. the adjustability of the speed for the drift is awesome not like just flat out one speed. plus you have wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more control in cp vs a level wind but you pay the price of a long exciting awesome cool (haha burnt knuckles instead of burnt thumb) battle with a fish compare to a 5-10 min fight with levelwind. :happy:

· Registered
1,078 Posts
i have to say that i fish both a cp and a level wind depending on when and where i am fishing and find i get the same control of my drift when fishing either. i think if you have a quility level wind that is kept clean you can achieve the same drift as a cp. i will agree that the cp is much nicer to fish with but not because of the way it handles the drift.

· Registered
883 Posts
stsfisher said:
i have to say that i fish both a cp and a level wind depending on when and where i am fishing and find i get the same control of my drift when fishing either. i think if you have a quility level wind that is kept clean you can achieve the same drift as a cp. i will agree that the cp is much nicer to fish with but not because of the way it handles the drift.
Totally agree with you sts... Comparing a pin and baitcaster is like comparing a single hand to a spey rod. These are all tools of the trade for different conditions... This is why I do not confine myself to one specific way of angling, IE feather chucker or bait chucker... Its all personal preference :cheers: sage

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
Good Point Sage...

In recent years there has been an increased amount of anglers using a cp...unfortunately the typical human fallibility that is hubris seems to have shown a similar increase...many anglers pick up a pin, and suddenly think they are "all that...".

As sage has pointed out, it is simply a different tool for the job. Lw's will excel in some situations, while cp's will excel in others...the thing that some anglers enjoy with the cp's is they tend to provide more challenge when fighting fish, but each situation and water type is different, it is a matter of choice or preference...

Personally, I find fishing with a cp is more involved...but in particular situations I wish I had the levelwind with me...

I remember when Hook picked up his pin, about 2 years ago now, and he hasn't turned back to the Lw, and I know of a lot of other anglers that are the same way.... Fishing a pin is fun...but don't let that diminish the perception of those who fish a Lw either...they are as Sage pointed out, just different tools for different conditions.

rib

· Registered
193 Posts
i have always owned a level wind and since i bought my pin last year(thanx fishfreak) it has become a backup reel in my backpack.
have yet to hook up on the pin, but compared to the levelwind i feel i am in touch with what i am doing alot more and dont seem to have those gnarly birdsnests i had on the levelwind. although when i have gotten them ,they are much easier to undo as you can pull the line off the side.still waiting on that one to one ratio fight :wallbash:

· Registered
894 Posts
HOOK said:
the main trick with most CP's are to let the reel start spinning before starting your casting stroke. some reels have a really fast pickup and this is not needed then however most bearing reels will need this.

I also got good drifts with my LW and caught tons of fish on it. now that i have switched to a CP the LW is getting lots of dust action :happy:
i wasnt aware you owned a bearing reel. My bearing reels, islander, jw young, milner.. they all start up better and need less to get them spinning....bushing on the other hand is not as good in frog water and needs to be loaded up more on the cast. There has been a huge influx of people going to centerpin... i dont know why, half can barely cast and drift with it, the other half think they can and think it makes them better than they really are. Master a baitcaster and fishing technique before even thinking to switch to a centerpin.

· Registered
787 Posts
kingpin said:
HOOK said:

i wasnt aware you owned a bearing reel. My bearing reels, islander, jw young, milner.. they all start up better and need less to get them spinning....bushing on the other hand is not as good in frog water and needs to be loaded up more on the cast. There has been a huge influx of people going to centerpin... i dont know why, half can barely cast and drift with it, the other half think they can and think it makes them better than they really are. Master a baitcaster and fishing technique before even thinking to switch to a centerpin.
I agree with what Kingpin said... Hook the only pin you have has is your Streamside upgrade to something better you will see a HUGE !! Difference from your reel to a high quality reels in spinning it makes a big differnce, you can alway upgrade the bearings as well... Merc is good at that he koes what he is doing when it comes to bearings i dont kow to much about that...

I had 3 Winteruns 2 Aventa's 2 Avons 2 Seldex's now Im using my islander and its awesome !!! the quality between lower end reels to higher end reels mkes the world of difference.. the one i probably liked the most before getting the islander would be the Aventa's... they take practice in getting good drifts and casting !!!

Once you try a Center Pin and get good at it you will never go back to Levelwinds.... the 1 on 1 Fight with a fish is awesome !!! no drag to help you out !!!

· Registered
1,061 Posts
kingpin said:
HOOK said:

Thanx KP, you took the words right out of my mouth. Its the latest fashion statement I guess, next to a drycleaned vest that is...

· Registered
787 Posts
barskull said:
kingpin said:
HOOK said:

Thanx KP, you took the words right out of my mouth. Its the latest fashion statement I guess, next to a drycleaned vest that is...
Dont wash your vest LOL it causes bad luck !!

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.