BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone help me with info about prawning and crabbing around gabriola, it will be my first time in that area. where do i start.
thanx

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
labig.....it is a good sized island. Where abouts are you staying or going to be?

Just so you have fair warning the prawning can be tough now as I am usually on Gabriola this coming weekend every year and the commercial guys are working it quite hard.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi, i will be around the silva bay thrasher rock area, but iam not against touring arounfd to find a good spot ::)

·
Registered
816 Posts
It's not very good right now. The commercial guys have and are cleaning up. It will be slow till September but if you have a preson willing to pull a trap for a shrip cocktail go for it anywhere the water is deep enough. I've aways put them around Commadors Pass or the end of Brant Reef. Mostly cause I can keep an eye on em'. Remeber if it is a clear windy day with westerlies that peters out at 6 ish you can expect a WNW blow at 4:00am up to 25 knots... so over night in the summer can be a problem. Best to find a spot that will blow on shore or into shallows.
I've never found any good crabing around Silva Bay. In that bay around the corner at Gabriola Pass I've caught some good Red Rock Crabs and have heard Flase Narrows? is OK. But best to toss em' out in English Bay before you go. And don't believe dungeness are only around in 60' of h2o. I've had better sussess around 100'.
have fun, Jason

1 - 4 of 4 Posts